F150 Questions

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Prof- good points. It's currently registered as class 2. I have the towing package but won't be pulling anywhere near the max rating, so I'm not worried about it. I think the tow rating is 9100 for this truck. I do like the hitch assist camera. It's an awesome improvement over my old tow vehicles. I will surely enjoy using it.

sdk- I hear ya on the turning radius, it's pretty bad. I feel like I'm captaining an aircraft carrier. It's going to take some getting used to for sure. Speakers, honestly, the sound quality is ok, not great. Salesman was giddy about the B&O system in the truck but it's nowhere near the alpine system in my wife's Grand Cherokee. That system truly rocks.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Congrat's, looks like you've got two keepers! (the wife & truck:D)

I'm currently leasing a '15 Supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 EB. My first Ford in ten years, and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. 42K miles so far, no issues what so ever, averages 21mpg with mixed driving, and 15mpg pulling my tandem flatbed & Kubota/gear (~6k#'s) The little 2.7 pulls like a big V8 when it spools up, and can knock down 26mpg on the highway when driven sanely. An over-achiever for sure. All the current F150 engines are solid, no bad choices, but I'm still smitten with the 2.7, and will lease another later this spring.

Enjoy your new ride, hope it serves you well! :)

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
2011 F150 SCREW with the 3.5 EB engine and 6.5' bed. Tows most anything like a beast. I accidentally smoked the rears taking off from a stoplight while towing my travel trailer! Was much more careful after that! Can break the tires loose in 3rd gear under hard acceleration getting onto the interstate...be careful there too, especially if unloaded and the pavement is damp.

Front brake pads (OEM) were changed last fall for the first time @ 90,000 miles and the rotors were true and looked like factory new. I used OEM pads again.

Mileage 15-17 winter, and 16-18 summer. I bought it for the BOOST, not the ECO. I test drove a 2.7 but it had to downshift to get me from 70 to 80 on the interstate whereas the 3.5 simply took off without downshifting. I also disliked the engine shutting off at a stoplight and that would be a dealbreaker with me.

Next truck will be a Super-Duty as I plan on heavier towing and hope that Ford decides to turbo-size the 5.0 and use it as an engine option on the SD. I believe the 3.5 EB is currently an option on the SD if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line is my truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, I'm quite happy with it.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
yeah, silverado had camera and built in brake controller..the 'new' F350 had neither and i"m quite rusty on backing up to hitch up without the camera!

Prof- good points. It's currently registered as class 2. I have the towing package but won't be pulling anywhere near the max rating, so I'm not worried about it. I think the tow rating is 9100 for this truck. I do like the hitch assist camera. It's an awesome improvement over my old tow vehicles. I will surely enjoy using it.

sdk- I hear ya on the turning radius, it's pretty bad. I feel like I'm captaining an aircraft carrier. It's going to take some getting used to for sure. Speakers, honestly, the sound quality is ok, not great. Salesman was giddy about the B&O system in the truck but it's nowhere near the alpine system in my wife's Grand Cherokee. That system truly rocks.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
Towing isn't just abotu pulling power - my 2014 subary 4cyl has more HP than many early 80's trucks but can't pull crap by comparison.

And it can pull 3X what my son's 200hp v6 taurus can pull.

there is stopping, handling - regular flat sunny day roads as well as night in the rain on a hill.

I've pulled the same 7000lb camper with an 01 expedition w/ E-rated tires (did fine, some porpoising though, mostly I think to low rated rear springs/short wheel base).
A 2013 silverado 4 door 5.5' bed - MUCH longer wheel base, but had P rated 4 ply tires, felt like driiving on 4 jello blocks. No porpoising though.

A '16 diesel denali 4 door - didn't need the weight distribution bars, no sway, didn't even know the trailer was back there.

Now have an 05 F350 (std cab 8' bed) - much taller, haven't pulled the camper yet (still snow weather here..had an inch this morning). Have pulled my other trailers...ones with no brakes and don't even feel them back there - even when stopping.

Tow vehicles have had anywhere from 2000 miles (silverado) to 228,000 (expedition). Each has felt different, and different at different times/conditions.

You get used to the conditions..the first pull with the silverado and camper was pucker time. After 5 years of towing and some 1500 mile trips I felt comfortable with the jelllo tires and such..but a more substantial truck feels solid and safe from mile 1.

Once you experience it you'll know the feeling.

2011 F150 SCREW with the 3.5 EB engine and 6.5' bed. Tows most anything like a beast. I accidentally smoked the rears taking off from a stoplight while towing my travel trailer! Was much more careful after that! Can break the tires loose in 3rd gear under hard acceleration getting onto the interstate...be careful there too, especially if unloaded and the pavement is damp.

Front brake pads (OEM) were changed last fall for the first time @ 90,000 miles and the rotors were true and looked like factory new. I used OEM pads again.

Mileage 15-17 winter, and 16-18 summer. I bought it for the BOOST, not the ECO. I test drove a 2.7 but it had to downshift to get me from 70 to 80 on the interstate whereas the 3.5 simply took off without downshifting. I also disliked the engine shutting off at a stoplight and that would be a dealbreaker with me.

Next truck will be a Super-Duty as I plan on heavier towing and hope that Ford decides to turbo-size the 5.0 and use it as an engine option on the SD. I believe the 3.5 EB is currently an option on the SD if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line is my truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, I'm quite happy with it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
mcfarmall- That's what I've heard all along about the 3.5 ecoboost. It's either "eco" or "boost" and you have to pick only one. I'd like to see for myself sometime and drive one. I do, however, like me the sound of a V8! I have a stingray boat with a 4.3 V6 with thru hull exhaust (i bought it slightly used...so it wasn't me that optioned that exhaust system). It sounds great running in my driveway, but nothing like a v8 when it's on the water.

Prof- been pulling my landscape trailer with my 01 dakota (4.7 liter v8) for quite a while. That truck hated pulling that trailer with or without a load since there was so much wind resistance from the rear gates. Same truck had no issues with my boat (approx 4500# with single axle trailer). I do remember having shoulder/back pain after towing the tractor/landscape trailer with the dakota...the pain was caused by the stress (pucker factor) of that whole tow rig!

When I had my landscaping business, pulled same trailer with 2000 GMC 3500HD crew cab dump. 6.5 TD with 5:13 rear...it didn't complain and got the same fuel mileage whether it was pulling a load or not.

anyway, yes, I think you just get used to em all after a while.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont think skid pan needs to be removed for oil filter access. Take a look from under the hood. It may be easy to access from above.
My understanding the box panels are spot welded, not riveted as mentioned. No bodywork. No dent repair,panel replacement only. Special repair process. Dedicated welder,horribly expensive. A big step to forcing small body shops out of business,including losing older techs requiring special certification to repair them.
Hope you dont do a lot of gravel road travel,rear is very light and it wont pull a wiener off a plate if its in 2wd in the snow.

The only reason for aluminum is to increase carrying capacity. There is no barrier between the steel components and aluminum, so about when warranty is done,the box should be about ready to fall off the truck.If aircraft were built the same way,they would be falling from the sky daily. Military grade?what part?

Im not knocking the truck as a whole, but i really dont care for any of the new ones. Nothing rebuildable,serviceabily is based on bolting on new parts and throwing the old parts away. 78% landfill.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I dont think skid pan needs to be removed for oil filter access. Take a look from under the hood. It may be easy to access from above.
No, I can access the oil filter just fine from underneath as it's right on the front of the block. But I'm sure it will drain its contents onto the skid plates.

Regarding serviceability...vehicles have been that way for a long time. Working on them is simply replacing parts (mostly). I used to be a tech myself.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
No, I can access the oil filter just fine from underneath as it's right on the front of the block. But I'm sure it will drain its contents onto the skid plates.

Regarding serviceability...vehicles have been that way for a long time. Working on them is simply replacing parts (mostly). I used to be a tech myself.
I worked at 2 ford dealerships and 1 chrysler. 3 general shops as a tech and service writer as well as 9 years as a jobber counter parts man.

Hand a young tech a carb and tell him to rebuild it and he be runnin home to momma.

The technology is great,fuel mileage isnt. I had a 69 corolla that got 44 miles to the gallon,they dont do that now.

The creature comforts, power everything,great.repairing it-not so much.
10 speed transmissions? Why? Because the other guys had 6 speed autos.
3 planetarys, they could have 27 ratios to choose from.

I feel its just getting out of hand,and all this tech is a waste.

They should be engineering serviceability,so vehicles spend less time in shop,lower repair costs and increase volume by being able to move more jobs through the shops.

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
10-4 to tool junkie. Way too many gadgets on vehicles now. Just wait till you have to have them repaired. 3 weeks to a month without your vehicle. A 1978 Camero could come into my shop at 8 am and I could pull the transmission, rebuild it, install it and be done by 5 pm for $350. Last mth, I had a Ford Fusion all wheel drive, took 3 weeks to get all the parts and back together. $2800. 00 and I think I lost money.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I agree with ya junkie. Way too much techy gadget stuff. It's really overwhelming. I think they build all this crap into vehicles to help keep people from wrecking while texting or watching videos while driving.

Unfortunately, it's rather difficult finding a new(er) vehicle without all the gadgets.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
The f-150 has always been and will continue to be a great truck. That 5.0 coyote powerplant is more than sufficient, although often overlooked due to the hype of the ecoboost motors. Personally, if I were to go pick up a new f-150 it would be the 5.0. The 3.5 might have superior towing manners, but if I’m towing anything the 5.0 might struggle with I’m going 3/4 ton+ anyways. Good luck with it. I’m coming due for a new truck with my 14 ram ecodiesel hitting 150k miles and the 5.0 f-150 and sierra 5.3 are my front runners. May go with a 2500 sierra 6.0 though depending on how big my next boat will be.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I have replaced manifolds/gaskets intake and exhayst on all 3-ford gm and dodge trucks. Tools,cost of parts and time.general motors wins hands down. Spark plug changes too...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
yeah, silverado had camera and built in brake controller..the 'new' F350 had neither and i"m quite rusty on backing up to hitch up without the camera!
My F550 service truck has a back up camera. Easiest vehicle to hook a trailer to :D When I hook my Sierra up to a trailer, I gotta get out 2 or three times to check alignment :rolleyes:

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I bought the F150 after having an F250 for 14 years. What a difference in ride!! My truck is an F150 XLT with Eco-Boost engine and supercab.

What I really like is the integrated towing, this is astounding. I was used to the trailer brake control unit that you had to set manually every time you connected the trailer to make sure it was set to handle the weight. So you would connect up the trailer, load it and then set the braking to the point just before the trailer wheels would lock up. Then every time you would step on the brake you would feel the trailer pulling on the truck.

With the integrated towing you set the "gain" to the level for the fully loaded trailer, give the trailer a name and then whenever you connect up the trailer again you just select that trailer. That is it! Plus the integrated towing applies trailer braking based on the level you step on the brake! Step hard on the brakes and the trailer brakes hard, step lightly on the brakes and the trailer brakes lightly...

The "tow/haul" mode is also great. Going downhill with a fully loaded trailer with my F250 I had to brake to keep from taking off like a rocket. With the F150 it monitors the speed and downshifts the transmission automatically to keep the speed at the level you were driving. Love it!

One other point, when I bought my truck they said it was only rated for 7,500lbs. The truck next to mine was rated at 11,000lbs. I asked for the reason why and the manager sat down with me and we looked at gear ratios, oil cooler, engine, frame, etc... Everything was the same except the truck I wanted did not have the "Heavy Duty Towing", it only had the "Towing Package". After looking at all the specs down to the part numbers of the major components the only difference was the truck I wanted did not have the big box like mirrors or the "heavy duty bumper". I did not care about the mirrors as I could see fine towing my flatbed trailer and the bumper had nothing to do with the trailer hitch as it was mounted into the frame.

Bottom line is my truck will haul the 11,000lbs fine. So if you have 3.73 gearing and all the other towing components you should be fine.

Enjoy your new truck, and make sure you buy that wonderful woman of yours something that will show her how much you appreciate her also...:D

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
KeithG-

i totally agree with you on the integrated brake controller. I had a tekonsha unit on my old truck. It worked well but had to be constantly adjusted.

I'm curious about the tow/haul mode. I tried it two weeks ago and the trans didn't get beyond 7th gear (which I think is the first overdrive gear or it's 1:1). I can't find any documentation on the tow/haul mode limiting gears with the 10 speed.

I think the 3.55 gears I have with the 5.0 limits me to either 9100 or 9600 lbs.

Oh, and I did buy my wife this house on her birthday ...can we call it even?

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I bought the F150 after having an F250 for 14 years. What a difference in ride!! My truck is an F150 XLT with Eco-Boost engine and supercab.

What I really like is the integrated towing, this is astounding. I was used to the trailer brake control unit that you had to set manually every time you connected the trailer to make sure it was set to handle the weight. So you would connect up the trailer, load it and then set the braking to the point just before the trailer wheels would lock up. Then every time you would step on the brake you would feel the trailer pulling on the truck.

With the integrated towing you set the "gain" to the level for the fully loaded trailer, give the trailer a name and then whenever you connect up the trailer again you just select that trailer. That is it! Plus the integrated towing applies trailer braking based on the level you step on the brake! Step hard on the brakes and the trailer brakes hard, step lightly on the brakes and the trailer brakes lightly...

The "tow/haul" mode is also great. Going downhill with a fully loaded trailer with my F250 I had to brake to keep from taking off like a rocket. With the F150 it monitors the speed and downshifts the transmission automatically to keep the speed at the level you were driving. Love it!

One other point, when I bought my truck they said it was only rated for 7,500lbs. The truck next to mine was rated at 11,000lbs. I asked for the reason why and the manager sat down with me and we looked at gear ratios, oil cooler, engine, frame, etc... Everything was the same except the truck I wanted did not have the "Heavy Duty Towing", it only had the "Towing Package". After looking at all the specs down to the part numbers of the major components the only difference was the truck I wanted did not have the big box like mirrors or the "heavy duty bumper". I did not care about the mirrors as I could see fine towing my flatbed trailer and the bumper had nothing to do with the trailer hitch as it was mounted into the frame.

Bottom line is my truck will haul the 11,000lbs fine. So if you have 3.73 gearing and all the other towing components you should be fine.

Enjoy your new truck, and make sure you buy that wonderful woman of yours something that will show her how much you appreciate her also...:D

excellent input here... feel exactly the same way as you about this set up & have the same set up...

it has done 11,000lbs on several occasions with no problem.

my typical load (tractor/trailer/gear) right now is 6,500ish.

1 thing to note about the 3.5 eco vs the 5.0= the 5.0 does better on fuel.

pulling that load im about 12-13mpg average.