First time Orange buyer, would appreciate some input

MDReed

Jun 6, 2022
Bedford Pa
For the past 5 years, my neighbor has been kind enough to let me use his BX Kubota. But this year, I've been using it to the point where my conscience says I should get my own.
I'm looking at a BX24D said to be an 06, 1200 hrs, steering cyl leaks alot and will need replaced, guy wants $12,500 for it, it's an hour away & I'd have to get it hauled. Good deal?
Or I have option of of a BX25 from a dealer, 500hrs, completely gone over, 30 day warranty, they'll deliver, $16,900 plus tax.
Both machines have a loader & hoe.
Dilemma is to go for the cheaper & hope the machine holds up, or dump every last cent I got into the more expensive one & hope the economy holds up to.
Credit is not an option.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you like the one you have been borrowing from neighbor have you asked what it would take for them to sell it to you? Assuming it is something you want and been maintained.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
For the past 5 years, my neighbor has been kind enough to let me use his BX Kubota. But this year, I've been using it to the point where my conscience says I should get my own.
I'm looking at a BX24D said to be an 06, 1200 hrs, steering cyl leaks alot and will need replaced, guy wants $12,500 for it, it's an hour away & I'd have to get it hauled. Good deal?
Or I have option of of a BX25 from a dealer, 500hrs, completely gone over, 30 day warranty, they'll deliver, $16,900 plus tax.
Both machines have a loader & hoe.
Dilemma is to go for the cheaper & hope the machine holds up, or dump every last cent I got into the more expensive one & hope the economy holds up to.
Credit is not an option.
Editing my comment because I didn't see they both had a hoe. I'd go with option #2 but keep looking around, there are lower hour units similarly priced online. Have you thought about going with a new unit? I believe Kubota still offers attractive financing and you don't have to worry about someone else's lack of maintenance or potential abuse.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd be a bit worried about a machine with a steering cylinder leak - the fact they didn't fix it sort of tells me something. It makes me wonder what else is wrong, and how hard they've been working the machine to have that kind of wear at 1200 hours.

My view is that the little TLBs have two sorts of owner:
- a guy who wanted all the bells and whistles, but actually uses the backhoe a couple times a year and mostly mows and moves mulch with it. These machines are usually immaculate, and 2000 hours wouldn't be a worry
- someone who's using it for contracting work, using it hard every day digging ditches (with the apprentice treating it bad)

I know, the world doesn't divide into two like that. But of the two, sounds to me like the BX24 is the second category. And while they're strong little machines, any machine used in that way will wear out. If the BX25 is in the first category, it's massively better buying.

Reactions: 3 users

MDReed

Jun 6, 2022
Bedford Pa
Editing my comment because I didn't see they both had a hoe. I'd go with option #2 but keep looking around, there are lower hour units similarly priced online. Have you thought about going with a new unit? I believe Kubota still offers attractive financing and you don't have to worry about someone else's lack of maintenance or potential abuse.
Credit's not an option

MDReed

Jun 6, 2022
Bedford Pa
I'd be a bit worried about a machine with a steering cylinder leak - the fact they didn't fix it sort of tells me something. It makes me wonder what else is wrong, and how hard they've been working the machine to have that kind of wear at 1200 hours.

My view is that the little TLBs have two sorts of owner:
- a guy who wanted all the bells and whistles, but actually uses the backhoe a couple times a year and mostly mows and moves mulch with it. These machines are usually immaculate, and 2000 hours wouldn't be a worry
- someone who's using it for contracting work, using it hard every day digging ditches (with the apprentice treating it bad)

I know, the world doesn't divide into two like that. But of the two, sounds to me like the BX24 is the second category. And while they're strong little machines, any machine used in that way will wear out. If the BX25 is in the first category, it's massively better buying.
Good point

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Have you seen either one in person or just pics? If you haven't been looking for long I think I would hold out a little longer and request more photos of any that are farther away so you have a better idea. Sharp detailed photos go a long ways and most people have the phones to get them now days.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If they were my two choices I elect to go with the BX24D. I'd try to negotiate the price down, $4,400 plus your tax rate would go a long way on repairs, you can ren a trailer to get it home, if you're capable of perfroming the repairs youself you'll know what was done. Either way you'll need to purchase a WSM. The BX25 "complety gone over" ???, 30 days isn't that long. Just my $.02

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
BX25 is newer and over 1/2 the hours on it, no known repairs needed, ready to use for $4,400 more, I would definitely go with that. Only reason I would go with the BX24, would be if you could buy it for a few thousand less and are able to do the repairs yourself.

Reactions: 1 users

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
I would not rush into a purchase. I spent 3 months looking for a Ford Fusion. Found the exact one I wanted. Well worth the wait getting exactly what you want. Local Facebook has a Kubota BX2370 sub compact tractor for $15,800 with a few small extras. They are out there. Good advice my dad gave me years ago was you never buy a car when you need one!

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
BX25 is newer and over 1/2 the hours on it, no known repairs needed, ready to use for $4,400 more, I would definitely go with that. Only reason I would go with the BX24, would be if you could buy it for a few thousand less and are able to do the repairs yourself.
x2

MDReed

Jun 6, 2022
Bedford Pa
What Paul said makes alot of sense, usage & maintenance etc, so I looked good into that.

I've seen the 25 in person. It's at a local Kubota dealer that's been in the equipment business for three generations. It's a trade they sold original, and took in on a bigger one. Its usage was homeowner.

The 24D I have not seen in person, but have seen pics & videos. The steering leakage is constant drip out both ends. I googled the serial number, and found it was sold at auction a year ago for $12,200 with 1,182 hrs on it. Paint & plastic is faded, tells me it lived outside.

Thanks all for the input. We're leaning heavy twords the 25. I know 30 days isn't a great period of time, but I'm purt sure I get at least 50 hrs on it in 30 days.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What Paul said makes alot of sense, usage & maintenance etc, so I looked good into that.

I've seen the 25 in person. It's at a local Kubota dealer that's been in the equipment business for three generations. It's a trade they sold original, and took in on a bigger one. Its usage was homeowner.

The 24D I have not seen in person, but have seen pics & videos. The steering leakage is constant drip out both ends. I googled the serial number, and found it was sold at auction a year ago for $12,200 with 1,182 hrs on it. Paint & plastic is faded, tells me it lived outside.

Thanks all for the input. We're leaning heavy twords the 25. I know 30 days isn't a great period of time, but I'm purt sure I get at least 50 hrs on it in 30 days.
The 24D was sold at auction?
A bad omen!
Might have been a rental machine, (with leaking steering cyl.) but almost certainly not a homeowner machine.
ABSOLUTELY go for the 25, being resold by the original dealer, who has been around for "three generations"
The 30 days issue, is not an issue at all, particularly on a 500 hour original dealer upgrade trade in Kubota!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just another option, what if you offer to do the regular maintenance on his and do projects/mow for him. Could be a win/win for both of you.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One thing to look at on ANY used BX is to make sure the HST cooling fan is intact.

They are plastic, and prone to having fins broken off by brush, etc.

It's a $20 part, but could cost $100's of dollars to have fixed at a shop.

Person I know bought a used BX a couple years ago.....guess what was broken.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
To me the warranty is immaterial. Most second hand machines would have no warranty. Warranties to me are for things that are broken from the factory - something that's not assembled well or out of tolerance. They get found in the first 3-6 months usually. Any of those were found by the previous owner. 30 days is enough for if it turns out to be a lemon, which is all you need.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To me the warranty is immaterial. Most second hand machines would have no warranty. Warranties to me are for things that are broken from the factory - something that's not assembled well or out of tolerance. They get found in the first 3-6 months usually. Any of those were found by the previous owner. 30 days is enough for if it turns out to be a lemon, which is all you need.
AGREED 100%!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
18 years ago a BX22 was $16,000.

500 hours of use by a homeowner is not a lot. And it was likely not abused.

Point is that 18 years ago the same amount of money was worth a lot more than it is today. So the dealer price is likely fair, especially with tractors hard to find these days.

I‘m in the buy the BX25 camp too.

That being said, I would probably price a BX23S on the Kubota web site for comparison…even though credit is not an option.

My BX is older, and all metal. If the BX25 was all metal too, that would be another incentive. I believe I read that Kubota went back to all metal at some point.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My BX is older, and all metal. If the BX25 was all metal too, that would be another incentive. I believe I read that Kubota went back to all metal at some point.
I think it was the BX2350 and only the BX2x50 that was plastic. That was the model I had, every single piece of plastic on it was cracked or broken. I got it from an auction, the owner before me was a contracting outfit. They clearly let the apprentice drive it. Having said that, mechanically it still went fine - they're tough machines.

They went back to metal after that experience. JD seem to be fine with plastic, but for whatever reason it was a disaster for Kubota.