Flail mower

Mark at WJ

Equipment
Kubota L3902
Aug 29, 2022
North Carolina
I have a L 3902 and am looking to buy an ditch bank flail mower. Looking at Betsco and Titan and wanted to get feedback on these from current owners. If you know of a better brand that would be great.

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
I’m considering a Bestco as far as I know its the only quick hitch compatibility. Also, they are made in Italy.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a L 3902 and am looking to buy an ditch bank flail mower. Looking at Betsco and Titan and wanted to get feedback on these from current owners. If you know of a better brand that would be great.
Titan Attachments is made in China and a member here had issues in around 100 hours. They're not as well made as the Italian models.

For the record, it's BETSTCO if you're talking about the Oregon based company. There's also BEFCO selling flail mowers.

I have a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 made in Italy that I'm pleased with. It's well designed, very well made and it does a great job.

mx6000_dm_14.jpg

mx6000_dm_20.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’m considering a Bestco as far as I know its the only quick hitch compatibility. Also, they are made in Italy.
BEFCO is QH compatible but are you sure about BETSTCO flails. By the way, BETSTCO sells flail mowers made by Farmer Helper Machinery Co., Ltd which is a Chinese based company, and Value-Leader Implements which is owned by an investment company and was established to "provide a high quality high value option to compete with USA tractor dealership branded products".

If you Google BETSTCO and look at their property you'll see that they have a very small facility so I doubt they do much in the way of manufacturing. Looks like some admin and an area for storage.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What about Del Morino? Who are the US manufacturers of off set flail mowers?
Del Morino makes flail mowers in Italy. They also make the Ibex branded mowers sold by Tractortoolsdirect.com. IronCraft (formerly Titan Implements) makes offset flail mowers in the US but not a ditch bank model.

Maschio is another Italian manufacturer of high-end flail mowers and mulchers. There are other Italian manufacturers but I can't remember the brands.

I would stay away from WoodMaxx too since all of their stuff is made in China.

There's nothing worse than an expensive Chinese made implement. Most of the cost and yet none of the design or build benefits. Titan Attachments sells flails, and they're not cheap, but they are made in China and they break ... and kind of easily it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Many manufacturers in Northern Italy are Chinese owned and operated and qualify as Italian companies.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Many manufacturers in Northern Italy are Chinese owned and operated and qualify as Italian companies.
Is Del Morino or Maschio among them? Also, Chinese owned vs. Chinese made are not the same thing. Personally I'd rather not own anything made by the Chinese, but that's not realistic these days. All I can do is minimize buying Chinese parts whenever possible.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If you mean BETSTCO, they aren't made in Italy...they are made in China....I have one.

Mine is fine for occasional use. If I needed something for routine use, I'd look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you mean BETSTCO, they aren't made in Italy...they are made in China....I have one.

Mine is fine for occasional use. If I needed something for routine use, I'd look elsewhere.
See post #4. They're made by Farmer Helper Machinery Co., Ltd. which is a Chinese outfit.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I read that Chinese companies were buying up big Italian name brands but their time is coming. Their economy is collapsing, their country is in bad shape, their markets and financial institutions are collapsing too. Read about the banking and mortgage crisis over there!

There's nothing about Del Morino S.R.L that smells Chinese! I've spent hours researching implement companies, Del Morino included. They employ around 80 people, are very proud of what they make, have been in the Tuscany region for over a century and are very much part of the community. I contacted one of their sales team via LinkedIn and have asked about manufacturing and ownership. I doubt I'll get a response, and I don't know if she speaks English since she's Italian, but I figured it was worth a shot.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Tractor Time With Tim featured a couple of Maschio flail mowers on YouTube recently. You can get a 5% discount from Agfolks.com on some Maschio models. As Tim states in the videos, the build quality of the Italian made mowers is excellent. Looking at the Maschio models, I do like the box stiffening plates that Del Morino uses.

The only thing I would change about the Del Morino I have is to make it 12" wider and possibly have it offset even more so that I wouldn't need to drive over any vegetation before cutting. As it is, it's a very good flail that does a great job in a variety of situations. I really like the RCR1884 rotary cutter, but it's one-trick pony compared to the hydraulic offset flail so I would part with the RCR long before the Del Morino.

Last edited:

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin