FEL hydraulic issues

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
I was using my L4400 today to move some dirt to enlarge a small pond. I also had a box blade on the 3 point hitch. After an hour or so, the front end started not responding correctly to the valve. The curl and dump directions were working correctly , but the boom up and down was not working right. It would go up if I combined the curl AND up, meaning if I moved the lever in a 45 degree angle upward. Same thing to lower the boom. I had to move the handle in a 45 degree angle downward. All of this didn’t start until I had been on the tractor for a while. I used the box blade to drag up and down the driveway for at least an hour or so.
I checked the hydro fluid level and it was ok. Does it sound like there is trash getting into the valve somehow. Any ideas?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Start with the simple things.

Assuming there are quick couplers on the loader hoses, with the tractor off first move the FEL lever to all positions. Then uncouple and re connect the quick connects one at a time.

It is possible one quick connect has come partially disconnected.

Do NOT start taking the FEL valve apart.

Dave

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Sounds like a bolt came loose from the joystick lever

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
I was using my L4400 today to move some dirt to enlarge a small pond. I also had a box blade on the 3 point hitch. After an hour or so, the front end started not responding correctly to the valve. The curl and dump directions were working correctly , but the boom up and down was not working right. It would go up if I combined the curl AND up, meaning if I moved the lever in a 45 degree angle upward. Same thing to lower the boom. I had to move the handle in a 45 degree angle downward. All of this didn’t start until I had been on the tractor for a while. I used the box blade to drag up and down the driveway for at least an hour or so.
I checked the hydro fluid level and it was ok. Does it sound like there is trash getting into the valve somehow. Any ideas?

Ok, I figured it out. When I raise box blade to the highest point, it severely limits power to raise the boom. When I lowered it by 1/3, i regained full power to raise the boom. I guess the pump can only do so much.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Your 3 pt feedback rod is out of adjustment. To adjust it, lengthen the rod by unscrewing the jam nuts on either side of the bracket mounted to the LH side of the rock shaft. With nothing on the 3pt, raise it to Max UP. Try to raise your lift arm by hand until it stops. You will have to adjust the rod longer or shorter as you check it.

When correctly adjusted, you should be able to lift the 3pt lift arm approx 3/4" higher than the hydraulics lifts it. Yours is still trying to raise the arms after the rock shaft linkage under the 3pt cover has contacted the housing causing it to blow the relief valve.

You can periodically check this adjustment when changing implements by raising the 3pt all the way up and by hand lift up on the arm. If you can raise it more, your good. It's like a clutch pedal, needs some free play.