Engine Trouble

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I was going to upload a video of my BX23S sputtering throttling down and up without me touching any controls at all, but it seems I can't do that here. (If anyone knows how I can, please let me know.) I've had a knowledgeable repairman help me but still, I get about 5 minutes of run time before the engine dies. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this problem? I could post the video somewhere else maybe - if that doesn't violate the policies of this site......?

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
By the way, I've realized that I shouldn't own a tractor because I'm too ignorant of to maintain them, so my purpose is to fix it up and then sell it. I realize that may effect answers that I get about my current problem.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
If it's a diesel it sounds like the fuel system is sucking air.

I had my far inferior counterparts about to replace the injector pump and injectors on an engine that only had a bad fuel filter o-ring.
Some mechanics shouldn't be mechanics.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
after you post 5 or 6 messages , you should be able to upload the video.
There is no oring, both fuel filters are simply connected inline to the 5/16" fuel line.with spring 'clips'.
I suspect you've got a 'floater' in the tank that blocks the outlet spigot.
In my case it was a small, crescent shaped piece of black plastic. The only SURE way to be 100% certain the tank is totally clean is to remove,clean then reinstall a job the local dealer quoted 3 hours to do. I took a lot longer but wasn't in a hurry and it's not that hard of a job. having a 2nd body helps remove the heavy seat assembly and the awkward fender pan section. After I cleaned mine, I put a simple 'laundry tub screen' in the fuel neck...zero problems for the past 800 hours over 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can not attach a video here. Place it on a site like you tube and then link to it here.

See if you have good fuel flow at the inj pump

Reactions: 1 user

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
By the way, I've realized that I shouldn't own a tractor because I'm too ignorant of to maintain them, so my purpose is to fix it up and then sell it. I realize that may effect answers that I get about my current problem.
Don't give up on it too soon. Kubotas are very easy to maintain, you have an issue that can be fixed with some advice of folks on this site. The BX23S is a very reliable machine, once you get over this issue you are likely to be problem free for a good long time. Do your oil and fuel filter changes or have a dealer do them and I'm sure you will will enjoy your machine for many more years.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When you changed the fuel filters - did you turn the key to the RUN position for about 30 seconds?
NOT the start - rather the run, tick tick, you will hear the fuel pump pumping - it may even change sounds AS THE air is pushed out.

THEN start it and allow to run - see what happens.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Ok, now can we get the rest of the story(Paul Harvey)? History, hours, location, when did it start, did the oil/fuel filters change anything, was it running fine before maintance, purchased new/used?

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
When you changed the fuel filters - did you turn the key to the RUN position for about 30 seconds?
NOT the start - rather the run, tick tick, you will hear the fuel pump pumping - it may even change sounds AS THE air is pushed out.

THEN start it and allow to run - see what happens.
I hired someone to change the filters and oil because I couldn't figure out how to do it. I'll ask him these questions.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Ok, now can we get the rest of the story(Paul Harvey)? History, hours, location, when did it start, did the oil/fuel filters change anything, was it running fine before maintance, purchased new/used?
40 hours, Georgia, it ran fine until 40 hours, then had this issue of stopping. I thought maybe it needed maintenance, but that didn't help anything.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Don't give up on it too soon. Kubotas are very easy to maintain, you have an issue that can be fixed with some advice of folks on this site. The BX23S is a very reliable machine, once you get over this issue you are likely to be problem free for a good long time. Do your oil and fuel filter changes or have a dealer do them and I'm sure you will will enjoy your machine for many more years.
Thank you for the encouragement, but I'm way out of my league here. Basically everything I've ever tried to do hasn't worked on this tractor and I don't know how to do any of it. Nothing works like the videos and owners manual says. Even greasing zerks and switching implements is a herculean effort for me where something that takes somebody 2 minutes on a YouTube video takes me 3 hours of back breaking labor. I just can't keep this up. It's way to hard.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Does it have a warranty still? Does it have 2 fuel filters? Do you have a WSM for it? Is the diesel fuel good/clean/actually diesel? We need more information for diag.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Does it have a warranty still? Does it have 2 fuel filters? Do you have a WSM for it? Is the diesel fuel good/clean/actually diesel? We need more information for diag.
I bought it used with 20 hours on it. I guess it has warrantee but don't know. Yes it has 2 fuel filters and both were changed last week I don't know what WSM means. The mechanic said me the diesel fuel is good.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
WSM is the work shop manual. Is the coolant full in the radiator(LET IT COOL). Can you make a youtube video and provide the link here?