Engine oil and trans,hyd fluid help please..

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
SUDT2 is not available in Canada, only the Canadian version of UDT ("Premium UDT"). Which is different than the US version. MSDS with some specs here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachments/premium-udt-e-2012-pdf.22834/ No VI or -40°C kinematic viscosity listed though.

Interestingly, while the viscosity index of the Amsoil is higher than SUDT2, the pour point is lower. Comparable to Duratran XL at -50°C. But the lowest pour point of all is the (conventional) Canadian "Premium" UDT at -57°C. Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C is the same as Deere Hyguard at 7.1 centistokes.

In a real twist of irony, Kubota brags that Premium UDT meets J20D specs. <lol> It is also reassuring to know that Premium UDT performance is similar to Premium UDT.

Here is the unexpurged text from the Canadian Premium UDT labels:

Front label:
"Premium UDT Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid".
"Built to last".
"For tractor transmission and hydraulic systems. Compatible with wet disk brakes".

Repeated in French.

Part number 72000-03406.

Rear label:
"Kubota Premium UDT Hydraulic/Transmission fluid is a premium quality, Kubota approved tractor transmission and hydraulic/wet brake fluid incorporating the latest additive technology. Premium UDT provides high resistance to high temperature breakdown, excellent seal compatibility and anti-wear protection. Premium UDT meets the requirements of John Deere J20D. Performance is similar to Premium UDT with the addition of superior low temperature properties. Premium UDT is a winter grade Universal Type Tractor Fluid. For a complete listing of tractors which can use Premium UDT, consult your Kubota dealer."
"Trade-mark of Kubota Corporation. Used under license."
"Kubota Canada Ltd. 5900 14th Ave. Markham, Ontario L3S 4K4."
"Made in Canada."
Here is some better organized comparative data. I think the cold performance winner is clear. Pefromane/cost wise J20D is probably the winner. There are other choices out there if you look but avialability is spotty. Chevron Synthetic THF is one example. While billed as a JDM J20D fluid it is actually closer to JIC/CNH Ultraction SSL (CNHI MAT 3553) and priced roughly the same as both Ultraction SSL and Amsoil ATH - twice the cost of SUDT2 and HyGard LV

Dan

1654954026968.png

1654954247969.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
Here's my issue with 'our', that doesn't mean all, Tractor Supply store and few other of their stores nearby. They store their hydraulic fluid outside year round. Rain, sleet, snow, 100 degree heat like we're going to have this week. Usually you can always find at least one with a lid popped off and I'll bet my bottom dollar they close them back up and sell them. Moisture and hydraulic fluid is not a good thing, some brands can handle a little moisture better than others.

If you look close there's at least one popped open in this photo I took.
Hydraulic Oil.jpg

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Yes! I know this is a old post! That said, keep drinking the Kool-aid guys. Every manufacturer "brands" some one else's fluids. Most hydrostatic use a "low viscosity" (John Deeres words) a 10 weight hydraulic oil. If a warm climate, 20 weight. 10 weight is ok temp wise for most of continental North America.