Engine Oil Light Coming On - L3400

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
I’ve got an L3400
The other day I was dragging a cultivator on some hard ground and after about an hour of this the oil light came on. I shut the engine off immediately. After waiting a couple minutes, I started it back up and the light remained off, so I went back dragging the cultivator. Then about 10 minutes later the light came back on. I shut the engine down and again waited another two minutes. I started the engine up and the light stayed off. This time I went back to the barn and quit for the day. I have used the tractor for a few light short jobs and the light has not come back on.
Tractor only has 525 hours on it.
How can I test the oil pressure?
Any thoughts?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can test the engine oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and the correct attachment threaded end at the engine. Remove the current electrical sensor, figure out the thread type and size and get the correct gauge.

The threads may not be National Pipe Thread (tapered) like you may be used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If it is a loose wire, it would have to ground to make the light come on.

The oil sending unit is on the back left side of the engine (as seen from the seat).

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
I just checked the oil pressure.
I started up the tractor an drove it into the barn and the oil light did not come on while the engine was running.

Checked the pressure and its at 60 psi at idle.

I put the sensor back in, and now the light stays on.

Took the sensor out and checked it with an air compressor and I could get the sensor to cycle on and off by as little as 10 psi.

Not sure what going on unless the oil is shorting the sensor out.

Going to order a new sensor.