Everything electric on L2900 tractor is dead

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I have a L2900 4-wheel tractor that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. It has worked perfectly until this morning. I was moving some dirt using the loader when I stopped for lunch. I turned the tractor off and went inside to eat. When I can out I turned the key on and tried to start the tractor. The battery and oil lights were lit up as they should be, but when I turned the key nothing happened. Then the two lights went off and everything was dead. It is as if the battery was disconnected. Nothing electrical works.
I checked the battery, 12volts. I checked the slow-blow fuse and it was good, and there was 12 volts going to the fuse. I pulled the ignition switch and checked if there was 12 volts going to the switch. There was 9 1/2 volts at the Bat. terminal. Somewhere between the slow-blow fuse and the ignition switch I am losing 2 1/2 volts.
I don't know if this is the cause of everything electrical being dead, but it is a place to start. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHERE ELSE TO CHECK? I AM AT A LOSS RIGHT NOW. I am new to the forum and hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Gene

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
The battery is almost new. I'm 99% sure that it is not the battery. I have been going over the wiring diagrams again and again, and I keep coming back to the ignition switch. That is the only thing I can find which can disable all the lights, gauges, and starter. When I found the 9 1/2 volts on the battery terminal on the ignition switch, I didn't check the switch any more thinking that that voltage was the problem. After thinking about it, I would think that 9 1/2 volts should at least light up one of the idiot lights enough to see.
It is dark now, but I am going to go out in the morning and check all the terminals on the switch. If that is not it, I don't have a clue what it could be.
Thanks for the reply,
Gene

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
i cant remember on which model Kubota's it is but I remember hearing on here that on some of them if you pull out the cut off knob/lever that you have to make sure you turn the key to the off position and remove the key. A few members have been caught off guard and it will actually keep the hour meter running and rack up un necessary hours with the engine off.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Have you checked the "safety" switches that may be located under the seat or in the shift selectors? Not knowing your tractor year or model I would assume some silly switch is open not allowing it to start. My tractor is older, but my dad has a newer b7800, and I'm sure surprised on how many switches need to be in harmony just to start the silly thing. Good thing OSHA is keeping us safe! If it were me, I'd do some jimmy riggin' and bypass a bunch of those stupid things.

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I always turn the key off. Also, there is a PTO and Shuttle Shift safety switches. I have checked both of them.
The tractor is a 1994 L2900 with the Glide Transmission.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Check the 4 ends of the 2 battery cables, clean all 4 with a wire brush, replace and tighten. It can happen that the connections are just bad enough that they may show voltage at the micro-amp load of a volt meter, but try to do anything more and the voltage just can't get through the oxidation. Also look for any swelling of the cable sheathing for a few inches from the battery ends; hidden corrosion can happen that makes the copper conductor inside too thin to carry the load much more than the dash lights.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Check the 4 ends of the 2 battery cables, clean all 4 with a wire brush, replace and tighten. It can happen that the connections are just bad enough that they may show voltage at the micro-amp load of a volt meter, but try to do anything more and the voltage just can't get through the oxidation. Also look for any swelling of the cable sheathing for a few inches from the battery ends; hidden corrosion can happen that makes the copper conductor inside too thin to carry the load much more than the dash lights.
Exactly what I was goin to recommend.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
As said check the 4 cable ends. a poor ground is most usual suspect in my experience. Dont be surprised that the Batt is exhibiting a low charge. Poor connections will also affect charging. I say this because you say the Batt voltage is 12V. Nominal batt voltage 13.5-13.8V.

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
You guys hit it on the nose. I had installed a new neg. battery cable and had drilled a hole through the frame so I would have a good ground. What I didn't do was grind down to the bare metal around the hole. I remove the bolt and cable and ground around the hole until I could see the bare metal. Then I reconnected the cable and bolt, started the tractor, and went back to work.
It is amazing what a little dirt and rust will do to an electrical connection!!
Thanks for all the help,
Gene

Jiminoregon

Equipment
B2920
Sep 9, 2012
Nehalem, OR, USA
I have a B2920 with the same problem - everything electrical is dead. even hazard lights don't work and they usually work without the key in the ignition. Heard somewhere if voltage regulator defective all else fails. Only 260 hours on the tractor - could it be the regulator???

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
Hi Jim,
Have you checked the ground where the neg. terminal from the battery connects to the tractor. That was my problem. It did not make good connection. Disconnect the terminal and sand ( or grind) the paint away where the bolt connects to the tractor frame. Use a new bolt and nut and see if that makes a difference.
Mine was working fine and then all of a sudden nothing worked. If nothing electrical on the tractor works, I would guarantee that there is a problem with the neg. terminal on the battery, the neg. battery cable, or a bad connection where the battery cable bolts to the frame.

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
Is there a Kubota dealer nearby? If there is see if you can talk to one of the mechanics for a couple of minute. He can probably give you a list of two or three things which can cause your problem, and how to check them.