Essential Tractoring Tools

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Bmyers wrote this about his day, "Loaded up the trailer with scrap metal from the farm. In the process, found a yellow jacket nest. Dad was trying to get away from it cause I stirred it up unintentionally with the grapple, but he got caught up in barb wire fencing. Thankfully, neither of us got stung. I was able to quickly get him cut free using the wire cutters I keep on my belt. Dad thought I was a little crazy to carry wire cutters, but they had come in handy a few different time and after today, I bet you he will be looking for a pair to carry on his belt."

There are several posts about tool boxes on the tractors but little about what is in them. We always had a little and a big Cresent wrench, fencing pliers, screw driver and extra pins.

That was a long time ago. Now there are the Leatherman Tools that you can buy. Does anyone have or know of a Leatherman type of tool that is good enough to replace the standard tools in a tool box? I have carried several different brands and none of them would cut a barb wire fence with out damaging the tool. The pliers are weak and the screwdrivers fold over just as you start to twist that screw.

There are many different makes and models on the web but does anyone have a tool in their pocket that they would not trade away? Just for times like Bmyers had today.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have always wished for a leatherman style tool that was 2 or 3 times the size, and stout enough to handle appropriate sized work. That would go a long way to paring down the tools carried on the tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The cutters I carry in a pouch on my belt is Knipex 8" wire cutter. A little bigger than I would like, but so far has cut through any wire/fence that I needed. As noted, it worked GREAT yesterday and was thankful to have them.

In the cab of my tractor, I carry 10" Spud wrench, 11-n-1 multitool screw driver, small first aid kit, and small fire extinguisher.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a multitool that compares to the tools that I carry in the cab. I will be curious to see if anyone comes up with a multitool that compares to the Knipex.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I always carry a Leatherman tool, either the Original on my belt or the Wingman clipped onto my pocket. They are always there to take care of quick/easy stuff but neither will replace the tool box which contains basic tools such is Crescent wrenches, open/box end set, various screwdrivers, hatchet, and fence pliers.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW I just have an old pair of Kline side cutters

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If I remember right, the little onboard factory toolbox on my B7100 holds an adjustable wrench, diagonal cutters, pliers, two screwdrivers, a knife, fuses, and some zip ties. It isn't much of a toolbox, see pic.
Here is a thread showing the factory B7100 tool kit:

IMG_0180 4.11.46 PM copy.jpg

Addendum: When my neighbor delivered the tractor after I bought it, I was checking it over and opened the toolbox. He said "What the hell is that?!?!" He had owned the tractor for 7 years and never new it had a toolbox. :)

Last edited:

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I go the old farmer way. I carry a combination side cutting slip joint pliers in a plier pocket on my belt. Have for over 40 years. Cuts wire, rounds off nuts and lots of other things. A tid bit of useless info for ya is that my dad wore one for as long as I remember and my older brother does also. Dad always had his on the left which is where mine is, my brother wears his on the right. I also keep a Mag light pen light on my belt. I keep certain tools in the tractor tool box depending on the tractor and implement. Shear bolts for snowblower and wrenches to change. A crescent wrench is a must along with a vise grips. A bfh is always handy. Tool boxes are always too small so you need to be creative. Some baling wire is always handy. Oh yea I am usually within close proximity of my pickup which has more tools than most people own.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I forgot to add that there are also two sizes of "channel lock" pliers in the box.

I thought that I had a picture of my tool boxes but I could not find it. Anyway in addition to the factory box, I added large and small military ammo boxes. The factory box which had lost it's lid before I bought the tractor contains tractor pins, clips, etc. The tools are in the two "weather proof" ammo boxes.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Screwdriver, pliers, assorted combination wrenches, tractor pins, Stihl srench. A 1974 and the tool box stays dry.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Have to say that I am surprised that so many people carry tools on their belts. I have always found that they are always getting tangled in levers and bushes and anything else they can find. The tractor is just there and I leave everything in it until needed and the toolset changes according to the task being undertaken. But there is always a small adjustable spanner, a 13mm spanner, a flat blade screwdriver, shear bolts, several bits of light rope and a few spare pins

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Picture??
If you look up at one of my earlier post, I include a link to Amazon where I purchased the pliers. I don't have a picture of them, but I could get one if you really want it.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I added a 50cal ammo can behind the seat on my B3200 for tools. Cresent wrench, a couple pairs of slip joint pliers, shear bolts and nuts, spare gloves, spare chain saw file and a bunch of lynch pins. I've had them break, catch on a branch or stump, flip open and vibrate out on a 3 point attachment. Throw in a new one and keep going. I'm never that far from the house if I need to walk back and grab something else

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
If you look up at one of my earlier post, I include a link to Amazon where I purchased the pliers. I don't have a picture of them, but I could get one if you really want it.
Got it, Thanks. I was thinking more in line with the Leatherman type multi-tools.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Neither one is much but they're in my pocket 24x7x365 no matter where I go or how I'm dressed. Those little pliers have saved me countless steps.
IMG_4293.JPG

All tractors have have a hammer, crescent wrench, channel locks and/or robo grip pliers.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
in addition to the tools, clevis and pins you guys mention, I keep a small 8" magnetic level. I use it whenever I change implements (box blade, stump grinder and flail mower) so I can set side to side and pitch level.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I remember right, the little onboard factory toolbox on my B7100 holds an adjustable wrench, diagonal cutters, pliers, two screwdrivers, a knife, fuses, and some zip ties. It isn't much of a toolbox, see pic.
Here is a thread showing the factory B7100 tool kit:

View attachment 48675
Addendum: When my neighbor delivered the tractor after I bought it, I was checking it over and opened the toolbox. He said "What the hell is that?!?!" He had owned the tractor for 7 years and never new it had a toolbox. :)
Bill, you got me! I was reading what was in your post, and it said, "Here is a picture of what came in the tool box of my B7100." And I scroll down and see a women! 😁

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Funny! Hadn't thought of it that way. :)
The wife was moving the tractor over to the slash pile. (which has since been disposed of)
Pretty early version of ole Brutus- old tires, no wheel weights, no ROPS, no vertical exhaust, no oversize pads on the outriggers.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
in addition to the tools, clevis and pins you guys mention, I keep a small 8" magnetic level. I use it whenever I change implements (box blade, stump grinder and flail mower) so I can set side to side and pitch level.

These levels work great mounted right on the implement.