Engine Trouble

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, simple test...
remove filler cap from fuel tank, start up engine...does it only run for 5 minutes or 'runs forever' ?
if '5', my guess is still 'something' blocking the tank spigot.
if 'forever', fuel cap vent is plugged, rare but bugs do make homes...

'remote diagnosis' is challenging but we're all here to help. I have 1050+ hrs on my 2018 BX23S,so I have some experience.....The 'sliver of plastic' in the tank was a 'floater',would run fine, then rough, fine, then rough, finally really rough and 'died'..magically started right up then the 'fun' again. HAD to remove tank to properly clean and confirm NOTHING in the tank.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
No disrespect meant, but if you can't do any of this you either need a friend to do it for you (and coach you on some very simple things like have been described), or a dealership to do maintenance and for you to study a users manual and more youtube videos for the easier maintenance stuff.

Sounds like you have ZERO experience with equipment.

You either need to learn to do the simple stuff or pay through the nose to always have someone to do it for you. Can get very expensive.

The other option is maybe owning a tractor is not for you>? (not trying to be mean here)

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
No disrespect meant, but if you can't do any of this you either need a friend to do it for you (and coach you on some very simple things like have been described), or a dealership to do maintenance and for you to study a users manual and more youtube videos for the easier maintenance stuff.

Sounds like you have ZERO experience with equipment.

You either need to learn to do the simple stuff or pay through the nose to always have someone to do it for you. Can get very expensive.

The other option is maybe owning a tractor is not for you>? (not trying to be mean here)
Yes, you understand. I'm just trying to fix it up to sell it. I can't keep owning it. It's way too difficult. I had no idea it was going to be like this when I bought it. I don't know anyone who knows this stuff.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I would call the local dealership and determine if it has warranty, also ask if they will just buy it from you. What is your location as I might know someone that would be interested as is.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I would call the local dealership and determine if it has warranty, also ask if they will just buy it from you. What is your location as I might know someone that would be interested as is.
North Georgia, near Nelson tractor. But I bought it used from a private owner. I bought the rosary cutter from Nelson.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Very common this time of year to get algae in the fuel tank.
Treat the fuel with algaecide.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Yes, it is diesel. What is the fix for "fuel system sucking air?"
Some times it's a cracked fitting or hose that's worn, cut or dry rotted. Some times the hose is perfectly fine, just loose or no hose clamp. I have also seen lines that swell shut with no outside indication there's anything wrong.
Been doing this for a long time.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I bought it used with 20 hours on it. I guess it has warrantee but don't know. Yes it has 2 fuel filters and both were changed last week I don't know what WSM means. The mechanic said me the diesel fuel is good.
Seen lots and lots of fuel filters put on dry.
Double o-rings on the fuel filter will cause all kinds of hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You've already bought the tractor, you need to get it working to sell it. But once it's working, in general a Kubota should need only the most minimal maintenance, I'd give it another go before I gave up. Presumably you actually have a use for it that means you bought it originally? Once you've seen everything once, then you've learned all you need to know. The learning curve is just steep until you've seen everything once.

We can probably work you through what you need, but just slowly.

So, the theory most people look to have is that you have a fuel blockage. The way we know that is that it starts (so it must have fuel), but after a while it stops. That would often mean that it's got a bit of fuel flow, so it fills the filter and the line. But once it's running it's using fuel faster than it's coming out of the tank, so after a while it stops when the lines run dry. It won't start immediately, but if you leave it for a while some more fuel trickles out of the tank and fills the lines again.

If that's the theory, then you need:
a) a way to check if that's true before you waste time on it, and
b) a way to fix it if that is actually the problem.

The way to check it is to see if you actually have fuel flow. You can do this (or have your mechanic do it) by disconnecting a fuel line and putting the end in a bucket, and turning the key to the on position (not the run). The fuel pump will pump fuel into the bucket. You want to see a good enough flow - I don't know exactly how much, but someone on here will be able to say how much fuel you should see in 20 seconds or so. If it's not coming out very fast, then that's the indicator you have a blockage. You want to use a clean bucket so you can put the fuel back in the tank once you've done the test.

If it is a flow problem, then you follow the fuel line back to the tank. As others have said, it's most likely algae growing in your diesel, or something fallen in the tank that is blocking the outlet. Given your level of experience, probably you'll want your mechanic to drain the tank, clean it, change the filters, put algaecide in to kill any algae, and get it running again. In concept you can do this yourself - it's not hard, you just need step by step instructions. In reality it doesn't feel like you have the confidence to take it on right now, so probably better to have someone else do it.

I hear what you say about nothing working the way the manuals and YouTube show. That might mean you don't have the right manual - generally Kubota workshop manuals are pretty good, if you have the one that matches your tractor the instructions should be relatively clear. Having said that, they do assume a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, and so it may be like asking someone who doesn't cook a lot to follow a recipe - there can be quite a few assumed steps that they just don't realise they had to do.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I would check on the warranty before doing anything else but it sure does sound fuel related. Depending on the year of the tractor of course, with that low of hours I can't imagine its outside its warranty period.

I wish I wasn't so far from you. I'd love to show you the basics. Tractors are about as simple as it gets when it comes to mechanics, but anything is hard when you are starting from scratch. I assume by your username you're a homesteader, a tactor is an invaluable tool for homesteading, a swiss army knife of any land ownership. Mechanical inclination is also one of the most important skills in improving your quality of life on a homestead so taking the time to improve that skill would likely greatly benefit you. It would be a shame to give up on that endeavor, it just takes patience and time.

Reactions: 1 user