Flat face 3rd function issues

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
How can I bleed off the pressure from these when attaching a grapple? Once I disconnect and come back to reconnect I cannot unless I crack a line and bleed off pressure. They are on my L4060 HSTC-LE with factory 3rd function. The grapple is a 10 bale hay grapple.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just pick up a cheap pair of couplers and a 18" hose. Attach the new couplers to each end of the hose. Cut the hose in half, then splice in a Tee with a ball valve on one of the legs. Open up the valve to relieve any pressure.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Now that I think about it, I might even have all the material for making one at home. I know I have a C channel, just need to see if it is wide enough, then put my plasma torch to work.

OTOH I may still have my valve spring compressor, that might even work.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Proper mount/dismout technique works 95% of the time. 5% requires tools.
IMG_2279.jpeg
IMG_2278.jpeg

They seem to know when you are in the biggest hurry and furthest from a tool to act up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Turn the tractor off, then turn it on but don't start the engine. Next turn on your third function valve and cycle each of the buttons a few times. Next, move your loader valve in all directions. This will relieve all pressure in the system. Install the 3rd function appliance one hose at a time and it should work fine every time.
Now, if you have pressure built up in the 3rd function appliance, then you should have connected the two ends together so the cylinder will equal out on both ends. All bets are off if the tractor or the 3rd function appliance or tool has been in the sun and the oil in the cylinder and lines has expanded. If that is going to be a problem, then cool it off with cold water.
I have been doing it this way for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem hooking m;y grapple up to the third function valve.

Reactions: 1 users

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
How can I bleed off the pressure from these when attaching a grapple? Once I disconnect and come back to reconnect I cannot unless I crack a line and bleed off pressure. They are on my L4060 HSTC-LE with factory 3rd function. The grapple is a 10 bale hay grapple.
I disconnect one hose and attach this. Air in the black pipe lets the oil expand.

On the tractor side shut off turn key on. Press the buttons a few times.

Attachments

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Turn the tractor off, then turn it on but don't start the engine. Next turn on your third function valve and cycle each of the buttons a few times. Next, move your loader valve in all directions. This will relieve all pressure in the system. Install the 3rd function appliance one hose at a time and it should work fine every time.
Now, if you have pressure built up in the 3rd function appliance, then you should have connected the two ends together so the cylinder will equal out on both ends. All bets are off if the tractor or the 3rd function appliance or tool has been in the sun and the oil in the cylinder and lines has expanded. If that is going to be a problem, then cool it off with cold water.
I have been doing it this way for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem hooking m;y grapple up to the third function valve.
Just release the pressure with the engine off as Dusty says.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I do as DustyRusty does, but I also drop the three-point linkage and use a spring clamp to keep the third function buttons on.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
After I lock the SSQA levers I raise the boom for clearance to dump the bucket/grapple. There's a balance point where gravity takes the load off the lid cylinders and the quick connects are good to go.

Also follow DustyRusty's advice.

I also avoid leaving my grapple in the sun. If I do leave it out I raise the lid a little before disconnecting as it makes my above procedure work better.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Another option is to use a couple short hoses with flat faced couplings on one end and male pioneer couplings on the other end. When you go to reattach your implement, just grab a rag to rap around the male pioneer ends and give them both a few taps with a hammer. That should relive the pressure so you are able to remove the short hoses then reconnect your implement to your tractor.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Might want to consider switching to connect under pressure couplers.

You can find less expensive clones for the Stucchi APM couplers at the usual sources e.g. Summit, Amazon, DHH, etc.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
or.... simply buy another set of fittings.
when grapple unhooked connect the extra female to male end (and extra male to the female end)
this creates an always open circuit.
yes a fluid may drip out so keep the now open ends of hoses elevated.
yes risk of contamination of fluid but a simple rag over threaded end of hose solves this.
Cost.... something like $15 a coupler depending on size / quality and where you buy the extra ends. Nice to have spares around anyways for the emergency parts bin.

city folk or fancy people may need expensive tools. Around here we be poor so we use the solutions we have on hand.

cheers

edit: brain fart.... or an old piece of hose you may have kicking around the parts bin that leaks would be ideal if matching ends still on. no pressure would build due to temp or whatever if its made into a circuit with an old piece of hose that leaks either

when I unhook an attachment I like to press in the poppet or valve face to release and pressure before storing. Found this drastically reducers reconnection problems.

Last edited: