First oil Change

nkcblue

Equipment
L3400DT, 94 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins, 01 Fatboy
Oct 29, 2009
Platte City, Missouri, USA
Hey Guys,

I have a L3400dt that I bought last fall. If I am reading the owners manual about maintenance, it looks as though no oil change is required until 50 hours of service. I only plowed some snow last winter and didn't put many hours on the little orange tractor. Now that I am mowing with it I have about 25 hours on it and was thinking I should go ahead and change the oil and filter instead of waiting to 50 hours. What do you guys think? Waisting money or good idea? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I would just wait til about the 50 hour mark, no sense in wasting good oil if you don't have to.;)

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hey Guys,

I have a L3400dt that I bought last fall. If I am reading the owners manual about maintenance, it looks as though no oil change is required until 50 hours of service. I only plowed some snow last winter and didn't put many hours on the little orange tractor. Now that I am mowing with it I have about 25 hours on it and was thinking I should go ahead and change the oil and filter instead of waiting to 50 hours. What do you guys think? Waisting money or good idea? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
With the # of hrs you are using it I would run it the season and then change before winter.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I just changed my fluid and filters - at the first 50 hour interval. The engine oil and filter wasn't bad at all. The hydraulic fluid looked great - but the hydraulic filter had numerous metal shavings on the magnetic ring and inside the filter. The metal shavings appeared to be drill shavings from when the casting was drilled at the factory. I haven't had any hydraulic problems - I wish I had changed the hydraulic filter sooner, given what I now know. If you change the hydraulic filter - you will loose most if not all of your hydraulic fluid. When you do change the filters, they will be a little more difficult to get loose as the original ones have been painted over. Your tractor may not have as many metal in it as mine did. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I changed my oil at 25 hrs and after seeing the amount of metal that came out of the trans case I filled it with cheaper oil and changed it at 50 hrs as well. At the 50 hr mark I installed Amsoil fluid thru the entire machine. It sounds like the low number of hrs that you are putting on your tractor you may need to look at the date you change the oil instead of the hrs. Due to moisture condensation and acids from the engine blow by your oil needs to be changed once per year even if you don't reach the recomended service interval hr requirements. It may seem like a waste of money now but 20 yrs from now when your engine is still in good shape you will be proud you did it. A good PM program will be the life of your tractor. Look at it like this, is it cheaper to buy a little extra oil or to replace the tractor. I know which one is cheaper for me.

nkcblue

Equipment
L3400DT, 94 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins, 01 Fatboy
Oct 29, 2009
Platte City, Missouri, USA
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input. It is what I really like about this group in that you can always bounce stuff off other people with similar equipment to get good feedback.