Fluorescent lights

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
About 4 or 5 years ago the local utility did an energy survey at my wife's store, and they replaced about 150 old-style fluorescent light bulbs and their ballasts with new "energy saving" ballasts and new LED 4' light tubes. The store lighting was much improved, and the cost to us was about $1500. It took 2 electricians 4 days to complete the work. The plus was more and better lighting, but there wasn't 1 cent of energy savings. Just a smoke and mirror job to comply with some energy regulation. I was told that if the new bulbs saved 50 KW of energy, that it was like the utility added 50 KW of generation to the overall system. They are now proposing to remove the ballasts from these fixtures and install new LED tubes that work on 120 volts without any ballasts at all. Once again they claim that it will lower the energy bills, however, this time they want $4000 to do the changeover. They can't give me an accurate dollar amount of the savings, and will not guarantee that there will be any savings at all.
With the old T-5 bulbs my six fixtures 24 bulbs had a 10.8a draw. Now I have a 6.0a draw. It does not sound like much but my 3.5kw generator that I power my shop and camper with during power outages notices the difference. We agree on increased light output. My power company subsidized lighting a few years ago. I went all in and converted everything. I did not see a reduction in my power bill.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ok, ok, you’re right. I may have to dig around and really church it up with some duct tape!

Joking aside, why would a little metal trinket be needed with LED’s when they aren’t for fluorescent?
The 8' LED's are not made of glass, thus cannot support themselves over an 8' span.
Another way of putting it: .......They sag!
Thus 8' LED's.... must be supported with at least one metal clip.

Fluorescent tubes are made of glass, and glass tubes are self supporting.
Glass tubes do not sag!

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
The 8' LED's are not made of glass, thus cannot support themselves over an 8' span.
Another way of putting it: .......They sag!
Thus 8' LED's.... must be supported with at least one metal clip.

Fluorescent tubes are made of glass, and glass tubes are self supporting.
Glass tubes do not sag!
The 8Ft LED's I swapped out 5 years ago are still straight and hanging all by themself. No clips or duct tape. All 16 of them.

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
About 4 or 5 years ago the local utility did an energy survey at my wife's store, and they replaced about 150 old-style fluorescent light bulbs and their ballasts with new "energy saving" ballasts and new LED 4' light tubes. The store lighting was much improved, and the cost to us was about $1500. It took 2 electricians 4 days to complete the work. The plus was more and better lighting, but there wasn't 1 cent of energy savings. Just a smoke and mirror job to comply with some energy regulation. I was told that if the new bulbs saved 50 KW of energy, that it was like the utility added 50 KW of generation to the overall system. They are now proposing to remove the ballasts from these fixtures and install new LED tubes that work on 120 volts without any ballasts at all. Once again they claim that it will lower the energy bills, however, this time they want $4000 to do the changeover. They can't give me an accurate dollar amount of the savings, and will not guarantee that there will be any savings at all.
Yeah you are correct. I worked for a local school district and they switched all of ours with the same conclusion. The funny was they said it would pay for itself in 3 years. But before 3 years go by they changed them again. The contractors made out like bandits.
All things considered I think if you are still powering up the ballast, you are probably using the same amount of power.
Follow the money for the the reason. Lol or gag

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The 8Ft LED's I swapped out 5 years ago are still straight and hanging all by themself. No clips or duct tape. All 16 of them.
Musta been been better quality than some that are on the market today.
Most 8' LED sellers recommend the little support clips.
I know my 24 would sag badly without support clips.

I cannot imagine anyone actually using "duct tape".

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I converted ALL my 8' fluorescent fixtures in the barn and basement just removing the ballast and direct wiring, no support clips and works just fine. There are many different types of LED bulbs and I wish I got the brighter ones but now I know and can easily change them out when needed.
There is no relationship between ballast,---- direct wiring,---- and support clips.
Support clips are solely to prevent sagging of the 8' long LED tube.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
There is no relationship between ballast,---- direct wiring,---- and support clips.
Support clips are solely to prevent sagging of the 8' long LED tube.
I understand, I was just pointing out that I switched ALL my 8' fluorescent fixtures to LED and did not need support clips.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For what it’s worth, I’ve gotten a bunch of 4 foot LED shop fixtures on sale over the years. Purposely got the type with chain hangers and plug in, not hard wired. That way can move them around as needed (although haven’t moved any around).

Think there’s 7 in garage and 3 in cellar. Use about 40 watts and 3,000 lumens +/-

Usually on 24/7 and haven’t had to replace any in 5-6 years…..geez, why did I jinx myself….😖

image.jpg