Feed Me Seymour !

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
That is a pretty broad broadcast spreader! What are you feeding? Looks like regular grass...

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
That is a pretty broad broadcast spreader! What are you feeding? Looks like regular grass...
That is 21-7-7. The stubble is rye grass that was just baled. Feeding coastal bermuda coming out finally.

My neighbor is gonna run his big AerWay over it saturday morning if the weather holds up.

Once things get moving good gonna hit it all with some GrazonNext laced with Pastora.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I don't want to start a big fight, but check out gen-till II. Their design doesn't need all the weight you are pulling. I have one, so I know of what I speak. I use my 7' model on pastures and waterways, that I make hay on. I was going to buy a aerway, but happened to see the video, comparing the 2 and am happy to say it was cheaper, too...:D

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
I don't want to start a big fight, but check out gen-till II. Their design doesn't need all the weight you are pulling. I have one, so I know of what I speak. I use my 7' model on pastures and waterways, that I make hay on. I was going to buy a aerway, but happened to see the video, comparing the 2 and am happy to say it was cheaper, too...:D
No fight from me, I love hearing about different tools. Will look into that Gen-Till-II, thanks.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
No fight from me, I love hearing about different tools. Will look into that Gen-Till-II, thanks.
Here is a picture from their home page. I mistakenly said it was 7', actually 5.5 feet wide. I modified mine, by adding an old seeder box I had laying around. I am getting 4-1/2" to 5" penetration, with no weights, pulling it with an old Allis D-12 (around 35 HP) tractor, and no weights, other than the seeder. On the bigger units, you can angle the tines, like you do with a disc harrow, for more of a shattering effect...

Here's the link: http://www.genesistillage.com/gentill-machinery/aerators/gentill-3pt-units/

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I'm not sure those items are comparable. Weight needed is a function of ground conditions/types and the penetration volume/depth.

The Gen-Till units seem to be lighter penetrators without additional weight, not as great of an air cavity created. Which might be entirely fine for the crops you are growing. The Aerway might work better for you if your soil conditions warrant it. The additional weight needed is necessary to push further into the soil and create the larger air cavities. Of course, your crops might not need that kind of aeration.