flat face connectors

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK this damn grapple has been off and on GOK's how many times. I went to put it back on and hook up the hoses,, WTF???? Every other coupler went on click and set. The 2 for the grapple, at the grapple NADE push cuss push cuss, nada,, the colors will not move at all what am I missing,, I mean really this aint the first time off and back on,, I am missing something really really really stupid! What is it?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
OK this damn grapple has been off and on GOK's how many times. I went to put it back on and hook up the hoses,, WTF???? Every other coupler went on click and set. The 2 for the grapple, at the grapple NADE push cuss push cuss, nada,, the colors will not move at all what am I missing,, I mean really this aint the first time off and back on,, I am missing something really really really stupid! What is it?
Your grapple is pressurized from the heat, loosen a fitting to bleed of the pressure.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I just gave up and had a couple of flat face to pioneer short 1 ft hoses made. When I detach the grapple I just attach them right away to the grapple. Then I can just tap the pioneer ends when I am putting them back on the machine to release the pressure.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Seeeee I told ya it was gona be realllllly simple and dumb,, Hell Dusty I dont even have AC in the house
;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just gave up and had a couple of flat face to pioneer short 1 ft hoses made. When I detach the grapple I just attach them right away to the grapple. Then I can just tap the pioneer ends when I am putting them back on the machine to release the pressure.
I swapped my grapple flat face couplers to pioneer style, and use pioneer with everything.
IMHO pioneer style couplers are easier to use with arthritic hands.

Last edited:

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I swapped my grapple flat face couplers to pioneer style, and use pioneer with everything.
IMHO pioneer style couplers are easier to use with arthertic hands.
I'm just the opposite I find the only issue with my flat face ones is when disconnecting them is to rotate the sleeve to the detent so the collar/sleeve slides back all the way. They connect and disconnect easy as pie. Easier than the 1/4" pioneer ones on the rear remotes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Store the implement not in one extreme positions or the other and then connect the two lines together.

Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Old school for the win.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
One more reason to have an air conditioned barn
Who’d a thought a fellow with the handle DustyRusty would have a temperature, humidity and filtered work environment.

Myself, I couldn’t bring myself to pay the power bill for that even if it was only 1% of my income. I’m too stingy. Or maybe it’s just not hot and humid enough where I’m at.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was working in the garage a couple of days ago, and I mentioned to the wife that I should put a branch off of the air conditioner into the garage. She said I should have built a barn 38 years ago. The garage was air-conditioned when the HVAC was located in the cellar and the ductwork ran through the garage to the second floor. When we converted from oil to propane, I had a second air handler mounted in a closet on the second floor and the ductwork from the cellar removed. I am fairly confident that I will have air conditioning in the garage by next year, should I live that long.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I've read about and tried every tip in the book about this. Read all the threads here. Still have the same problems OP has no matter what.
The only solution that works for me: Crack the lines on the Grapple with a wrench, then connect them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Latch the SSQA, lift and tilt the grapple so the lid is dangling with no load. Turn off the tractor. Lock/tie the grapple actuator valves to depressurize the tractor circuit side. Keep body parts clear from under loader/grapple. Plug in SSQA.

Don't leave attachments outside in the sunshine. If I do I leave the grapple lid partially open, makes this process easier.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was working in the garage a couple of days ago, and I mentioned to the wife that I should put a branch off of the air conditioner into the garage. She said I should have built a barn 38 years ago. The garage was air-conditioned when the HVAC was located in the cellar and the ductwork ran through the garage to the second floor. When we converted from oil to propane, I had a second air handler mounted in a closet on the second floor and the ductwork from the cellar removed. I am fairly confident that I will have air conditioning in the garage by next year, should I live that long.
A "mini-split" installation is often the answer for specific space A/C, like a garage.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Store the implement not in one extreme positions or the other and then connect the two lines together.
You mentioned that before so I tried it. The pressure still builds and I had to loosen a connector with a wrench once again. It wouldn't be cheap, but a pair of connectors with a valve between might be the answer if one wants to connect together.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You mentioned that before so I tried it. The pressure still builds and I had to loosen a connector with a wrench once again. It wouldn't be cheap, but a pair of connectors with a valve between might be the answer if one wants to connect together.
Under $75 from Summit Hydraulics. Although, the brass T fitting and valve would have to be sourced and assembled locally. Cut the hose, insert T and secure with hose clamps.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Under $75 from Summit Hydraulics. Although, the brass T fitting and valve would have to be sourced and assembled locally. Cut the hose, insert T and secure with hose clamps.
Modified welders "vise grips" (per a long ago OTT post) work fine for me to open my pioneer style couplings.

• Love

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
  • Love

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
When I finish using my grapple and place it back in storage, I do the following.

1. Place grapple on the ground in storage area, lids closed, shut down tractor.
2. Turn Key on engine off and 3rd function power on and cycle 3rd function switch several times open/closed.
3. Turn key off, disconnect hoses, open levers on SSQA and back away.

I do store my grapple in the shade under an old carport. Connecting the hydraulics has been uneventful since following the above listed steps.

When I first purchased and used the grapple, I had the same problems with the connectors being hydraulic locked. I would have to push the ball on male fitting into steel grapple frame to bleed off the hydraulic pressure.