FL850 Tiller PTO Shaft Too Long

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Hello All,
Picked up an FL850 Tiller, after searching for 3 years, for my B5100 and got around to getting her all painted up. Just need to add oil and she will be ready to go! Except for this little issue. Obviously I saw that PTO shaft was extended by previous owner, must have been on bigger tractor, but didn't think about it until I hooked up tiller to tractor. Stupid me. Anyways, Kubota doesn't sell this anymore. The yoke is a smooth bore and keyed. That's what the end of the splined shaft is like and held in place with a key. Anyone know what else might use this shaft size and spline? Otherwise will have to cut it and reweld it right to the bottom of the yoke.

Also, when tiller is lifted all the way up the outside sleeve actually bottoms out on tractor yoke side as can be seen here. Seems weird to me as this tiller was made for this tractor. I am going to have to cut the outside sleeve back probably an inch because new weld will prevent it from telescoping all the way like its supposed to. Thanks for the help!

pto.jpg

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I'd suggest a good machine shop. They'll ensure that the finished assembly will run true and provide enough movement when rasing and lowering. It appears that there's enough shaft to work with. They'll need to modify both the male/female sections. Bring the tractor and tiller so there's no confusion. Make sure to properly ajust the slip clutch before placing in operation and lubricate accordingly.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Pto telescoping shafts must be their shortest when tiller is raised sufficiently so both pto u-joints are in line(IE U_joints are same height). A chop saw is adequate for shortening both halves of pto shaft. How deep are the female splines? One will probably need to shorten female tube next to tractor u-joint if female splines are less than 8-10''s in length.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Remember, when it's digging into the ground, you'll need the pto shaft to be even shorter!!! Hang the tiller off into a ditch to get a better measurement when it's in the ground.
As I previously stated pto shaft is at the shortest collapsed length when u-joints are directly in line with each opposing u-joint. When tiller is lowered operating(tilling the soil) opposing u-joints are FARTHER APART!!!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks like the splined end has been cut and a piece of several inches added, making its too long. That will probably have to be cut out and splined end shortened to the original position.

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Remember, when it's digging into the ground, you'll need the pto shaft to be even shorter!!! Hang the tiller off into a ditch to get a better measurement when it's in the ground.
Actually it needs to be longer as you lower the tiller because the arms move further away from the tractor in their arc position. I caught this after taking this picture and lowered the machine. I though, dang I am glad I lowered it and realized I cant cut shaft too short or it will slip out when lowering.

Reactions: 1 user

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
I'd suggest a good machine shop. They'll ensure that the finished assembly will run true and provide enough movement when rasing and lowering. It appears that there's enough shaft to work with. They'll need to modify both the male/female sections. Bring the tractor and tiller so there's no confusion. Make sure to properly ajust the slip clutch before placing in operation and lubricate accordingly.
Do you know of another piece of Kubota equipment that uses this same splined shaft? Kubota wants to sell the entire PTO shaft which is $800. haha. Not going to do that.

I think I am going to give it a shot myself and see how it goes. Its going to be spinning less than 540 and even if a little off it wont hurt.

That being said how does one adjust the slip clutch on this thing? I'm going to look in manual and see if they mention anything.

Last edited:

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Pto telescoping shafts must be their shortest when tiller is raised sufficiently so both pto u-joints are in line(IE U_joints are same height). A chop saw is adequate for shortening both halves of pto shaft. How deep are the female splines? One will probably need to shorten female tube next to tractor u-joint if female splines are less than 8-10''s in length.
Thanks for the video clip. I will take a look at it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Actually it needs to be longer as you lower the tiller because the arms move further away from the tractor in their arc position. I caught this after taking this picture and lowered the machine. I though, dang I am glad I lowered it and realized I cant cut shaft too short or it will slip out when lowering.
DITTO