Factory Cab or Aftermarket. $ vs Utility

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Another potential option is to buy a tractor without a cab, and then figure out some other option for the driveway snow removal in the winter. Do you have a truck or SUV? Could you buy a plow? The cab + snow blower probably adds a minimum of 10k+ to your tractor package (plus limits what models you can buy).

Another option - sort of going against what we've all said (Factory cab) is if budget is a real constraint, look at the LX2610 or grand L without a cab, and use a soft cab that you can mount in the winter. It'll keep your center of gravity lower in the woods in the summer, and give you some minimal protection from the elements in the winter. You won't be snowblowing in your underwear, but it might be better than nothing.
Exactly. I have a couple 4x4 trucks and an older Jeep with a top which I can put a snow plow on. Heating and AC built in.
But being in the forest I really need a blower to throw the snow away from the narrow driveway.
I'm considering a blade for the time being and looking into either a PTO attachment for my F250 for a blower, or a self powered blower to mount on my old Jeep.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Going back to your original request, LX or L, you said ground clearance was your main interest. The LX has more ground clearance than the L, can be had with a factory cab, lets you run a front mount snow blower. It does meet all your needs, it just means a bit smaller tractor than the L. It is a great tractor, and you can put a weight box on it to make it heavier. It's not as beefy as the L, but in most situations you'll not notice the difference. Factory cab. Mid PTO. Just saying.

Reactions: 2 users

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
I recently was in a similar buying decision and ended up with an LX2610 with a cab. During the weeks I’m away at work a worry that doesn’t cross my mind is my wife cursing me while moving snow in “the bigger tractor I had to have” but with out a cab.

We’ve gotten a lot done in the last five months with this machine, and honestly I’d be hard pressed to find myself in a larger machine on our property. At least until we possibly build some off grid rentals down the road and I need to do some serious land clearing and snow moving.
62DB17AF-4465-47F9-8505-4E9D2E7DCD77.jpeg
Also, based on what a few locals have told me, I’d still go with a rear mounted pull type blower even with the LX. Keep your loader on for wet heavy snow that isn’t blowing great etc.

Lastly, definitely get 2” spacers not only for stability but so you can get tire chains on and off.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thank You.
I think I'll go with a factory Cab. I'll have to give up my gear drive transmission and go hydro. Spend a lot more money and have to deal with computer control thru a DEF system...

As long as I'm going big, I just as well get a Grand L
Grand L doesnt have DEF.
HP > 75 uses DEF, HP 26 to 75 uses DPF for Kubota machines.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Going back to your original request, LX or L, you said ground clearance was your main interest. The LX has more ground clearance than the L, can be had with a factory cab, lets you run a front mount snow blower. It does meet all your needs, it just means a bit smaller tractor than the L. It is a great tractor, and you can put a weight box on it to make it heavier. It's not as beefy as the L, but in most situations you'll not notice the difference. Factory cab. Mid PTO. Just saying.
I wasn't aware that the LX has more ground clearance. Thank you.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
We'll, I appreciate everyone's responses.

I now think an LX is probably the most frugal factory Cab option. The LX2610 seems to be a tractor that will serve my needs.

Unless I can find a used Grand L or M with cab that's in good shape at a good price, it's looking like I'll go for an LX2610.

I'll be talking to dealers the next few months and go from there. It appears that inventory is low these days, and it may be the middle of next year before I can join the Orange club again.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

And to chim, great job on your homebuilt cab. Nicely done.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We'll, I appreciate everyone's responses.

I now think an LX is probably the most frugal factory Cab option. The LX2610 seems to be a tractor that will serve my needs.

Unless I can find a used Grand L or M with cab that's in good shape at a good price, it's looking like I'll go for an LX2610.

I'll be talking to dealers the next few months and go from there. It appears that inventory is low these days, and it may be the middle of next year before I can join the Orange club again.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

And to chim, great job on your homebuilt cab. Nicely done.
If you can find a used GL that is older than 2013 it might not have TierIV (the DPF and emissions stuff) on it. Very hard to find, you need to be very quick to evaluate and purchase…I mean hours not days.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

Buy what you want of course, but the LX with cab especially with “more” ground clearance “1 inch” is going to be more tippy than the other cab model choices.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Buy what you want of course, but the LX with cab especially with “more” ground clearance “1 inch” is going to be more tippy than the other cab model choices.
Yep, I've got quite a bit of experience with tippy tractors. Never rolled one by God's Grace, but had to drop the bucket to the ground a few times in my life to avoid a catastrophe. My original experience with that was on a B7100 circa 1976. And back then they didn't have ROPS! I was just a teenager and my folks had steep terrain on their property. I learned to keep that loader bucket just scraping the ground in off camber situations.

And I'm a Jeep guy that used to do many runs with Jeep clubs over the years. If nothing else I'm learned' on steep angles, ground clearance, and gravity.

Thank you for the advice. One can never drop their guard when working on slopes.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
We'll, after carefully considering the options, I think we'll be ordering a L4701 or MX5400 in a short time. The cab issue WAS a primary concern initially but I have other options. Which include a snow blower on one of our 4x4 street legal vehicles.

As for the cab, the change in center of gravity with a 500 lb up high is an issue. Not so much with me as an operator, but with my wife and family members as operators.

In addition, my property is mostly forest with low hanging trees in some places. A cab is a convenience, but a liability.

Honestly, And I presume this is most of us; a small tractor is a luxury or hobby item. Unless your salary or income depends on harvesting acres or making serious money for the household, it's a time saving 'toy'.

I say that not as a antagonist, but one who questions my own overall intent and need.

I appreciate the love of the machine (orange or otherwise) and it's capabilities.

But I'm going to go for it when I can wisely afford this hobby.

And, God willing, go big.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Awesome! Have you found any inventory or you’re gonna be ordering and waiting?
As for inventory, I've found a few L4701's. MX5400, not so much. But I know full well that if I actually go to a Kubota dealer I WILL buy one. Pretty much that very day.

So, I stay away until the timing is right.

I've realized that my priorities were leaning towards want of a Kubota, not need.

My priority number 1 for the property is building a pole barn. I've got a few toys and need to house them before winter 2022-2023.

So no matter how much I yearn for a orange tractor, things take time. If I did what I wanted, I'd order or take delivery of a L4701 as soon as possible. In fact my wife expected me to buy a Kubota last month. Lol.

But it would sit under a tarp in the snow.... I don't want that.

We are transitioning from one home to the other. My ATVs and such are always stored in a garage. Our new Kubota will share that fact.

Barn first, Kubota after. But I'll keep you all posted when I bring her home!

Last edited:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Your brand new Kubota is sitting out in the elements right now waiting for you. Might as well be sitting outside at your house!

Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How can you build a pole barn without a Kubota? What will lift the poles into the holes? What will lift the rafters onto the poles? What will lift the tin onto the rafters?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, I'm shopping at Menards today, and ended up buying a Kubota.

I'm going to shelve it for awhile.

Enjoy.
KIMG0295.JPG
KIMG0294.JPG

• Haha

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT