First mod...

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
If I appear to be a little negative here I am sorry but from what I can see the mod has gone some way to spoil the tractor.
Apart from the issue of welding on to the rop,the high positon could pose a some problems if one was tempted to hook a rope/chain on them.
If you look at the clamps above your hooks,thats the best fixing to a rop with any welding of hooks on to the sadle.

Sorry!
Dave

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If I appear to be a little negative here I am sorry but from what I can see the mod has gone some way to spoil the tractor.
Apart from the issue of welding on to the rop,the high positon could pose a some problems if one was tempted to hook a rope/chain on them.
If you look at the clamps above your hooks,thats the best fixing to a rop with any welding of hooks on to the sadle.

Sorry!
Dave
Based on the description, I assumed that the hook was a place to hang chains when not using them. By the placement and angle, the hook wouldn't be of any use for pulling, so it is probably for hanging/storage. That was my impression.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Based on the description, I assumed that the hook was a place to hang chains when not using them. By the placement and angle, the hook wouldn't be of any use for pulling, so it is probably for hanging/storage. That was my impression.
Yes thats how I read it but would you not agree that they are over kill to hang chains on? now the hooks are there,there is a danger of anyone else using the tractor using them to tug with.
dave

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Chain hooks/holders. mounted on rops..
welding is not the best, just gets the job done...
It's always nice to see some others pimp up their tractor.
In this case I would like to add a comment. If you have a structur at the tractor you trust your life on, you should not weaken the structur with heat treatments. And regarding the hooks, it looks to me, that the stuff that will be hold their will easily fall off when the tractor drives offroad.
We all try something, I hope the mod will work for you.

Have fun! :rolleyes:

der carl

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend, yes we all do things to the Orange beast to make it better,,:D

However and this is just from some personal experiences, NEVER,,NEVER ,,NEVER do any thing to the ROPS drill cut bend weld nada nada nada,,,
Reason is that should ,,God forbid,, you would roll that beast over and the ROPS fail,, you get hurt or worse, or someone else gets hurt or killed,,
The COMPANY will not cover the RPOS because you modified it,, I have seen this before and have the misfortune of investigating deaths because the factory ROPS failed,, why because someone modified it some how. They are designed and signed off by a PE and any changes void that design. I'm not trying to rain on your paraid, just wanted to let you know something that's all.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i appreciate your concern for my safety. my last tractor did not have a roll bar, seat belts, engine kill switch in the seat or adequate fenders.. this rig is so much safer. but you are right i did weaken the structure… my property is more or less flat. less that 1.5% grade at the worse…. and that area most likely won't see any work done… the high mounted chain hooks are to keep the chain from dragging or catching on stuff. it weighs a bit (rated for 4000+ lbs) as i'm using it to pull un-trimmed logs… some over 30' long and knee high.. even with using the rear wheel lock and 4x4, i have a bit of a challenge to get some of them moving… a few i've had to cut to move.. or lift with the pallet forks… now that gets tricky if the log isn't balanced side to side…

one thing i've been thinking about.. my property insurance gives me a discount for a home security system… i'm thinking sense i'm out here by myself on the tractor. it might be a good idea to have one of those push buttons you wear, just in case of a health problem or a mishap occurs. would be a whole lot easier than trying to dial 911 after digging my cell out of a pocket...

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
one thing i've been thinking about.. my property insurance gives me a discount for a home security system… i'm thinking sense i'm out here by myself on the tractor. it might be a good idea to have one of those push buttons you wear, just in case of a health problem or a mishap occurs. would be a whole lot easier than trying to dial 911 after digging my cell out of a pocket...
You might have something there.... a neighbor up north had the first of two loads of gravel delivered, and proceeded to begin spreading it with a skidsteer.
He was a retired heavy equipment operator, and no one knows how it happened, but he rolled the bobcat over on himself, (no seat belt) and broke 17 bones, plus internal injuries. He laid there trapped for 3 1/2 hrs until the gravel truck brought the second load. Perhaps one of those personal security alert buttons would have saved him a lot of pain.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If that's a fairly new tractor under warranty, welding those hooks just voided out any an all warranty on the tractor. Including the ROPS and any service repairs.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My fault I might have misunderstood. I've heard in the past on here that any major alteration to a tractor can void all warranty since its not factor or dealer installed.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm with Tempforce all the way on this one. My first tractor - L185DT - also had no ROPS, safety switches, seat belts, interlocks, tail lights or turn indicators. It had a huge pucker factor, so I built my own 4-post ROPS. The backhoe tended to bleed down, so I welded some chain hooks high up on the ROPS to sling a chain around the boom and hold it up. The frame for its FEL swung across the front of the tractor, and blocked the lights. I cut out half-moons from it to make them functional. And I built dualies, not to be cool, but to gain floatation, traction and stability. For years I worried that the tractor wasn't designed for them, but they sure worked - and still do!

Tempforce made his tractor work better for him, and wanted to share the idea. I praise that. Maybe I'd have done it a bit differently, but maybe not. It works for him. Anything that makes it do our job better is a good idea.

As for the safety song, I have an L3200. Take a good look at how the seat belts are attached, then talk about engineering. Ask why Kubota would put tires on a tractor that then require wheel spacers to use chains in the winter. My tractor wouldn't fit through my standard garage door. Too tall. I have the canopy, so folding the ROPS was not an option; in truth, I'd never have put the ROPS up and down every time I wanted to take the tractor in or out of the barn anyway. So I cut about 3-1/2" off the top section of the ROPS. Is it any less safe? I don't plan on hiring kids to use the tractor, lend it to the neighbor, or sue Kubota if I happen to roll it.

I've seen less than charitable comments here on things that work well but may not look so good. I like what works well. Good job, Tempforce!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On the voided warranty on the whole tractor issue:
I was picking up some parts at the local dealer & overheard a loud, heated argument.... seems a kubota owner had brought his tractor (unknown model) in for a warranty issue. (electrical I assume) He had welded hooks on his bucket, and they were refusing to cover the warranty work because they said they had no way to verifying that he had removed the battery cables & fuses before welding on the tractor. Their point was that he caused the problem, and should have had them weld the bucket hooks. i left before the end of the argument.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I for one am not trying to tell anybody what to do with your tractor and how you should or should not modify it. But then again its YOUR life and YOUR tractor that you are tampering with. SO feel free to do whatever it is you'd like to do.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
On the voided warranty on the whole tractor issue:
I was picking up some parts at the local dealer & overheard a loud, heated argument.... seems a kubota owner had brought his tractor (unknown model) in for a warranty issue. (electrical I assume) He had welded hooks on his bucket, and they were refusing to cover the warranty work because they said they had no way to verifying that he had removed the battery cables & fuses before welding on the tractor. Their point was that he caused the problem, and should have had them weld the bucket hooks. i left before the end of the argument.
That's a crock. They were just weaseling out of warranty work.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That's a crock. They were just weaseling out of warranty work.
That was my opinion..... same dealer tried (hard) to charge me for the labor to install my ROPS under Kubota's ROPS retrofit plan, then they screwed up the installation.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
first mod is requiring a mod… the hooks take up to much room for back hoe operation. also may cause a issue if getting away from tractor in a hurry. so they are coming off and being re-positioned to point backwards instead of inward.. also attaching them on the outside of the rop. instead of the backside… will post if they don't work out...