Fixing Tractor Tire - Best Option

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
After 10 years or so of owning a couple of tractors, I have my first tire problem. One of my Ag rear tires on a L3200 will not hold air, the tire is loaded but I do not see any fluid leak. I reflate the tire and after a couple of days it is low again.

Who is best to fix my tire issue, my local tractor dealer or my local car / truck tire shop?

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have had a few instances in dealing with tire issues over the last few years. You are going to pay more for a tractor dealer to mess with it. I had a very poor experience dealing with a small truck and tractor tire service. I then went to a regional truck and tractor tire dealer that had mobile service and could not be happier. Cost effective and same day service when I dropped off the tire. I have had to replace three tires (dry rot) on the old Ford tractor and one on the Kubota when I found and old metal fence post broken off just above the ground. The tires on my Kubota and the Ford are loaded as well and they were great as they drained what fluid was left and then topped off the tire once it was replaced.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have had a few instances in dealing with tire issues over the last few years. You are going to pay more for a tractor dealer to mess with it. I had a very poor experience dealing with a small truck and tractor tire service. I then went to a regional truck and tractor tire dealer that had mobile service and could not be happier. Cost effective and same day service when I dropped off the tire. I have had to replace three tires (dry rot) on the old Ford tractor and one on the Kubota when I found and old metal fence post broken off just above the ground. The tires on my Kubota and the Ford are loaded as well and they were great as they drained what fluid was left and then topped off the tire once it was replaced.
[/QUOTE

Yup.
That is the way for the OP to go!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We use our local FS dealer. They have mobile repair, which they have come to the farm and replaced rear tires on dad's tractor.

Unfortunately, just a couple of weeks ago I got to take my front tire to them and they repaired while I waited. Took about 15 minutes.

So our experience with the FS dealer has been great for both front and rear repairs/replacements.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Try spraying a solution of dishwashing solution and water around the outer bead first and look for bubbles. Then do the same for the inside. At least that way you will have located the leak. Also, check the tire valve stem the same way. Might just be a leaking valve stem. If you don't have a spray bottle, use a cheap disposable paintbrush with bristles. Will work just the same. If you find a rim leak mark its location with a crayon before you call the tire dealer. It will save you some time. Also, clean the tread of the tire and look for a nail or something else that might have embedded itself into the tire. If you find it, don't pull it out, but have a tire service deal with it. Those tires are too heavy to be dealing with without the proper tools.

Reactions: 1 users

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Depends, if your dealership is a large one they may do there own tire repair, most likely, they sub out to a Truck Tire Repair Shop. Call both see what they recommend.

Also, rear tire may have a tube, so locating/repairing leak, requires removing tire.
Since you have luxury of two tractors, I’d remove, place in truck bed, and drop off for repair.
Draining and saving Ballast Fluid, will save a few bucks.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I found out one of my local dealers they are now outsourcing tire repairs to a local mobile farm tire service guy. He shows up with a truck that has a crane mounted to it, will service your tires in your yard or in your fields. He's cheap enough that I'd rather let him skin his knuckles. He handles all the mess of ballast filled tires, broken valves, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I ended up taking my L3200 rear ag wheel and tire to my local Kubota dealer, it turned out to be a bad / damaged valve stem, quick turnaround and a $36 bill. Wheel is remounted and looking forward to the weather improving a little, I have a few big trees down, the L3200 will be pulling the 2 ton farm dump to transport some of that timber.

I feel lucky that this is my only tire issue in many years as I’m mainly operating in heavy woodland.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: the tire is loaded but I do not see any fluid leak

'loaded'... call around, some places will NOT work on them any more

see no leak. hard to understand why you don't see 'wet' coming out somewhere

hmm .. tube or tubeless ? Had a tubed forklift tire 'sometimes' go flat. it all depended on where the tire stopped when parked. between 10 and 2, it'd go flat,at 6,never. my finger finally found the pointy of a small nail

for riding mower mystery leaks, I add 10+PSI into the tire...THEN I can see bubbles.......

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I called my local dealer who directed me to a small shop that does AG tires as well as other vehicles. They offer mobile services as well. For me it was a front tire so I took it there. 15 min and a few bucks to fix the leak. With a loaded tire I would call a mobile operator. I’m not set up to handle and move that kind of weight nor am I able to drain it down for transport.