FEL seals

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Hi Guys,
Quick question: Is it possible to just get the inner seal for a loader ram without all the other rings?
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi Guys,
Quick question: Is it possible to just get the inner seal for a loader ram without all the other rings?
Thanks
More details please.

Model of loader.

How did you determine the ram needed work and further how did you narrow the part needed to a single seal?

What tests have you performed before asking here?

Do you have forks or a grapple?

Are you referring to the lift arm cylinders or the bucket cylinders?

Were you rebuilding the ram and damaged a seal?

Dave

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if you go to a hydraulic shop yes they will sell you the dust seal if that's all you want.

problem is, if you see oil, it needs more than a dust seal. The dust seal is the first seal you see on the outside. Typically folks see oil, then they'd bring it to us (dealer) and we'd put a kit in. As long as the ram wasn't bent and the bore was round and not scratched up, they were rebuildable. Then they'd come pick em up and gripe about a $100 repair bill, and most of that was parts. Kubota don't sell just a dust seal or just a gland o-ring for a reason. Typically when you see oil leaking, it needs almost every seal and o-ring replaced.

Reactions: 1 user

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
To continue on lugbolt's post.
The outer cap seal/wiper is first to go on and last to come off... The piston has to come off the rod to remove the cap. By the time you get to this point you have completely disassembled the ram.

I looked up the seal kits for that la650 loader and there is a revision of ram seals. The older kit looks to be 20ish a set for boom or bucket. The newer is 40ish for each cylinder. You will need to cross the actual cylinder part number stamped in the tube to find which kit you need.

And to answer your first question no not from kubota.

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I replaced all the seal packs a couple of weeks ago. The lift cylinders are holding but the curl seals are dropping quicker than before. I must have damaged one or put it in backways.

Attachments

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Another member is having the same issue with bucket power/curl. I believe he has started the troubleshooting of isolating the curl circuit, and measuring the tube diameter for swell.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I replaced all the seal packs a couple of weeks ago. The lift cylinders are holding but the curl seals are dropping quicker than before. I must have damaged one or put it in backways.
Before starting to change seals ( I know it is a little late for you) it is best to thoroughly test the cylinder so you know what the problem is.

The prevalent use of forks, and improper loader use can lead to cylinders which are swelled in the middle and no seal can fix that condition.

I will attach the test method which you should do before any further repairs.

Dave

Attachments

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Before starting to change seals ( I know it is a little late for you) it is best to thoroughly test the cylinder so you know what the problem is.

The prevalent use of forks, and improper loader use can lead to cylinders which are swelled in the middle and no seal can fix that condition.

I will attach the test method which you should do before any further repairs.

Dave
I will go through the tests but it was fine until the seals started leaking, which is why I replaced them. They were the original seals, so about 30 years old. I don't have forks and the loader is usually off the tractor unless I need it. I'll get a blank in town tomorrow
Thanks