Extra-dig modification on my backhoe, maybe a mad project to far!!!

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi all,
I'm planning on doing some long overdue land drainage work shortly in an attempt to help our water logged property during the winter period.
I'm going to be using my recently rebuild lewis 200 backhoe fitted to my B8200 for the work.
Working Space andvery limited access is a factor so the above method is prefered over larger equipment, and the loader factor is a key part of the work when combined with the backhoe.
Anyway , my question to you all is this.
I would really like some additional reach on the backhoe for use when clearing debris etc from our lake, i am thinking about fabricating an extending section for the dipper arm , a telescopic section fitted within the dipper.
This would need to be hydraulically operated to provide additional reach when required, many larger excavators have such dippers ( JCB certainly do ).
I will need to fabricate a new main dipper to start with, but what sort of extend/retract system would be best to use for the inner section etc.
I was thinking of using a foot mounted pedal to be able to operate it simutanously when using the other controls.
Any thoughts on this mad idea folks, or is it just that, a mad idea....:eek:

cheers
rob

Reactions: 1 user

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Sounds like a great idea. I would like a little extra reach om my backhoe at times. Can't wait to see your work!!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Me personally I've seen wayyy to many broken dipper sticks from the extend-a-hoe where people over load them and snap them in half. I say this because I used to drive trucks for a local New Hollan dealer and I carried in to many backhoes with busted booms.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I have to agree with Eric on this one. Just to risky. They can crack. I welded up a Cat excavator just a few weeks ago becuase of a crack in it's boom.

The other thing is when you extend it you'll loose lift capacity and I doubt it would even lift the dipper stick.
I remember years ago, the company I worked for had a little John Deere back hoe. I think it was a 310A. Anyway it had the extend a boom and it was a great feature but once you extended to boom and filled the hoes bucket you'd have to retract the boom to lift the bucket out of the hole. It was a great little machine and fun to operate though.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Years ago I put another arm in my K650 backhoe to give me extended reach. If I remember correctly, it was about 30", extended out straight from the boom arm, with about 90 degree rotation. It looked just like the dipperstick arm. I bolted a valve on the side of the control console to operate it.
The arm worked Great! I used it while digging foundations for my house, ditching water, phone and electric lines, and landscaping. The extra reach was terrific. I don't recall any particular negatives to it.
One day I left the bucket down on something and drove the tractor away, and bent the cylinder rod into a lazy J. I took the extension back off, as I was finished with most of the backhoe work. Then, after years of being a wall decoration in my barn, I used it as part of the weight and 3 point structure in my ballast box.