Flat Rear Tire

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
I have a deer antler in my rear water filled tire. Do they make a plug that can seal a 1/2" to 3/4" hole. Tire is tubeless. It's a 17.5 X 24, if that matters.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
IN the tread or in the side wall ? If it is in the tread they might be able to do a patch from the inside, and a tube,, if its inthe side wall I doubt if there is much you can do

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
If it cannot be patched and it is too new to throw away, you could probably have both your rear tires filled with foam. It is not as heavy as liquid ballast, but you will never have another flat. There are pros and cons to foam filled tires.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Have you ever used a tire repair kit with the long rubber threads / glue and the t handle tool that threads the rubbers threads into the hole? (You keep adding threads until it’s full, they work well but they do have a limit). I’ve not used on a tractor but I have on a motorcyle (yes I know you are not supposed to do that on an MC tire, sometimes not much choice) and auto. Depending on how bad your puncture is, I’d probably try that, and if still worried, drain water, break the bead and put a sealant of some sorts on the inside and outside…flex seal seams to do wonders under water so id try some of there goop. (I’ve used under water on a pool liner and a tote and both have held for years). Tractors not a high speed application so maybe it’s worth a try before a new tire. But I’ve not tried it so I don’t know. At you own risk of course. If worried pay the piper. Maybe call a tire repair service for farmers see what they recommend or as mentioned by Mr Elliot, get em foamed. Lots of options better than paying the piper for a new tire.

Last edited:

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
It's in the tread area. It's a R4 tire. Only 500 hours on tractor. I will check into the patch or maybe foam filled. I never thought a deer could cause damage to my tractor.
If the patch works, how can you add antifreeze to the tire?

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I never thought a deer could cause damage to my tractor.
Deeres can do a lot of damage to cars so not surprised they could damage a Kubota (haha)

Myself I would vulcanize patch from inside and tube it.

1698115641057.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yup, a tube with a boot inside the tire over the hole. Glue the boot to the tire.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If it cannot be patched and it is too new to throw away, you could probably have both your rear tires filled with foam. It is not as heavy as liquid ballast, but you will never have another flat. There are pros and cons to foam filled tires.
Actually foam is about the heaviest fill you can get from what I understand. One reason is it fills the tire 100 percent, as compared to 70 percent for liquid fill.

Of course I am referring to the foam such as installed in construction equipment tires. I have four foam filled tires on my BX and two on the front of the B2910.

I am not sure how foam compares to beat juice on a per unit volume basis. But liquid ballast would have to be almost 50 percent heavier than foam just for the filled tires to have equal weight.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Don't know for sure but I figure foam filled tires would about as cushy as the rear tires on my old Allis Chalmers here.
trk how.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Actually foam is about the heaviest fill you can get from what I understand. One reason is it fills the tire 100 percent, as compared to 70 percent for liquid fill.

Of course I am referring to the foam such as installed in construction equipment tires. I have four foam filled tires on my BX and two on the front of the B2910.

I am not sure how foam compares to beat juice on a per unit volume basis. But liquid ballast would have to be almost 50 percent heavier than foam just for the filled tires to have equal weight.
Well, I called the place listed in my initial post. They have have two types of foam - Super Light and Heavy. They mostly fill tractor tires with Super Light. The Super light yields a filled weight approximately the same as water (less than Beet Juice), and it is a spongy fill (not nearly as rigid as foam used to be).

Finally, the approximate costs to fill my LX2610 SU tires (Front 25x8.5-14 / Rear 15-19.5) would be $500 per front tire and $1,200 per rear tire. You have to bring/ship the mounted tires to them (just west of Atlanta), and the process takes two days (fill and cure).

My rear tires are filled with Windshield washer fluid (part of the prep included in the tractor's price (which was under MSRP). Do I plan to have my tires foamed - no. However, I could change my mind if I started having flats. After I tore down a dilapidated hog parlor, I moved all of the lumber and tin roofing (both full of nails) to two dumpsters (could not get them closer) about 200 yards away with my grapple. I backed the entire way to the dumpsters, and I had my wife looking for anything that fell off along the way. I was very relieved that I did not get a puncture. If I were doing that kind of work even once every couple of years, I would get the foam.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
@Elliott in GA You got lucky. It cost me a pretty penny to have the mobile service fix the nail hole in my L’s R1 rear tire. And I don’t think there were that many nails. Just grading for new residential construction, after a deck was built.

Seems like anytime I have a residential carpenter on a site, I’ll get a mail in something. It’s almost like they think they get paid by the pound for nails.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well, I called the place listed in my initial post. They have have two types of foam - Super Light and Heavy. They mostly fill tractor tires with Super Light. The Super light yields a filled weight approximately the same as water (less than Beet Juice), and it is a spongy fill (not nearly as rigid as foam used to be).

Finally, the approximate costs to fill my LX2610 SU tires (Front 25x8.5-14 / Rear 15-19.5) would be $500 per front tire and $1,200 per rear tire. You have to bring/ship the mounted tires to them (just west of Atlanta), and the process takes two days (fill and cure).

My tires are filled with Windshield washer fluid (part of the prep included in the tractor's price (which was under MSRP). Do I plan to have my tires foamed - no. However, I could change my mind if I started having flats. After I tore down a dilapidated hog parlor, I moved all of the lumber and tin roofing (both full of nails) to two dumpsters (could not get them closer) about 200 yards away with my grapple. I backed the entire way to the dumpsters, and I had my wife looking for anything that fell off along the way. I was very relieved that I did not get a puncture. If I were doing that kind of work even once every couple of years, I would get the foam.
The rear tires on my B 2910 are filled with windshield washer fluid and have been for 20 years now. Never a puncture and I hope I don’t have to make a decision if I do get one. Actually, if I did get one I would probably just get it repaired and cross my fingers for another 20 years, which would put me close to 97 years old!

So I guess we’re in the same place. For the front tires on my B2910 or the little tires on the BX the cost was much less and well worth it. Prices may vary by location. I think for my son-in-law‘s BX23S a couple years ago it cost about $350 to have all four tires filled with foam. This is the industrial stuff which is heavy.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

My rear tires are filled with Windshield washer fluid (part of the prep included in the tractor's price (which was under MSRP). Do I plan to have my tires foamed - no. However, I could change my mind if I started having flats. After I tore down a dilapidated hog parlor, I moved all of the lumber and tin roofing (both full of nails) to two dumpsters (could not get them closer) about 200 yards away with my grapple. I backed the entire way to the dumpsters, and I had my wife looking for anything that fell off along the way. I was very relieved that I did not get a puncture. If I were doing that kind of work even once every couple of years, I would get the foam.
I’ve called and spoke with north Georgia flatproofing about doing our ventrac tires at work. Was quoted $195 per tire, there are 8 of them on the machine. Each one would add 34lbs. Sent my findings to the higher ups and was shot down. 300 hrs on the machine and each tire has 7-10 plugs in them.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I’ve called and spoke with north Georgia flatproofing about doing our ventrac tires at work. Was quoted $195 per tire, there are 8 of them on the machine. Each one would add 34lbs. Sent my findings to the higher ups and was shot down. 300 hrs on the machine and each tire has 7-10 plugs in them.
It is definitely something that is worth it in some uses, and it sounds like you have such a need.

I wonder if your bosses have considered how much downtime all those plugs cause - and the associated costs, including lost manhours.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Holy Smokes! I'm in the wrong business! How many new tires can you buy for that kind of money!

Frankly, I'm shocked that a deer antler went thru your tire.

Fastball714

Equipment
L4060HSTC, B3300SU
Feb 27, 2021
Georgia
We foamed filled all our forklift tires at work. It was well worth the investment. I don't think it would payoff on my tractor.
I found a place that will patch the hole and will put a tube in, if it fails. Thanks for all the suggestions.