Fall Foliage

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Anyone here from the New England states can give me a report on the fall foliage? Leaving Sunday to head up that way for vacation but can’t seem to find any reports online this year for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
According to friends that live in the area, it's been warmer then normal. Leaves have been just turning brown and falling off the trees. Color hasn't been as good or dramatic so far. That's what I've been told anyway.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
According to friends that live in the area, it's been warmer then normal. Leaves have been just turning brown and falling off the trees. Color hasn't been as good or dramatic so far. That's what I've been told anyway.

If I want to watch them turn brown and fall off I could just stay home lol. Thanks for the update brother, we are going regardless but hope it gets better over the next 2 weeks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Pray for cold weather, it will help :D Actually seeing a little color around here the other day. Seen some maples on the side of the interstate turning red, and some yellows. My house, they just turn brown and fall :rolleyes:

New England is a good choice for vacation whether you see foliage or not. It's still pretty. Even during mud season :p

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Yes it is a great vacation destination. Spent some time out there last summer on our way to Canada. Plan to hit Niagara Falls for a day or so also while we are in the area since we have never been there yet. It will be a fun relaxing trip either way. Been through your part of the country a few times also. Have some beautiful scenery there too.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Typically peak leaf color here in mid Michigan, about the same latitude, is 1st week in October, but it has been so hot and dry, record 5 day heat wave last week in the 90s, so leaves turning brown and falling off. However frost is in the forecast for tonight so that might get some color started.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have anybody had a good crop of hickory nuts this year?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Hickory nuts here in NC on the ridge behind my house plentiful.

I like to use the hickory wood for smoking my deer jerkey.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Typically peak leaf color here in mid Michigan, about the same latitude, is 1st week in October, but it has been so hot and dry, record 5 day heat wave last week in the 90s, so leaves turning brown and falling off. However frost is in the forecast for tonight so that might get some color started.

Thanks Mary, I’m sure we will find some color somewhere during our time there.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Been through your part of the country a few times also. Have some beautiful scenery there too.

Ahh, but I've actually spent and lived more time in New England ;) 20 Years living in vermont :D

I've taken my wife up there a couple times. Spend more time driving her around so she can check out the scenery. She's absolutely enthralled with all the water falls and the clean clear rivers in the mountains. She's also developed an infatuation with ski lifts :D:D

On the last trip up, she got to ride a ski lift in Stowe. As well as experiencing an Alpine slide :D That blew her mind when I told her what we were gonna do, until I pulled up a video :D

https://youtu.be/s8Q1VhX4ZpE

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Man thats a cool video. I have the same job as you did, driver her around to look at scenery, waterfalls and covered bridges, but I can’t lie as I love it also. I like to photograph the scenery so I stop a lot to set up my camera and try to get some good shots. We are staying in Stowe a couple nights also. I would do the alpine slide but no way she will.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Man thats a cool video. I have the same job as you did, driver her around to look at scenery, waterfalls and covered bridges, but I can***8217;t lie as I love it also. I like to photograph the scenery so I stop a lot to set up my camera and try to get some good shots. We are staying in Stowe a couple nights also. I would do the alpine slide but no way she will.

Well worth the run down the mountain. Make sure you have a good strap for your camera. You can get some pretty good photos off the ski lift.

Route 125 from east Middlebury to Hancock will take you by Texas Falls. That's a gorgeous set of falls. Also have the Robert Frost trail for hiking just east of the town of Ripton. It's a small hiking trail with good scenic views along with Robert Frost poetry thrown in. In East Middlebury, just before starting up the mountain on 125, there's a pull off just before and after the bridge. There's a nice photo op under the bridge.

That area is also my old stomping grounds and lived there for 17 years :D

Just north of Hancock Vermont, on route 100 there is some water falls in an area called Granville gulf. Water falls are about 70 plus feet tall and on the edge of the road. There's a parking area and wooden walkway so you can get up close. Watch out for moose going through Granville Gulf. :)

Also the otter Creek falls in Middlebury, and also in Vergennes are really cool as well. If you happen to go to Middlebury, check out Two Brother Tavern. They have the best cheese steak sandwiches and burgers in town :D There's also a covered bridge off from exchange street that's really cool as well.

Since your gonna be in Stowe, they have the Cabot Cheese factory store. Great cheese and a room full of samples. Or at least they did as of 4 years ago :rolleyes: There was a mom and pop Hot Dog shop attached to the same building that has some really good hot dogs for lunch. Also a factory tour of Ben and Jerry's ice cream plant is a fun option. During the week is better since you can actually look down on the production floor.

If you like micro brew beers. Try Magic Hat #9, as well as a sampler from Otter Creek Brewery. I could keep going, but already got a good tourist book going :p

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Man thanks for the tips, I will write down everything you sent so I have a reference when in each area. Feel free to add more as you think of them, probably wont have time to do it all but there is no better intel than from a local.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Man thanks for the tips, I will write down everything you sent so I have a reference when in each area. Feel free to add more as you think of them, probably wont have time to do it all but there is no beter intel than from a local.

Man, I could keep you going from sun up to sun down for 4 days at least. Plus gain at least 20 lbs in that time :p:p Lots of neat unique little shops, great food and plenty to see and do. Stick to the locals for food while your there. You can have the big chain stuff at home. You won't be disappointed. :D

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I learned long ago to try to eat where the locals eat, they know where all the good food is so if you think of any specific places to eat send them to me. Thanks again, been looking forward to this trip for almost a year now.

Last edited:

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
If you get a chance to try a apple cider slushy, try it. It is uniquely delicious! I know they have it at the Red Apple Farm in Phillipston, MA, off of scenic Rte. 2. Rte 2 is beautiful ride from NY going east into MA. Above it is Rte 9, in VT, take that going East to West. Gorgeous roads.

No color here really. A couple of trees have shown some color, but nothing spectacular yet. have heard both it is going to be good and going to be bland this year. I don't know who to believe. I hope you find some brilliant color on your trip. if you get to Vermont, try Grafton Village Cheese. You can buy it right in Grafton, a little quaint village, or they have a place in Burlington I think. The Village is nice to walk around for a bit. If passing by Lake Winnipesaukee, stop into the Kellerhaus in Laconia. They have a neat shop with trinkets, nice gifts, home-made candy and fudge, and an ice cream buffet with make your own sundaes with their own home-made ice cream. The coffee and vanilla flavors are the best I have ever had in my life!

Enjoy your trip.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks Gary, we will be passing through and stopping in most N/E states. I will add your suggestions to the list I started from Daren. Weather its brilliant or bland we will enjoy our trip but I am sure we will find at least a few places with great color.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mary the chestnuts have been falling for a week and the deer get them cleaned up before I can get to them most times. Black wall nuts yup a tom of them from 4 trees, I cant fain anyone that wants them so the chipmunks and tree rats get them. Not one butter nut or hickory nut this year,, well maybe a couple but nothing to talk about

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Mary the chestnuts have been falling for a week and the deer get them cleaned up before I can get to them most times. Black wall nuts yup a tom of them from 4 trees, I cant fain anyone that wants them so the chipmunks and tree rats get them. Not one butter nut or hickory nut this year,, well maybe a couple but nothing to talk about

What do you guys do with hickory nuts? Never found much use for them other than a good squirrel hunt when they are feeding on them. I do use hickory wood in my smoke house though.