Fisher Plow on M5400?

bootly3

Equipment
M5400
Feb 15, 2015
Boothbay,Maine
Greetings Kubota Brothers,
New to this Site and have some Questions?
Brought a Kubota M5400 Up to Maine from SC,
My first Maine winter and it's a Doosey! Lots of Snow.
My M5400 is a 4x2 with NO Loader-UGH!
Want to use it for Snow Removal for our 1/4 Mile entrance Road.
If I put Snow Chains 16.9-28 ,Box Blade for Weight on 3 point Hitch,
is there a Snow Plow I can Mount on the Front of this Tractor?
Been Looking for a Loader, but they are Hard to come By.
Thought there Must be a way to Mount a Fischer Plow on the Front,
every third Truck You pass in Maine has one!
All in Put Welcome
Cheers! Curt

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you could mount a snowplow on the front, just have to make the brackets and lift, you also need to load the rear tires, ballast box (avoid the box blade as they are useless in snow and do not provide enough weight on the three point, you need 1000+ lbs.
One thing that going to severally limit it's usefulness is being a 2wd, 4wd do much better with both the plow and loader.
Available money can be an issue for some, and that I understand, but you would be much better off selling that tractor and getting a 4wd with a loader as they are a much better fit for your intended need. ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I think you are going to have problems when you have the plow blade at an angle. The tractor will just be pushed sideways in deeper snow.
Blowing on 3pt hitch would be a much better option as the weight of the blower will give you a lot of traction if you raise it slightly off the ground.
I blew snow for years with 2wd. Many times the weight of the blower and the snow on top of it caused the front wheels to come off the ground so I would steer with the rear brakes. Having enough traction was never an issue.
Dave m7040

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Old neighbor had a seven foot fisher mounted to an old 2wd ford tractor. This was when I lived in vermont. Was probably of similar size. He didn't bother with hydraulics. Locked the plow angled to the right. Made up a bracket with a cantilever set up on the right side of the tractor for lift. Used a 3" sd40 pipe that was about 10 foot long to lift the blade. And had a lock bracket he would slide the pipe into to hold it up. Used a 50 gallon drum with a draw bar slid through the upper portion of the barrel. With some angle iron bent and welded to it for the center link. Then filled it with concrete. He used a set of cleated log chains on the rear tires along with having the tires filled.

It was a monster with the plow and saved my butt when the throw out bearing went out in the plow truck when we got three foot of snow. Only issue he had was having to steer with the brakes when the plow was down :rolleyes: