Finding Axle max weight rating?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
How would a guy figure out how many pounds the front (or rear) axle on my L 5740 is rated for? I can't find it in the owner's manual, tractordata.com, etc.

Thanks,

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How would a guy figure out how many pounds the front (or rear) axle on my L 5740 is rated for? I can't find it in the owner's manual, tractordata.com, etc.

Thanks,
Kubota does not specify such, but you should be well within ratings if you follow recommended limitations in the Operator's Manual and do not increase hydraulic pressure, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire

Thanks,
Messicks has a you tube on just this discussion using Kubota as the example. Can't remember the title, but it convinced me that running with a carryall makes sense. IIRC, he explained how to figure it out.

He demonstrated with scales. Someone probably will recall the title.

Dewey

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Messicks has a you tube on just this discussion using Kubota as the example. Can't remember the title, but it convinced me that running with a carryall makes sense. IIRC, he explained how to figure it out.

He demonstrated with scales. Someone probably will recall the title.

Dewey
Probably just search it out under 'ballast'. There are several videos on the subject.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Messick's also has a video about the axles being marginal or even insufficiently rated for the application. A John Deere 1 series and a BX are evaluated; both have axle ratings that barely account for the weight of the tractor and the loader. In general, I believe that front axles are not overrated in their application. Operate your equipment within the factory lift limits, if you want to get as much life out of the equipment as possible.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
This is my concern. Just eyeballing it there’s no way the front axle is meant to routinely carry what the loader can lift. (Lifting 1500 pounds with my loader puts about double that on the front axle. If I throw 2000 on the back to balance the 1400 up front it’s “only” a little less than 1600 additional on the front.)

I’m hefting 1400 pound totes of firewood and want to know how much I should have on the back to compensate. My IH-80 snowblowers feels about right but I’m casting a smaller weight to maneuver in the trees and wondering how much it should weigh. I’m guessing I should keep tossing weight on till the front gets light (with nothing on the loader), then back off a smidge.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Probably just search it out under 'ballast'. There are several videos on the subject.

He addressed my first thought when I started watching the video- unsprung weight of the front tires. I'm going to guess maybe 150-175 lbs for the pair? So, yeah, barely within limits. I was thinking the axle should have been on jack stands and the stands on the scale. Could also simply subtract the actual wheel/ tire combination weight. Good vid.

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA