(feeler post) 2021 Kubota L3301 with BH77 backhoe and lots of options located NC

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Hi all,

This is a feeler post to gauge interest. Located in NC (north of Durham) or south central VA.

I got this Kubota L3301 Nov 2021 and since then put about 150 hours on it (~3 months of usage). The tractor has been great, however I've been itching for something bigger as I'm starting to feel I bought too small for the work I plan to do. Considering upgrading to L47 TLB or MX.

Options:
- Like-new condition. Garage/carport stored when not in use. No dings, scratches, or damage. I only washed it one time as I like to avoid water on my equipment.
- HST and 4WD...33 engine HP and 26 PTO HP. When doing work, it's normally traction/weight and not HP limited.
- R4 tires (rears filled by dealer) almost brand new as it doesn't go on pavement - 600 value
- Front Land Pride Third function kit with 1/2 inch pioneer connectors (dealer installed) - 750 value
- 2 rear remotes (1 detent and 1 float, both dealer installed and OEM parts) and 1/2 inch pioneer connectors - 1500 value
- LA525 loader with quick attach. Can safely and easily move around +-1000 LB with bucket or pallet forms, but get up to 2000 LB off ground. It comes off the tractor, but I never tried or did that. Dealer ensured hydraulic pressure is 'not low' and adjusted it up - 5000 value
- Construction attachments tooth bar on 66 inch factory bucket (custom chain hooks from zooks welding on the bucket as well) - 550 value
- BH77 backhoe, factory subframe, 16 inch OEM Kubota bucket with teeth - 8500 value
- Backhoe mechanical thumb (Bxpanded) - 400 value
- Bxpanded backhoe quick attach bracket, ripper blade, 6 inch trencher bucket, and tow hitch attachment - 2000 value
- Telescoping 3 point hitch with telescoping bars and pats quick attach installed - 150 value
- Hydraulic top link (haven't installed as backhoe as been on since) - 300 value
- Thick rubber floor mats (custom made from a member here) - 100 value
- ROPs mounted (using magnets) surround LED lights (2x front, 1x left front, 1x right front, 1x left, 1x right, 2x back each side...uses factory work light connector and slightly under recommended amps - 300 value
- LED bulbs in headlights (good if you go on roads as they are DOT legal, but the ROPS LED 'outshine them' greatly) - 25 value
- Orange tool box ubolt mounted on right front loader upright (similar size to stock grey one, but it's metal) - 60 value
- Custom sawhaul from Zooks Welding on left loader upright - 150 value
- Custom bracket from Lown Performance to make diff lock easer to press - 25 value
- Custom front guard from Lown Performance (I haven't installed it yet...been waiting for him to weld it some months ago and only recently he finally let me know my order was next) - 500 value
- 2x 3.5 inch rear wheel spacers on order (going to arrive soon after waiting 2.5 months)

I changed all fluids and filters at 50 hrs. I run it a tick under WOT all the time. One 5 gallon tank of diesel lets you work all day (~6-8 hrs). The fuel tank is capable of ~10 gallons, but at 6, the gauge reads full. I greased the loader and backhoe periodically (went through 7 tubes since I got it).

The only complaint I have is the HST can be whiney, but that is normal for this series of tractor. It is greatly reduced by running at WOT and even better a tick under WOT. Other than that, after I got good with backhoe (BH77 is GREAT), I want more speed and power. I want more weight and capability for loader work.

I went to Kubota's website and built a new similar L3302 and came up with ~40k price (no sales tax, delivery, assembly, or insurance fees). I did a search and found almost no L3301/L3901 used with backhoe, so not sure what they go for.

Please send me offers if interested. Based on all the extra stuff I put into it, ideally want around 40k, however flexible.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Even more pics

I have the L48 TLB.
The older brother of the L47 TLB.
I think it likely that you will find there is no comparison of an L47 TLB to your current L3301!
A huge upgrade!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
List it on craigslist and hope for the best.
It's going to be tough at that price point, as most will need to finance it, and dealers will offer 0%.

Have you asked the dealer what they would give you for it?

Last edited:

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Yea not the best spot to be in to want to sell equipment recently bought. Might end up just keeping for now.

I did surprisingly find an L47 at dealer and they gave me a trade offer. Of course it’s low (low 30’s) as they’ll want to profit from reselling it. And of course they want every penny of MSRP.

Looking around, 36-38k is a fair price (upper end on mine due to more options). There’s literally none available or for sale with a backhoe atm.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Yea not the best spot to be in to want to sell equipment recently bought. Might end up just keeping for now.

I did surprisingly find an L47 at dealer and they gave me a trade offer. Of course it’s low (low 30’s) as they’ll want to profit from reselling it. And of course they want every penny of MSRP.

Looking around, 36-38k is a fair price (upper end on mine due to more options). There’s literally none available or for sale with a backhoe atm.
Sell the backhoe separately and trade in the tractor or sell private party. Could get $5-6k for the BH off of the tractor (maybe a little more).

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I would recommend, regardless of whether you sell privately or trade it in, that you strip anything off that you can hat doesn’t require modification to the tractor to remove and sell them separately while lowering the price accordingly if you want to maximize your return. Everyone will have different needs and the extra goodies and expense may scare off some buyers.

I had a BX that I sold prior to my B2601 which had a few valuable add ons, but only to the right buyer (hydraulic top link and telescoping stabilizers). I removed them, lowered the price by $500, sold the tractor in a week, and made most of that back by selling them separately.

Items like the BXPanded goodies for the BH would probably sell pretty quickly and at near the cost to what you paid for them.

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
there’s even a person on here looking for a BH77. I would part that out as well. The lower you get the cost for the machine the better chance you have of maximizing your dollar.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I do not think you are too far off on your price. As a point of reference, I just got a quote on a L3302 with a third function and two sets of rear remotes. $29,467. (no backhoe)
Was watching an auction on line yesterday, located in Pa. They had three low hour L3301s that went in the low $20s. They had some backhoe units but I did not watch them sell.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
A little bit of patience may be your best friend. Have you considered on line auction sites? Maybe also shop dealers a bit. Might be worth a little further drive if they are will to drop a price some if you are trading in…some dealers do very well with trades and if it has the stuff people want that could be worth something to the right dealer. You can always take the online build price and see what a dealer would knock off the new price and f you trade in?

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Don't think I want to mess with removing the backhoe subframe. Plus the backhoe is what makes the tractor more desirable as there's literally none out there for sale with it. There's many L3301/L3901 without backhoe as this is Kubota's best seller.

I know some folks ignore L3301 and focus on the L3901 because they 'want the best tractor in the series.' It's a bit deceiving on Kubota's part because L3301 has 33 HP, but L3901 has 37 (only +4HP, or less than 15% more, but the name has you thinking its 39 HP). They use the exact same engine and everything about the tractor is exactly the same other than the engine tuning. When using the tractor for ground engagement work, you aren't HP limited, but traction/weight limited. When running the loader/backhoe at WOT on both, they have the same hydraulic flow and capability. A case for L3901 is more PTO HP, but I run a 5 inch wood chipper and the tractor handles it just fine, so don't think it needs more. Even with a little more HP, the tractor doesn't step in a larger implement category...they both are rated for the same implements and even with a bit more PTO HP, it isn't significant different or even noticeable if you put them side by side. So end of the day, I think L3301 does everything just as well and saves you more fuel (plus the extra 3-4k extra dealers charge for L3901).

Since I posted the original pics, I finally received the hood guard and installed it so adding the pics.

There was a batch of L47's that Kubota sent to dealers in the area (NC/VA with 2hr distance from me) in March, late Feb. Unfortunately, they have now all sold... I missed out on 3 of them in the last 1-2 weeks. The dealer had it in stock and I was chatting with them, but before I could do anything, someone else bought it (aka 'guy came in this morning and got approved for financing'). ...

So at this time, I'm stuck with my L3301. That's okay though... I'm relatively happy with it honestly as it does (for the most part) get the job done. I just want something bigger for get stuff done faster. I never thought I'd say that, thinking that I'd buy a smaller tractor and would be okay with taking my time with it, but when you got many projects and see the pace, it changes your thinking.

I posted the tractor here:

I'm going with 38k atm. There's been some interest, however they are far away. 36k is lowest I'd go. Brand new similar tractor would be 41k (before any fees...+2-4k tax, dealer fees, insurance, etc...you'd be around 50k financing) with arguably less options. Plus I know mine isn't a lemon...literally no problems and runs like a clock...my folks are actually telling I should keep it for that reason alone as if you get a lemon now-a-days, it's a nightmare to get parts and deal with it.

Definitely something to be said about L series rock solid overbuilt, simple design and leading in reliably. The fancier L47/ grand Ls have much more electronics. I discovered that the forward/reverse peddle on L47 is actually digital/ drive by wire...there is a delay when you press the peddle and you can adjust the sensitivity in the dash. Also there's a lot more computer stuff going on in the hydraulics/PTO/throttle etc. Not a fan...and have doubts on the reliability of all that stuff.

Another idea I had is to get an MX with backhoe. It's also got the loader lifting power of L47, though I rather have the L47 size to power ratio.

What I discovered is that apparently the TLBs are classified as 'construction equipment' and insurance is MUCH higher, whereas the other tractors are classified as 'ag equipment.' The L47 LTB I was looking at was coming in about 2x the cost of what I have. Though the loader/backhoe lift and digging force is 2x, the weight, HP, and overall capability of 'getting the job done' of the tractor probably isn't. Kind of makes me appreciate what I already have. Also the backhoe with hydraulic thumb on a L47 LB alone is 25k...approaching idea of why not get a more capable Kubota KX71 mini excavator for 40k alongside a cheaper tractor.

If anyone interested, feel free to reach out, otherwise I'm in a holding pattern atm. I'll be continuing to use the tractor and get hours on it.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don't think I want to mess with removing the backhoe subframe. Plus the backhoe is what makes the tractor more desirable as there's literally none out there for sale with it. There's many L3301/L3901 without backhoe as this is Kubota's best seller.

I know some folks ignore L3301 and focus on the L3901 because they 'want the best tractor in the series.' It's a bit deceiving on Kubota's part because L3301 has 33 HP, but L3901 has 37 (only +4HP, or less than 15% more, but the name has you thinking its 39 HP). They use the exact same engine and everything about the tractor is exactly the same other than the engine tuning. When using the tractor for ground engagement work, you aren't HP limited, but traction/weight limited. When running the loader/backhoe at WOT on both, they have the same hydraulic flow and capability. A case for L3901 is more PTO HP, but I run a 5 inch wood chipper and the tractor handles it just fine, so don't think it needs more. Even with a little more HP, the tractor doesn't step in a larger implement category...they both are rated for the same implements and even with a bit more PTO HP, it isn't significant different or even noticeable if you put them side by side. So end of the day, I think L3301 does everything just as well and saves you more fuel (plus the extra 3-4k extra dealers charge for L3901).

Since I posted the original pics, I finally received the hood guard and installed it so adding the pics.

There was a batch of L47's that Kubota sent to dealers in the area (NC/VA with 2hr distance from me) in March, late Feb. Unfortunately, they have now all sold... I missed out on 3 of them in the last 1-2 weeks. The dealer had it in stock and I was chatting with them, but before I could do anything, someone else bought it (aka 'guy came in this morning and got approved for financing'). ...

So at this time, I'm stuck with my L3301. That's okay though... I'm relatively happy with it honestly as it does (for the most part) get the job done. I just want something bigger for get stuff done faster. I never thought I'd say that, thinking that I'd buy a smaller tractor and would be okay with taking my time with it, but when you got many projects and see the pace, it changes your thinking.

I posted the tractor here:

I'm going with 38k atm. There's been some interest, however they are far away. 36k is lowest I'd go. Brand new similar tractor would be 41k (before any fees...+2-4k tax, dealer fees, insurance, etc...you'd be around 50k financing) with arguably less options. Plus I know mine isn't a lemon...literally no problems and runs like a clock...my folks are actually telling I should keep it for that reason alone as if you get a lemon now-a-days, it's a nightmare to get parts and deal with it.

Definitely something to be said about L series rock solid overbuilt, simple design and leading in reliably. The fancier L47/ grand Ls have much more electronics. I discovered that the forward/reverse peddle on L47 is actually digital/ drive by wire...there is a delay when you press the peddle and you can adjust the sensitivity in the dash. Also there's a lot more computer stuff going on in the hydraulics/PTO/throttle etc. Not a fan...and have doubts on the reliability of all that stuff.

Another idea I had is to get an MX with backhoe. It's also got the loader lifting power of L47, though I rather have the L47 size to power ratio.

What I discovered is that apparently the TLBs are classified as 'construction equipment' and insurance is MUCH higher, whereas the other tractors are classified as 'ag equipment.' The L47 LTB I was looking at was coming in about 2x the cost of what I have. Though the loader/backhoe lift and digging force is 2x, the weight, HP, and overall capability of 'getting the job done' of the tractor probably isn't. Kind of makes me appreciate what I already have. Also the backhoe with hydraulic thumb on a L47 LB alone is 25k...approaching idea of why not get a more capable Kubota KX71 mini excavator for 40k alongside a cheaper tractor.

If anyone interested, feel free to reach out, otherwise I'm in a holding pattern atm. I'll be continuing to use the tractor and get hours on it.
WOW!
$25K for just the BH with hydraulic thumb,.... for an L47?
Really?

I love my 2006 - 250+ hour L48 TLB with hydraulic thumb, and excavator type bucket quick connect.
The L48 has no pollution junk, and digs one foot deeper too!

That 25K hoe only price, with hyd thumb, just can't be correct!

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
WOW!
$25K for just the BH with hydraulic thumb,.... for an L47?
Really?

I love my 2006 - 250+ hour L48 TLB with hydraulic thumb, and excavator type bucket quick connect.
The L48 has no pollution junk, and digs one foot deeper too!

That 25K hoe only price, with hyd thumb, just can't be correct!
Sorry I'm wrong. I went back and checked (dealer quotes) and it's 21k (not 25k) just for:
- BT1000V backhoe
- Quick attach
-24 inch quick attach bucket
- Hydraulic thumb
- Rubber stabilizer pads

Yea it's nuts... I think they are over charging because people are paying. One dealer let it 'slip' that invoice was less than 60k on 70k MSRP L47.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry I'm wrong. I went back and checked (dealer quotes) and it's 21k (not 25k) just for:
- BT1000V backhoe
- Quick attach
-24 inch quick attach bucket
- Hydraulic thumb
- Rubber stabilizer pads

Yea it's nuts... I think they are over charging because people are paying. One dealer let it 'slip' that invoice was less than 60k on 70k MSRP L47.
Makes me feel very fortunate that just 33 months ago I paid only 32K for my original owner 250 hour 2006 L48 TLB .

BT1100 backhoe
3rd function.
Quick attach loader bucket
24" hoe bucket quick attach
Hydraulic. thumb
Loader bucket/forks hyd. latching system (no dismount required).
3 rear remotes.

Oh....I do not have the stabilizer rubber street pads!

Last edited:

XSpecBx

Equipment
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
If you’re not in a rush, you may eventually get your price, but it may take a while to get it. With 0% interest rates, most people will happily pay more in lieu of laying out $38k in cash, assuming there are many buyers to begin with at the price point your at. As I said in my previous post, I recently upgraded from a BX1880 to a B2601. I could have paid cash on it, but with 0% at 5 years, and no considerable cash savings, new or used, financing on a new machine is better and let’s me keep the money elsewhere.

i agree to the right buyer, the BH makes it more desirable, but it will put the machine out of reach for most.

As an alternate approach, listing it without the BH, and not selling the BH until the machine is gone, will give you a middle ground. You can even mention that you have the BH and provide a price to add it on to the total if the buyer wants it.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Thanks for the idea... list it without backhoe and sell that later.

I'm actually getting a decent number of people emailing me with interest as per the equipment trader ad so I'll see.

Looks like Kubota recently increased prices again. I priced up a similar new machine at 43.5k not including tax +3k or 46.5k then with financing you must pay for insurance at about 75 per month so with 60 month terms that is 4.5k, making the total price over 50k then + dealer fees...

So basically if you want to buy you'd choose:

- New: 833 per month, immediately losing 3k tax paid + X depreciation (maybe 2-5k)
- Used: 38,000 cash, saving 12k after 5 years, plus ability to resell without losing much

IMO if someone can pay 30k cash, they likely can 38k as well.

Like you said, it depends on the buyer. I personally am able to if I wanted to pay 40k+ cash, though it wouldn't be 'comfortable' at this time. After some years (maybe even next year), maybe it would. For someone else (for example, an older retired person), the situation is different.

I've sold my 2017 porsche 911 for 93k and guy did a wiretransfer. I didn't think anyone was capable of that...

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the idea... list it without backhoe and sell that later.

I'm actually getting a decent number of people emailing me with interest as per the equipment trader ad so I'll see.

Looks like Kubota recently increased prices again. I priced up a similar new machine at 43.5k not including tax +3k or 46.5k then with financing you must pay for insurance at about 75 per month so with 60 month terms that is 4.5k, making the total price over 50k then + dealer fees...

So basically if you want to buy you'd choose:

- New: 833 per month, immediately losing 3k tax paid + X depreciation (maybe 2-5k)
- 38,000 cash saving 12k after 5 years, plus ability to resell without losing much

IMO if someone can pay 30k cash, they likely can 38k as well.

Like you said, it depends on the buyer. I personally am able to if I wanted to pay 40k+ cash, though it wouldn't be 'comfortable' at this time. After some years (maybe even next year), maybe it would. For someone else (for example, an older retired person), the situation is different.

I've sold my 2017 porsche for 93k and guy did a wiretransfer. I didn't think anyone was capable of that...
Please keep us up to date on this.
It is always interesting to be up to speed on how well private sale tractors are holding their prices.

GrappleDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
New Kubota L2501
Mar 19, 2022
jackson NY
Good luck on your sale, if your area is anything like ours dealers are just now starting to get a few tractors in. You'd be surprised at how many people can come up with the cash when it's something they want at a price they feel is reasonable.