Flat Face Couplers

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
The problem that I am finding is the flow rate of the couplers. I cant find the flow rate of the BX factory ones but Eaton have a flow rate of 4.5gpm, Summit has 6.3 gpm, Parker was only 3 gpm and Princess doesnt carry any 1/4" npt flat face With the BX have a flow rate of just over 6 gpm do all the couplers also need to be rated at 6 gpm or higher?
No flat faced couplers have a higher flow rate than the same sized pioneer couplers so any of them should work for you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased the Summit flat-faced couplers, and they work just fine on my BX23S. My only complaint is that the Post Office took almost 5 weeks to get them from California to MA. The tracking record was extremely interesting. They made it halfway across the US, only to be returned to the West coast, then onto the South, and eventually made it to me after spending a week in Boston. All the other times I ordered them from Amazon, they arrived in 2 or 3 days. I am very satisfied with the Summit brand couplers.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I took my loader off 1 time. My flat face couplers weep. I will be switching them out with 1/4" pioneer couplers at some point.

For fittings, I use my local hydraulic shop or discount hydraulics online, they have good service.

My (2006) TLB already had Pioneer style couplers.
I switched my new grapple couplers from flat face to Pioneer style.
At 81, with somewhat arthritic hands, I find the Pioneer style easier to use.
I also modified a pair of Vise Grip welder clamps to easily pull the Pioneer style open.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
This was on my old machine. I learned here that I dont think it was the fault of the flat face couplers themselves, but the crappy "swift-tach" kubota uses to seat them. If i still had the machine i would have converted them. The LX does not use Swift Tach and im glad, no leaks, no stuff banging around.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I took my loader off 1 time. My flat face couplers weep. I will be switching them out with 1/4" pioneer couplers at some point.

For fittings, I use my local hydraulic shop or discount hydraulics online, they have good service.

IMG_6772.JPG

Pioneers work A-1

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I should preface this statement with I use them a LOT, like every time I use the tractor or mini excavator something is coming off or going on.

So far I hate all hydraulic quick connectors and I still feel like I am too young to hate anything - lol.

I had all pioneers - they all leaked (an unused pioneer can last years and years without a leak) after any use, they all leak (every brand I have tried over 30 years). I switched to all flat-face. They are maybe 10% better than the pioneers for my use.

Product Concept,
CEO - "we need a new hydraulic connector that doesn't leak, needs to be bullet proof reliable in all kinds of weather and temperature, it should be quick to connect or dis-connect, should work in psi ranges from 0-6000.

30 years later and tons of money on r&d
CEO - well what do you have?

We have two main options to look at, pioneer, and flat face couplers.

CEO Which one is better?

Well the flat face doesn't leak as much as the pioneer so there is that,

What do you mean not as much? They were not supposed to leak at all.

What about weather? Will they work in any conditions?

Not really, they are both susceptible to dirt/freezing/hot-cold issues

They are easy to use though right?

Well if there is 0psi pressure in the line they work ok as long as they are nice and clean (see above) If they have a positive or negative pressure in the line they can be impossible to connect or dis-connect.

And if there is pressure in the line?

Oh, that is easy, just use a couple wrenches to take the fitting off the hose, all the oil and built up pressure will escape and you can then easily and quickly connect the quick connector.

And if you don't have a couple of wrenches handy?

Sometimes you can smash the little pin or face with a hammer and get it to spray some oil out but it tends to damage the fittings so we suggest taking the fitting off.

I have a great new product concept for 2022
"we need a new hydraulic connector that doesn't leak, needs to be bullet proof reliable in all kinds of weather and temperature, it should be quick to connect or dis-connect, should work in psi ranges from 0-6000.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
NHSleddog I have been hooking and unhooking hyd hoses for over fifty years and have been around a lot of different couplers, way more than the two you mention. They are all good until they aren't. Most of the time you are hooking and unhooking in dirty conditions and something is under pressure. As I have gotten older I try to leave equipment hookup as much a possible. I hate the days I running my tree saw and grapple on my skid loader and are changing back and forth every couple hours.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
NHSleddog I have been hooking and unhooking hyd hoses for over fifty years and have been around a lot of different couplers, way more than the two you mention. They are all good until they aren't. Most of the time you are hooking and unhooking in dirty conditions and something is under pressure. As I have gotten older I try to leave equipment hookup as much a possible. I hate the days I running my tree saw and grapple on my skid loader and are changing back and forth every couple hours.
Yeah, 30+ years myself. I have several sets of couplers that will not connect/disconnect under pressure and I'm sure I'm not the only one. When you take a wrench to it to hook it up you make a mess with the oil and waste a lot of time.

My point was the two main connectors we see are lacking in many ways.