F2000 overheat (1900hours)

Puzzled

Equipment
1987 F2000 4WD
May 6, 2023
Ohio
The water pump was leaking so I replaced it, radiator cap & thermostat. There were no overheating problems prior to replacing. Now overheating within 5 minutes even with thermostat out. Flushed radiator and block. No water came through line at bottom of pump going to bottom of radiator. Should it during flushing through top line or does the pump need to rotate? Not blowing white smoke.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Test thermostat?

It sounds like no water is being moved around at all to get hot that fast.

I think some thermostats have a bypass somewhere in them and others don’t so is it the correct thermostat for your tractor? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

Puzzled

Equipment
1987 F2000 4WD
May 6, 2023
Ohio
Test thermostat?

It sounds like no water is being moved around at all to get hot that fast.

I think some thermostats have a bypass somewhere in them and others don’t so is it the correct thermostat for your tractor? Is it OEM or aftermarket?
I Removed new OEM thermostat and same results.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you seeing flow through the radiator (with the thermostat out)? Sorry I missed your statement about the thermostat in your original post!

I have no clue about the flow pattern but would assume that hose you describe is a bypass and should have flow through it when the engine is cold and thermostat is in closed position. No idea about flushing it and flow pattern.

If it is not too much work you could put the old pump on and see what happens or replace it with another new one?

And exactly how d you know it is hot, gauge or steam? Is gauge working properly or giving you bad information?

I’m out of ideas to try now…

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fill the radiator to the top and look for bubbles.
It is super common for those engines to crack the head when they overheat, and the outcome is very rarely smoking exhaust.

Puzzled

Equipment
1987 F2000 4WD
May 6, 2023
Ohio
Are you seeing flow through the radiator (with the thermostat out)? Sorry I missed your statement about the thermostat in your original post!

I have no clue about the flow pattern but would assume that hose you describe is a bypass and should have flow through it when the engine is cold and thermostat is in closed position. No idea about flushing it and flow pattern.

If it is not too much work you could put the old pump on and see what happens or replace it with another new one?

And exactly how d you know it is hot, gauge or steam? Is gauge working properly or giving you bad information?

I’m out of ideas to try now…
Thanks for responding. I have already put the old pump back on with same results. It’s steaming

Puzzled

Equipment
1987 F2000 4WD
May 6, 2023
Ohio
Fill the radiator to the top and look for bubbles.
It is super common for those engines to crack the head when they overheat, and the outcome is very rarely smoking exhaust.
I will try that but haven’t noticed bubbles when I have filled it several times and tried running it. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will try that but haven’t noticed bubbles when I have filled it several times and tried running it. Thanks
Do you have the thermostat back in? If not is there a lot of flow into the radiator or not?

So it has not really overheated has it until after the repair? If not then I would presume the head is fine unless you have ran it for some time while it was hot. I assume you have not and you knew it was overheating during the post repair test run and you have been shutting it down as soon as you know it is overheating.

Since it is overheating with two different pumps then I would suspect that the belt is slipping if not a brand new belt (you don’t mention that it was replaced).

I am out of ideas but you can try to remove all the hoses and thermostat and see if you have water flowing from the bottom radiator hose up through the engine block (use a garden hose). And then from the top out the bottom (reverse flow). I don’t know how it would be clogged but that’s all I have left

Puzzled

Equipment
1987 F2000 4WD
May 6, 2023
Ohio
Do you have the thermostat back in? If not is there a lot of flow into the radiator or not?

So it has not really overheated has it until after the repair? If not then I would presume the head is fine unless you have ran it for some time while it was hot. I assume you have not and you knew it was overheating during the post repair test run and you have been shutting it down as soon as you know it is overheating.

Since it is overheating with two different pumps then I would suspect that the belt is slipping if not a brand new belt (you don’t mention that it was replaced).

I am out of ideas but you can try to remove all the hoses and thermostat and see if you have water flowing from the bottom radiator hose up through the engine block (use a garden hose). And then from the top out the bottom (reverse flow). I don’t know how it would be clogged but that’s all I have left
I am continuing to work on it today and will put the new pump back on. I have checked flow through the block from the top hose and it is fine. I will be checking the line from bottom of pump to radiator as that is the only one I have not ensured it is open. The belt was replaced last year with new alternator. Thanks again

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Congratulations!

Do you know what the obstruction was and where it came from? Just curious what it was…

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I found the problem. It was an obstruction in the lower hose off the water pump to the radiator. Fortunately not a cracked head. Thanks anyways!
Well I like to be wrong on cases like this, hoses are much cheaper and easier to replace!
That's a first I ever heard of that, not very common for hoses to be plugged????
Did someone use stop leak in it?