Factory Cab or Aftermarket. $ vs Utility

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm new here, but not new to Kubota. I'll try to be brief. I've owned or operated several smallish tractors. Kubota B7100, a Massey skip loader and a construction JD backhoe / loader.

I just bought over 40 acres in a Northern USA state. My driveway is 1/2 of a mile long.

I want to keep my new tractor purchase below 27 HP for the emissions issues.

Anyway, I'm steering towards an LX2610 with factory Cab, or an L2501. But I like the bigger frame and weight on the L2501. And again I like the factory Cab on the LX2610. My property is mostly hilly forest and tractor size is not an issue. I want ground clearance. I could fit a M series on this property.

Finally, my questions are; Are aftermarket Cabs a viable option for my potential L2501 purchase?... Instead of the factory Cab on the 2610?

I know that the LX2610 has more refined and comfortable amenities. But I'm a fan of KISS.. (Keep it simple stupid.) I'd prefer gear transmission over hydro because of my past experiences.

I plan to purchase a front snow blower if I go LX2610 because it has Mid PTO. Or a rear 3 point- forward pull type snow blower if I go with the L2501.

Thank you for your time and comments.

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
No question that you will be happier with a factory cab. Most aftermarket cabs only have heat and no A/C although I have seen a self contained A/C that is rooftop mounted like an RV unit. If you're going to go through all that hassle you might better get the factory cab and be happier.

Reactions: 2 users

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Another thing to consider 1/2 mile driveway blowing snow looking backwards . No thanks , looking forward no problems. Now you decide what you would prefer to do ..

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a B3200 with a Curtis cab. Does it work yes, but a factory cab with A/C, heat, radio, cleaner less noise is the way to go.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Grand L? Best of all worlds.....well, except for that complexity thing. But the Grand L has been around for a long time and I don't hear people complaining about it breaking.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Grand L? Best of all worlds.....well, except for that complexity thing. But the Grand L has been around for a long time and I don't hear people complaining about it breaking.
Yup, that would be my go to machine if I did it again.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
OP here.. Thank you for your advice and comments. I greatly appreciate them all. Thank you.

I've been thinking about a Grand L. But because of my experience with Ford Super Duties over the years I'm concerned with the Particulate / Regen issue. It's a reliability issue.

And...

I am literally afraid of a computer run system, that turns diesel exhaust into something that is microbial thru the Regen process. Turns the exhaust into something that you might not smell or see. But will seep into your skin because it's refined into microscopic particles. I'm not about the Tier 4 diesel debate, I'm just speaking my mind and keeping it real

If the diesel Regen wasn't an issue, I'd go buy a Grand with the cab. But they are really expensive.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Go with a factory cab and A/C.

I built a cab from scratch for my L3200 not long after I bought it new in 2012. That tractor was bought to get more weight and horses that the B7500 had, and to get it before the Final Tier 4 would cause a 32HP tractor to have a DPF. In my prejudiced opinion, the homebrew cab was very nice:

When my BIL suggested to Wifey that a cab with A/C would be good to help chim avoid the heat, dust and pollen, we started looking for another Pre-Tier 4 with a factory cab. It took about a year - and that was pre-Covid - to find a nice L4240HSTC. Super clean and under 1,000 hours. It still passes for new when cleaned up. The DIY cab was really nice, especially in the Winter months. By picking the doors off and running a small fan, it was more comfortable mowing than a plain open station in the Summer.

Nice thing with the factory cab is not having to mess with anything more than a control knob or two as the weather changes. And when the dust or pollen is bad, I'm not coughing the morning after I mow.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
You mention blowing snow, but what else do you intend to do with this tractor?
I need a brush cutter to keep the trails through the forest clear. And a box scraper to maintain the driveway.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Go with a factory cab and A/C.

I built a cab from scratch for my L3200 not long after I bought it new in 2012. That tractor was bought to get more weight and horses that the B7500 had, and to get it before the Final Tier 4 would cause a 32HP tractor to have a DPF. In my prejudiced opinion, the homebrew cab was very nice:

When my BIL suggested to Wifey that a cab with A/C would be good to help chim avoid the heat, dust and pollen, we started looking for another Pre-Tier 4 with a factory cab. It took about a year - and that was pre-Covid - to find a nice L4240HSTC. Super clean and under 1,000 hours. It still passes for new when cleaned up. The DIY cab was really nice, especially in the Winter months. By picking the doors off and running a small fan, it was more comfortable mowing than a plain open station in the Summer.

Nice thing with the factory cab is not having to mess with anything more than a control knob or two as the weather changes. And when the dust or pollen is bad, I'm not coughing the morning after I mow.
Thank You.
I think I'll go with a factory Cab. I'll have to give up my gear drive transmission and go hydro. Spend a lot more money and have to deal with computer control thru a DEF system...

As long as I'm going big, I just as well get a Grand L

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thank You.
I think I'll go with a factory Cab. I'll have to give up my gear drive transmission and go hydro. Spend a lot more money and have to deal with computer control thru a DEF system...

As long as I'm going big, I just as well get a Grand L
The good news is that with buying new the warranty will negate the computer/complexity/major headache potential for a few years. I have 40 acres and to run a a 6 ft mower you are best with the larger machine. I feel you are making the correct decision. Have fun.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The cab weight definitely raises the center of gravity. My guess is most cabs weigh about the same, so a heavier tractor has more weight to offset the cab. You can look up the weight difference, and what percentage it is. An LX isn’t even close to heavy enough to use on hilly terrain with a cab.

For that reason, I’d go at least MX for hilly terrain with a cab. Other advantages of an MX is they can have wheel weights, and if I remember right, you can also offset even R4 tires. The front tires are also wider and the loader has more capacity than a Grand L. Finally, I think they are cheaper than a Grand L for equivalent HP.

However, the Grand Ls have the HST+ which is cool technology.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The cab weight definitely raises the center of gravity. My guess is most cabs weigh about the same, so a heavier tractor has more weight to offset the cab. You can look up the weight difference, and what percentage it is. An LX isn’t even close to heavy enough to use on hilly terrain with a cab.

For that reason, I’d go at least MX for hilly terrain with a cab. Other advantages of an MX is they can have wheel weights, and if I remember right, you can also offset even R4 tires. The front tires are also wider and the loader has more capacity than a Grand L. Finally, I think they are cheaper than a Grand L for equivalent HP.

However, the Grand Ls have the HST+ which is cool technology.
So, I did the Kubota website 'Build your tractor" feature. And with the lowest HP Grand L with Cab, or M /MX with Cab and snow blower, FEL, etc... it beats up 50 grand and then some more.

I could buy 2 L2501's for that money. One as a dedicated snow blower. One as a FEL and grader, brush cutting machine. Alas... but no cab.

I'm retiring soon. Money is a concern.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Not 2 L2501s with snow blower, FEL, attachments. A bunch of the cost is the cab, snow blower and FEL. They're similar price across all the machines. But yes, an L2501 is quite a bit cheaper (it's an economy tractor) - it's very well priced for how much metal you get. But no cab. You can step down to a LX, which can be had with a cab, and all that equipment. I personally think they're excellent machines. But they're smaller than an L or MX.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I tend to be the think budget guy on this forum. You’re dealing with a lot of tractor hobbyists. Not everyone buying a tractor cares about tractors that much. They just want something that's better than nothing. They aren't worried about the tasks taking a little more creativity to a little extra time because their machines are undersized. You'll find this is common on ANY hobbyist forum (chainsaws, cars/tools, etc).

I recommend watching videos on YouTube of GPOutdoors. It’s amazing how much you can accomplish with a small tractor if you learn how to use it and don’t just expect it to be a bulldozer and brute force everything. He started with a B2601 and then moved up to a cabbed LX2610. My guess is part of his upgrade was because his proceeds from the YouTube channel helped him have additional money to buy a bigger machine.

Buy within your budget. Implements add a lot to the cost of the total package, as you’re finding out. People will tell you to buy the implements over time when you can afford them, but honestly, you have to ask yourself, do I want a 50k tractor package? Doesn’t matter if you spend 50k in 1 day or over 5 years, it’s still 50k.

If it were me and I wanted a cab, I wouldn’t sacrifice the cab to get a bigger tractor without a cab. Especially if I was older and in a cold environment. None of the tasks you listed couldn’t be accomplished by a smaller tractor unless I'm missing something you listed. The only thing to keep in mind is tasks that you need done that simply cannot be done by what you’re buying. For example, if you needed to lift 700lb pallets, and you buy a tractor that can only lift 600lbs. That’s a problem.

The one other thing to think about is you mentioned hilly. I know a cab raises the center of gravity (i.e. making it tippy). You might consider wheel spacers or something. I know GPOutdoors mentioned this when moving to the LX2610 with cab - says it's noticeably more top heavy in the woods. I think someone above mentioned the tractor/cab weight ratio above.

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Another potential option is to buy a tractor without a cab, and then figure out some other option for the driveway snow removal in the winter. Do you have a truck or SUV? Could you buy a plow? The cab + snow blower probably adds a minimum of 10k+ to your tractor package (plus limits what models you can buy).

Another option - sort of going against what we've all said (Factory cab) is if budget is a real constraint, look at the LX2610 or grand L without a cab, and use a soft cab that you can mount in the winter. It'll keep your center of gravity lower in the woods in the summer, and give you some minimal protection from the elements in the winter. You won't be snowblowing in your underwear, but it might be better than nothing.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
You folks all make some great points. I do spend too much time on YouTube, and have been watching GP as well as many others including Neil at Messicks.
My first tractor was in the 70's, a Kubota B7100. I was 15 years old and dad bought it to dig the pool we built in the backyard. He bought that B7100 for the price it would have cost to hire a company to dig the hole. With my dad's help, I started a tractor business. FEL, box scraper, tiller and a disc. I was always busy, not much time for friends, but I was loaded with money in high school. Anyway, Kubota has been in my blood ever since. I'm nearly 60 now and I've finally got a piece of property to justify buying a Kubota. It's going to be a hobby tractor, and yet, fullfil a genuine need. The best part is my wife is all for it, 100 percent. My desire for a cab is mostly based on my wife's comfort.