FEL options for new BX1870

jerry746

Apr 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Received my BX1870 about a week ago and am learning as much as I can about it. I have a question on the FEL attachments for it. I am looking for a used LA203 which are hard to find. Are there any other model FELs such as older models that would work on the BX1870? I also read that the LA243 will go right on (My brother in law has that on his BX 2370) but my dealer says thats not true. I could borrow his if it will fit with the right side brackets for mine. Any information on his would be helpful.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Received my BX1870 about a week ago and am learning as much as I can about it. I have a question on the FEL attachments for it. I am looking for a used LA203 which are hard to find. Are there any other model FELs such as older models that would work on the BX1870? I also read that the LA243 will go right on (My brother in law has that on his BX 2370) but my dealer says thats not true. I could borrow his if it will fit with the right side brackets for mine. Any information on his would be helpful.

Jerry,

not sure I understand ........ you want to find a loader that will fit your tractor, your brother has a LA243. Is he close by? How would you move the loader? Unhook his and then hook yours up to it?

I would suggest that you borrow your brothers whole machine if possible:eek:

In order to think about what you are doing, you will need the subframe to be attached to YOUR tractor all the time........and then see if the lift arm assembly will work from both machines. Not sure that is true in the first place! Do you have the hydraulics set up all ready for the loader ??

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I would trust what the dealer says. However, in case you do not trust his product knowledge, then just call another dealer. Sometimes dealers have opinions rather than hard fact. If you find another dealer that says it will fit, ask him to tell you how he knows it will and if any sort of adapters are necessary. If you find that all of them agree that it won't fit, then that should tell you something.

jerry746

Apr 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Jerry,

not sure I understand ........ you want to find a loader that will fit your tractor, your brother has a LA243. Is he close by? How would you move the loader? Unhook his and then hook yours up to it?

I would suggest that you borrow your brothers whole machine if possible:eek:

In order to think about what you are doing, you will need the subframe to be attached to YOUR tractor all the time........and then see if the lift arm assembly will work from both machines. Not sure that is true in the first place! Do you have the hydraulics set up all ready for the loader ??
Well, first off, my dealer delivered my tractor without the side hydraulics by mistake. Already sold my JD so I needed a mower and kept the one they delivered. The side hydraulics and control system are on order and will be installed when they come in no charge.

I asked about ordering an extra sub frame for a LA243 so I can borrow the other lift if needed. I have a trailer that i can load the FEL into and haul if needed. It could actually haul the complete tractor if needed but I would only do that if absolutely necessary. We both need our tractors to handle small farm work. Thats why I am looking for my own FEL. After the problem with the wrong tractor being delivered I don't have much trust in the dealer I purchased from but his price was the lowest (maybe not a good choice). He is the one that said the LA243 won't work on my BX1870. Other posts I have read on different sites state the only difference is the front bucket size. That is why I asked the question on here. I measured our 2 tractors and the body is the same. His has slightly bigger tires ONLY and of course more HP. I owned a JD for 20 years and this Kubota is all new to me so its learning everything all over again. probably a tiller and snow blower in the works for later.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Well, first off, my dealer delivered my tractor without the side hydraulics by mistake. Already sold my JD so I needed a mower and kept the one they delivered. The side hydraulics and control system are on order and will be installed when they come in no charge.

I asked about ordering an extra sub frame for a LA243 so I can borrow the other lift if needed. I have a trailer that i can load the FEL into and haul if needed. It could actually haul the complete tractor if needed but I would only do that if absolutely necessary. We both need our tractors to handle small farm work. Thats why I am looking for my own FEL. After the problem with the wrong tractor being delivered I don't have much trust in the dealer I purchased from but his price was the lowest (maybe not a good choice). He is the one that said the LA243 won't work on my BX1870. Other posts I have read on different sites state the only difference is the front bucket size. That is why I asked the question on here. I measured our 2 tractors and the body is the same. His has slightly bigger tires ONLY and of course more HP. I owned a JD for 20 years and this Kubota is all new to me so its learning everything all over again. probably a tiller and snow blower in the works for later.
Even if the LA243 bucket will fit your BX1870, the bigger bucket means more weight. That would reduce the amount of weight that you could lift in the bucket. Also, if that LA243 extends out farther than the LA203 does, that would also reduce the amount of weight that you could load in the LA243 bucket with the BX1870. There is at least one other consideration and that is that if you try to load too much weight in the LA243 you run a risk of lifting the BX1870 back tires off the ground.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Even if the LA243 bucket will fit your BX1870, the bigger bucket means more weight. That would reduce the amount of weight that you could lift in the bucket. Also, if that LA243 extends out farther than the LA203 does, that would also reduce the amount of weight that you could load in the LA243 bucket with the BX1870. There is at least one other consideration and that is that if you try to load too much weight in the LA243 you run a risk of lifting the BX1870 back tires off the ground.
He would still be able to lift the full load of the 243 (which is another 110lbs) when bolted up to his 1870. The larger bucket is taken into concideration when the lifting capacities are rated. Believe it or not the 203 has a slightly longer reach than the 243 so that's a non issue. The 1870 has the same hydro system as the 2370 so the loader has no idea it's on a smaller machine.

The only issue would be the safe operation of a 243 on a 1870 but there's only a 70lb difference between the two machines so even that won't make much of a difference.