First tractor

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Somewhere on the forum I read that the Swift-Tach coupler was problematic but I don’t see a different option.
I think Kubota official language and the way people typically talk about it doesn't line up well, so what you're seeing on the build page may be something different than you think.

I believe the swift-tach refers to either connection system - so the method of removing the entire loader arm assembly can be either a through-pin, or a kind of clip on solution. Either can be removed whilst sitting in the seat. I think the through-pin is more durable, but both seem plenty durable for the purpose unless you're working the loader hard (and particularly if you're banging into things, rather than just lifting things).

The clip-on type comes with the ganged hydraulic hose connection, with flat face couplers. Some people have reported leaking on these - there was always amazement that Kubota could afford to put this system on the tractors, and it may be that they cut some corners on quality to hit a price point.

Personally I would get the single lever coupler anyway, because I take my loader on and off, and I'd put up with a bit of weeping from the joints in order to avoid having to pull the pioneer couplers off one by one - it's a pain and gets oil all over you. Unfortunately in NZ that isn't an option we get (apparently NZers are tight arse with money and won't spend the extra $1K NZ that it actually costs on the wholesale price of the machine). So I have the pioneer couplers (older style), and they are relatively stiff, and in a somewhat hard to reach location (also hard to get banged by sticks and branches, so I see why they are where they are). I often graze one or more knuckles getting them on and off, and it's irritating.

You would typically take the loader on and off to mow. You wouldn't be mowing with it, so you may take it off very rarely. In that case the older style would be fine. But as you say, hard to get. But check the naming of the parts very carefully, it may be that there are two types of swift-tach, rather than you not wanting swift-tach at all. I definitely recall people saying the could option the old-style.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks PaulL
I don’t foresee having to remove the loader very often. Maybe just switching between a bucket, pallet forks and maybe a grappler

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks PaulL
I don’t foresee having to remove the loader very often. Maybe just switching between a bucket, pallet forks and maybe a grappler
Yup, you need SSQA for that. Separate element. It's switching the implement on the end of the loader, not taking the loader itself on and off. And if you want a grapple you need 3rd function installed, ideally when you get the tractor. Be careful about knowing what sort of fittings come on the 3rd function you install, and what fittings are on the grapple, and make sure they match.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new B2601 with a 54” bucket up front and a backhoe with a 12” bucket. Dealer suggested the smaller BH bucket because the ground here is very rocky. I’m also getting the third-function valve and a grapple. I think for the work I plan on doing, the grapple is a better choice than the pallet forks. Also going with the R14 tires.
They have the tractor in stock, but they don’t expect to see any backhoes until next month (and even longer time for grapple). It hold dealer is wait until BH comes in to take delivery.

Appreciate all the feedback and help I got from this forum. I’ll be sure to post pictures once it gets delivered.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new B2601 with a 54” bucket up front and a backhoe with a 12” bucket. Dealer suggested the smaller BH bucket because the ground here is very rocky. I’m also getting the third-function valve and a grapple. I think for the work I plan on doing, the grapple is a better choice than the pallet forks. Also going with the R14 tires.
They have the tractor in stock, but they don’t expect to see any backhoes until next month (and even longer time for grapple). It hold dealer is wait until BH comes in to take delivery.

Appreciate all the feedback and help I got from this forum. I’ll be sure to post pictures once it gets delivered.
Did you buy from Burke?

I had a number of issues with the backhoe and thumb. The stick and boom collide when fully extended, two grease fittings were completely loose and painted shut. The thumb kit had the pin that was too short and it was not drilled for a grease fitting. The thumb could not be adjusted to the highest position making it impossible to dig properly. After taking the thumb parts to Burke and comparing them to those in a new kit, it turns out that wrong parts were in that box as well. Just today I elongated the hole in the thumb to allow full opening and made a crescent shaped insert to fill the resulting gap. Burke wouldn't schedule my tractor till 6/30 and then a wait for the factory rep making my unit useless well in to July or maybe longer. Since there is no clear plan on how to fix these factory mistakes, I decided to do it myself. The work space and technicians are minimal, which explains why bad parts were installed and workmanship was poor.

Keep in mind that the sale was made May 3rd and I might be able to dig a hole tomorrow June 20th. That is 7 weeks for a tractor and implements that were in stock. I need to grind clearance at the collision point but it is raining now and I want to do that well out in the field. If you want a tractor, I would get things started now and be prepared for lengthy delays and excuses.

IMG_2378.JPG

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks for the feedback. I did not buy it from Burke. I went to a Kubota dealer about 15 mi. from my house. I’ll be sure to make sure the parts all work when it finally comes in.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for the feedback. I did not but it from Burke. I went to a Kubota dealer about 15 mi. from my house. I’ll be sure to make sure the parts all work when it finally comes in.
I bought a B2601 recently for my 2 1/2 acre suburban yard and like it a lot. Congratulations. Have fun.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thx Jimmy
My neighbor was giving me gruff over the purchase, saying I could just rent one for a couple of weekends, blah, blah, blah. Of course he’ll be the first one to ask to borrow it when it arrives. :)

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
So it’s been almost 7 months since I ordered my B2601. The tractor itself was delivered relatively quickly (to the dealer) but it took until December 2021 for the loader and backhoe to arrive. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I still have no tractor. The bracket where the backhoe attaches to the tractor frame wasn’t welded properly and it doesn’t sit properly.
Here are the two sides and as you can see, the first one sits flush while the second pic shows the misalignment. You can see how it sits above the pocket. Ugh. They are waiting for a replacement bracket.
72D550CA-0801-4720-8F8D-265FBBF3E101.jpeg
ACE451A1-E3CD-4F8D-ABA9-DB178AE2CEDD.jpeg

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
The dealer tells me that my tractor will be delivered this Saturday (as long as we don't get the foot of snow they are forecasting). Fingers crossed

Reactions: 2 users

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Tractor got delivered today. I used it for about an hour to move some snow around.
I’m really happy with it but have two questions to ask the dealer tomorrow.
1. They originally told me that the delivery was delayed because there was some misalignment of one of the mounting pins for the backhoe (see photos above) but it does not appear that anything was changed. I asked the delivery guy and he didn’t know anything. He didn’t think the fact that the pin didn’t sit perfectly flush on the right side would have impact on the performance of the backhoe, but I’m still going to ask the dealer.

2.There’s a scratch in the hood. I know that this is a tractor, and it’s going to get beat up a bit, but it still cost $30K brand-new and really should be perfect, at least for the first day! Am I overreacting? At first I just thought it was a streak of mud/dirt, but it’s a legitimate scratch.
931F3FDE-3C81-40E0-99F8-AB3D5CA516A8.jpeg

Now I just have to figure out how to use that ‘float’ option with the bucket. The delivery guy gave me an overview, but I didn’t pay close enough attention.

Reactions: 1 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Sadly not uncommon these days. It should be right the first time - right? That’s what you paid for. But we all know tractors with these imperfections are making it through dealers fast these days. There’s somebody out there that will be happy with $500 off for the scratch. Not 100% sure on the pin issue. You are right, should be in the bottom of the valley. It’s not but how much force would be required to bust it out? Kubota may even have specs for it. I only have the little BX but my pins line up.

Do you have any other attachments that need the same hook? If they didn’t sit in the valley I would be sending the tractor back to the dealer. Other option is to grind it. Depends on the dog in the fight!
Just my 2c and I am new at this.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks Lynnmor
I think you’re right about the length of my open trailer. It is also single-axle with no brakes. I’ll cross the trailer bridge at a later date. I’m not sure how often (if at all) the tractor would have to do double-duty at home and at the horse farm (family dues stuff that’s not worth getting into).

I would definitely dig getting to see some photos of your new ride when it comes in!

I’ll post the quote I get from Burke along with some of the options I was thinking about. I think Kubota should hire whoever builds the configurator on the Porsche website. You get to see every option as it is added and get a really good image of what your car will look like. I used the ‘Build’ feature on the Kubota site, and while it’s great for getting pricing info, there is no real visual representation of what you are building.

Anyway, definitely send me some photos of your new 2601!
You can rent an equipment trailer suitable for the job to haul the tractor home, or just pay the dealer to deliver it.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
You are not over reacting, the scratch and the poor fit of the pins are not acceptable. I had a couple of scratches that were deeper, but shorter than yours, the useless dealer used touch up paint on them and then gave me paint. I filled the scratches with more touch up paint, then wet sanded and polished and now they can't be seen.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I reached out to the dealer. They told me that the bracket had been replaced and that it may need a little bit of adjustment. They also said they would take care of the hood. They are coming back for the tractor one day next week. I’ll let you know what happens.

on a side note - does anyone have the plow that attached to the loader or do most folks just use the bucket to move snow?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I reached out to the dealer. They told me that the bracket had been replaced and that it may need a little bit of adjustment. They also said they would take care of the hood. They are coming back for the tractor one day next week. I’ll let you know what happens.

on a side note - does anyone have the plow that attached to the loader or do most folks just use the bucket to move snow?
I use a rear blade to move snow. If it’s really deep I hold the bucket several inches above the ground and use the rear blade to remove the rest. The rear blade is useful for maintaining roads during other seasons and cutting ditches, etc… a snowplow blade has only one use.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I use a rear blade to move snow. If it’s really deep I hold the bucket several inches above the ground and use the rear blade to remove the rest. The rear blade is useful for maintaining roads during other seasons and cutting ditches, etc… a snowplow blade has only one use.
Thanks! Probably a dumb follow-up question, but to I have to buy the Kubota rear-blade assembly, or are there other alternatives that may cost a little less? I’m still learning the ropes here. :)