First tractor

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks Paul. I have not seen the 2601 in person. I will see if there are any other Kubota dealers w/in driving distance this weekend.

I’ll also try posting a picture of the rocks, boulders and trees I want to move as this might give folks a better idea of my plans for this property.

Reactions: 1 user

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I did a quick search for B2601 for sale. The closest one that came up is in OH, but just from the photos, it definitely looks like something i need to see in person. Like Pail said, it may be the perfect fit for what I need. I saw this new one with a FEL and a BH for $29000. No idea if that’s a good deal or not, but it’s in my budget. MN is pretty far from NJ though. Lol
D4F276C0-11D1-4486-8307-D727EC9345CC.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I kicked the tires on a new B2601 last winter. FEL and backhoe. No other options.

Salesman said they were in the $27K "ballpark" at the time. I see this one has a thumb. I didn't get a quote or anything. Just kickin' tires. I think the on-line "Build" for that machine was just shy of $28K, but it was December.

So I think that $29k is in the neighborhood, but a long way away.....

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks RCW. I should correct my earlier post as the photo I clipped came form a dealer out in WA! THat's a looooooong way away for sure! lol That said, I have purchased cars and had them shipped across the country, but I'm assuming that probably won't be necessary when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I would just like to go to a dealer and sit on the different models.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I kicked the tires on a new B2601 last winter. FEL and backhoe. No other options.

Salesman said they were in the $27K "ballpark" at the time. I see this one has a thumb. I didn't get a quote or anything. Just kickin' tires. I think the on-line "Build" for that machine was just shy of $28K, but it was December.

So I think that $29k is in the neighborhood, but a long way away.....
RCW, is the thumb an extra option on the backhoe? Sorry if that is a dumb question. It seems like that would make the most sense to have if I wanted to be moving rocks around, no?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Since you may not be too far from Delaware, you might want buy in a sales tax free state. The dealer in Newark, DE had two 2601's and I bought one. The dealers near me had none and couldn't give me a delivery date. I paid $27,500 out the door with a QA loader, backhoe, subframe, buckets, thumb and cutting edge. List was about $29,000 so while not a super deal, in the current environment it was OK.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Inventory is tough right now. Finding the machine you want could be challenging.

I always recommend searching for videos on YouTube. GP Outdoors has a lot videos of his B2601 before he upgraded to a LX2610. I find the user videos helpful because you can see what they do in the real world.

Just remember, any tractor is better than no tractor. A smaller machine might require more trips or more creative thinking to accomplish tough tasks, but it’s better than using a hand shovel.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
RCW, is the thumb an extra option on the backhoe? Sorry if that is a dumb question. It seems like that would make the most sense to have if I wanted to be moving rocks around, no?
The thumb is an extra option, on the order of $500-700. It’s mechanical not hydraulic.

I didn’t get one for my B2601. I have a grapple on the way. It seemed like the money spent on the thumb would be more useful spent on a 3rd function and grapple setup which is more useful for me.

I would do a lot of research and thinking about the backhoe, it’s an expensive option. I typically look at it as something you buy if you’ve got the cash laying around, not to save money by avoiding renting stuff (in most cases).

For me I justified that the BH70 would be fun to have long term for doing random things around the house. I didn’t look at it from a “I need it to do X Y Z this summer and it’ll save me money over renting”.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Since you may not be too far from Delaware, you might want buy in a sales tax free state. The dealer in Newark, DE had two 2601's and I bought one. The dealers near me had none and couldn't give me a delivery date. I paid $27,500 out the door with a QA loader, backhoe, subframe, buckets, thumb and cutting edge. List was about $29,000 so while not a super deal, in the current environment it was OK.
Just spoke with dealer in DE (Burke Eqpt). They have a couple in stock. They are going to put together a quote for me. I’m going to try and find some time to take a ride down there (~3.5 hr from me) to see one of these in person.

On a related note, what size trailer would I need to move something like this between properties? I have 6x10 open trailer that has a max load of 2400 lb. Would that work? I also have a 7x14 enclosed, but the ceiling height is 6’. Not sure if that is tall enough with a BH

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Just spoke with dealer in DE (Burke Eqpt). They have a couple in stock. They are going to put together a quote for me. I’m going to try and find some time to take a ride down there (~3.5 hr from me) to see one of these in person.

On a related note, what size trailer would I need to move something like this between properties? I have 6x10 open trailer that has a max load of 2400 lb. Would that work? I also have a 7x14 enclosed, but the ceiling height is 6’. Not sure if that is tall enough with a BH
The tractor, loader & backhoe will be approximately 3,000 lbs. The enclosed trailer might work, but the length is probably too short. My tractor is still not completed, it should be ready in the next two days, I'll be hauling it home in my 8x20 enclosed trailer. Burke had none that were out of the crate, so you might have to find a used one for a visual. When you see one in a create you will think that it is a toy, the crate is about the size of a small chest freezer, of course the wheels are shipped separately.

When I do pick it up, maybe I can send you photos of how it fits.

Burke buys his tractors for inventory, most other dealers stock is on a floor plan so they are still owned by Kubota. By doing it this way, Burke can get stock quicker because Kubota builds for retail first. Since there is some risk buying and holding equipment, Burke may not be the cheapest available but he may have what you want when you want it.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thanks Lynnmor
I think you’re right about the length of my open trailer. It is also single-axle with no brakes. I’ll cross the trailer bridge at a later date. I’m not sure how often (if at all) the tractor would have to do double-duty at home and at the horse farm (family dues stuff that’s not worth getting into).

I would definitely dig getting to see some photos of your new ride when it comes in!

I’ll post the quote I get from Burke along with some of the options I was thinking about. I think Kubota should hire whoever builds the configurator on the Porsche website. You get to see every option as it is added and get a really good image of what your car will look like. I used the ‘Build’ feature on the Kubota site, and while it’s great for getting pricing info, there is no real visual representation of what you are building.

Anyway, definitely send me some photos of your new 2601!

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
I have a B2601 with a frt loader, backhoe and a Mid Mount Mower with 70 hours on it for less than. $ 29, 000.00. I had two 30+ year old KUBOTA’s that I used to care for my 16 acres in NE Illinois. Purchased the 2601 TLBMMM to replace the L2250 and a year later one of the neighborhood offered to buy our place for a premium and we moved. I’m on 1 acre now with a B that’s WAY to big and sits in my heated garage and occasionally moves snow and mulch but mostly rests. Only run straight diesel, no bio diesel and has had the 50 hours service, Filters, engine oil, UDT2, Kubota Coolant. Was going to trade it in but Covid hit and smaller units went from hard to get to nonexistent. Let me know if your are interested. The deck has 20 hrs at most on it. Had a B8200 HST that mowed grass Also

I’m looking at a GR now for my acre.

Attachments

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
B2601 is a great little tractor. Consider a finish mower as opposed to a belly mower. Just picked up a LandPride FDR1660 finish mowerfor my B2601 and it does a GREAT JOB! I'd skip the Kubota Quick Hitch for whatever you buy and get a Pat's Quick Hitch. I have both and MUCH PREFER the Pat's.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Just upgraded from BX to B2601. It was under 17k delivered out the door with 60" loader and rimguard. I needed more weight and ground clearance. The BX are really, really low to the ground and tough for woods work for me. Also the 3 speed hydro seems like a winner. Running the bigger implements I felt like I was working the BX pretty hard.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I got the quote back from the dealer for this B2601 build ($29,100 after incentives):
  • PALLET FORK FRAME
  • BOLT ON CUTTING EDGE
  • 7.0 FT BACKHOE + BACKHOE MOUNTING KIT
  • FRONT LOADER LA435
  • 36" PALLET FORKS (1000 LBS. CAPACITY)
  • MECHANICAL 2 LEVER QUICK COUPLER
  • 16" PIN ON BACKHOE BUCKET
  • 54" QUICK ATTACH BUCKET
  • MECH THUMB KIT
  • R-4 TIRES

I added the pallet forks instead of a grappler because I thought that would be more useful, but am not sure. I also told the dealer I wanted a tooth bar, but I don't see it on the build. Is there anything else that you would consider 'essential'?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
What pallet forks are you looking at? There are many brands out there, buy one that gives the best protection for the tractor or at least can accept expanded metal for a guard if you are moving brush.

I ordered the bolt on cutting edge, but that may be a mistake, a bar like the Piranha Tooth Bar can be installed and removed with just two bolts.

The 16" bucket is rather large for a small tractor, depending on soil types and type of usage. Think about the bucket pushing down while the tractor goes up.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Thx lynnmor
I did a little more reading and it seems that the pallet forks might be something to think about adding from the aftermarket. I’m not sure that these pallet forks are adjustable. I thought I read that was something to consider.

Same thoughts regarding the cutting edge (I didn’t realize cutting edge = tooth bar).

I picked the 16” bucket because I thought it was the more popular choice. I definitely have a lot of rocks in my soil, so would the smaller bucket make more sense?

Somewhere on the forum I read that the Swift-Tach coupler was problematic but I don’t see a different option.

I also read that individual hydraulic connectors were preferable over a ‘single’ connector, but again I didn’t see anything like that in the build page.

Lastly, would you suggest adding one of the rear hydraulic options?

What does SSQA mean? I see that term used a lot.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
You should have forks that move to the distance apart that is needed.

Cutting edge can mean whatever the manufacturer want it to mean. The one from Kubota/Land Pride is a flat bar with an angle on the leading edge. It is meant to protect the rather thin edge on the bucket. A toothed edge will help in digging.

The smaller the bucket, the easier it will penetrate, a larger bucket will remove more material if it can get down to get it. Everything is a compromise.

I too read about the ganged hydraulic couplings being an issue and some folks went back to separate pieces. My thought is that they need to be perfectly clean and handled carefully, we shall see. As far as removing and installing the entire loader, I think problems arise when working on a surface that is not ideal.

Rear hydraulics can be added later if needed, I would wait and see what implements find their way to your wish list.

SSQA = Skid Steer Quick Attach, that system found its way to the compact tractor market because it is simple and allows the use of a broader range of implements.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
Thx lynnmor
I did a little more reading and it seems that the pallet forks might be something to think about adding from the aftermarket. I’m not sure that these pallet forks are adjustable. I thought I read that was something to consider.

Same thoughts regarding the cutting edge (I didn’t realize cutting edge = tooth bar).

I picked the 16” bucket because I thought it was the more popular choice. I definitely have a lot of rocks in my soil, so would the smaller bucket make more sense?

Somewhere on the forum I read that the Swift-Tach coupler was problematic but I don’t see a different option.

I also read that individual hydraulic connectors were preferable over a ‘single’ connector, but again I didn’t see anything like that in the build page.

Lastly, would you suggest adding one of the rear hydraulic options?

What does SSQA mean? I see that term used a lot.
Your pallet fork specs are the same as my Kubota forks. Mine are adjustable and are SSQA. I have a 16" bucket on my backhoe with mechanical thumb and it's perfect. I use the backhoe and pallet forks all the time.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have a 16" bucket on my backhoe with mechanical thumb and it's perfect. I use the backhoe and pallet forks all the time.
I believe that your tractor weighs about twice as much as the proposed B2601 that weighs 1632 lbs.