Float when using Edge Tamers?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thinking about getting some Edge Tamers for the "bad winter" we are supposed to be getting (60°f today 🙄 ) this year. From what I've seen, they can also be useful for other tasks on finished lawns.
Anyway, my question really is when you use a bucket with Edge Tamers for snow in a gravel drive, do you put the loader in float?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thinking about getting some Edge Tamers for the "bad winter" we are supposed to be getting (60°f today 🙄 ) this year. From what I've seen, they can also be useful for other tasks on finished lawns.
Anyway, my question really is when you use a bucket with Edge Tamers for snow in a gravel drive, do you put the loader in float?
I do

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, providing the gravel is FROZEN.
No, if not ,as the weight of the bucket is concentrated on the tamer's 'footprint'(area) and will probably dig into the soft, loose gravel.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yes, providing the gravel is FROZEN.
No, if not ,as the weight of the bucket is concentrated on the tamer's 'footprint'(area) and will probably dig into the soft, loose gravel.
Hmm... good point. The ground rarely freezes solid here. The driveway is almost all crush& run. So its prettt packed. My concern is if I don't float, I could end up digging in.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hmm... good point. The ground rarely freezes solid here. The driveway is almost all crush& run. So its prettt packed. My concern is if I don't float, I could end up digging in.
When the ground isn’t frozen, I just hold the bucket a couple inches above the road and don’t use float. It just leaves a few inches of snow.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I do. They do not 'burrow' in to the gravel on float. Key of course is to make the bucket somewhat level/flat with the drive. I also pile the snow on an unused area of the drive so any gravel that is picked up, stays on the driveway. If you do not use float, either you will leave behind a thicker than you may want of snow or you will dig in, the reason for the edge tamers is to let them so to speak 'glide' on float on the gravel.
I was just talking with the wife that I need to dig the tamers out and have them at the ready. Snowed last night here, just a tiny bit....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
When the ground isn’t frozen, I just hold the bucket a couple inches above the road and don’t use float. It just leaves a few inches of snow.
Yeah, an inch or two won't stop the wife's car.

Ammobeetle

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 8, 2020
Hallsville, MO
If you are in float and dig in or get to much snow in front you will lift the front wheels, I often have to pull it up out of float in order to get traction on the front to turn.
Rob

Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I do. They do not 'burrow' in to the gravel on float. Key of course is to make the bucket somewhat level/flat with the drive. I also pile the snow on an unused area of the drive so any gravel that is picked up, stays on the driveway. If you do not use float, either you will leave behind a thicker than you may want of snow or you will dig in, the reason for the edge tamers is to let them so to speak 'glide' on float on the gravel.
I was just talking with the wife that I need to dig the tamers out and have them at the ready. Snowed last night here, just a tiny bit....
Yessir, we got about 2" from that nasty storm. 12 hours of rain and 60 degrees during the day. Then the bottom dropped out and it got cold. Are you using legit ETs or the Amazon versions?
I'm thinking, it would probably be a wise idea for me to do a dry run before there is snow on the ground. That way I can see that the gravel is packed even without being frozen. I'm pretty sure it will be. And they recommend I run 3 or 4 on a 63" bucket.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yessir, we got about 2" from that nasty storm. 12 hours of rain and 60 degrees during the day. Then the bottom dropped out and it got cold. Are you using legit ETs or the Amazon versions?
I'm thinking, it would probably be a wise idea for me to do a dry run before there is snow on the ground. That way I can see that the gravel is packed even without being frozen. I'm pretty sure it will be. And they recommend I run 3 or 4 on a 63" bucket.
Real Edge Tamers. The center of the bucket lip is about a inch or so above the gravel unless the gravel has a 'lump' (like caused from a turning vehicle).
I run two on my little BX25D, set about a inch in from the bucket sides.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I made a pair of "Bucket Skis" a few years back. I used 1/4" x 6" flat stock that I bent on my press so there was a 2" "Ski Tip" on the front and rear. I welded angle onto the outside edge, and drilled a couple 1/2" holes through the sides of the bucket. They get bolted on for the winter. Being that wide and running the entire depth of the bucket, when in float mode, it gets really close to grade, and does a really nice job.

Depending on how heavy the snow is, I'll have to angle the bucket upwards as I'm pushing once it starts to get full to keep from getting into the gravel. The snow can weight a lot and drive the bucket down in float mode.

Not the best picture, but you can kinda make it out. Had to really zoom in to see them.
Bucket Skis 2.jpg

Bucket Skis.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I made a pair of "Bucket Skis" a few years back. I used 1/4" x 6" flat stock that I bent on my press so there was a 2" "Ski Tip" on the front and rear. I welded angle onto the outside edge, and drilled a couple 1/2" holes through the sides of the bucket. They get bolted on for the winter. Being that wide and running the entire depth of the bucket, when in float mode, it gets really close to grade, and does a really nice job.

Depending on how heavy the snow is, I'll have to angle the bucket upwards as I'm pushing once it starts to get full to keep from getting into the gravel. The snow can weight a lot and drive the bucket down in float mode.

Not the best picture, but you can kinda make it out. Had to really zoom in to see them. View attachment 117851

View attachment 117852
That's awesome! I could probably utilize the holes from the tooth bar for something like that. I would still need something in the center since the driveway is crowned. Excellent idea!

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
That's awesome! I could probably utilize the holes from the tooth bar for something like that. I would still need something in the center since the driveway is crowned. Excellent idea!
Thanks! Being 6" wide, they really work awesome.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I got a set last year for my gravel drive. Worked well. I use float.

What I found what the digging in depended on the angle of my bucket. As long as I had it parallel to the ground they did not dig in even if the gravel was not frozen down.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
ok... i know I am old and maybe now getting a little senile?? But I don't see purpose of edge tamers.

what I do is increase the curl of the bucket, riding on the bottom of the bucket over the snow/slippery stuff so no bucket wear with cutting edge 2" elevated so doesn't dig in.

am I just stupid or I am missing something about why these edge tamers are even required.

thanks in advance

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
ok... i know I am old and maybe now getting a little senile?? But I don't see purpose of edge tamers.

what I do is increase the curl of the bucket, riding on the bottom of the bucket over the snow/slippery stuff so no bucket wear with cutting edge 2" elevated so doesn't dig in.

am I just stupid or I am missing something about why these edge tamers are even required.

thanks in advance
I have done this and it works okay, but with the bucket on float it would raise and ride on top of the snow quite a bit.

If the ground is level and even it would work not in float mode, but would be problematic if the ground was uneven.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I decided to get the "Skis" bolted on before the snow decides to make an appearance.
Seems it's always too cold when I put them to get them painted!!! LOL

Here's some pics...

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have done this and it works okay, but with the bucket on float it would raise and ride on top of the snow quite a bit.

If the ground is level and even it would work not in float mode, but would be problematic if the ground was uneven.
ahhh... I got it and thanks.
I have almost no experience with light weight material buckets or light weight tractors . I can see what you say now. Not having bucket or loader arm weight probably a big drawback.

Cheers

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Went ahead and ordered 2 pair. Hopefully they arrive before the snow we are supposed to get next weekend. It would be nice to try them out dry first. I graded some of the driveway, but need more gravel for other areas. That's not very smooth or level right now.
I know it's not a lot compared to what some of you get. It's not the norm in the mid Atlantic.
Resized_Screenshot_20231225_123615_Firefox.jpeg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I often think about how often the weatherman (or woman) is wrong in their predictions a few days away. Considering that this is a "prediction" of 7 days away I wouldn't put much faith in it happening. Hell, half the time they can't get the next day's weather predicted accurately. This is the only industry that I know of when less than 50% of predictions are considered acceptable. Just think of the consequences if our stock market predictors were this inaccurate.