Engine oil and trans,hyd fluid help please..

Bill hopkins

Equipment
7100 kubota
May 23, 2022
Ga
I bet it's been covered many times- but I can't locate a post on it. I have a B7100 HST. What name brands, weights, do I use..thax

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Get some UDT from your Kubota dealer and a hydraulic filter while you are there.

AS for engine oil - I would get anything diesel rated - 10w30 or whatever you wish, since you are in Georgia - you really do not need a 5w oil. Most here use Rotella T6 but T4, T5 will be fine too.

You could spend the extra money on the S-UDT2 oils - but in that 30 year old machine, you may not see a need to do so.

Reactions: 5 users

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Get some UDT from your Kubota dealer and a hydraulic filter while you are there.

AS for engine oil - I would get anything diesel rated - 10w30 or whatever you wish, since you are in Georgia - you really do not need a 5w oil. Most here use Rotella T6 but T4, T5 will be fine too.

You could spend the extra money on the S-UDT2 oils - but in that 30 year old machine, you may not see a need to do so.
Excellent advice, concise & on point.

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Don't be surprised I you can't get udt, and have to get sudt². Don't know of any dealers local to me that carry the udt anymore.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I bet it's been covered many times- but I can't locate a post on it. I have a B7100 HST. What name brands, weights, do I use..thax
A universal tractor transmission fluid and 10W30 CK-4 diesel engine oil from your local tractor supply. Brand names do not matter.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Despite some of the advice above, I would be VERY wary of discount tractor hydraulic oils. You say you have the HST version and there are some low-quality oils out there that are not suitable for HST. Make sure the label clearly indicates it meets Kubota UDT specs.

Have a look at this or google "303 tractor oil lawsuit" for a discussion of the issues:

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Despite some of the advice above, I would be VERY wary of discount tractor hydraulic oils. You say you have the HST version and there are some low-quality oils out there that are not suitable for HST. Make sure the label clearly indicates it meets Kubota UDT specs.

Have a look at this or google "303 tractor oil lawsuit" for a discussion of the issues:

JD 303 is not and never was a UTTO.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'm not saying it is -- in fact, I'm saying it's not. So are the lawsuits!

But while you and I recognize the implications of the differences, a new member of limited experience and understanding may not. They may well walk into the local chain store and buy "Tractor oil" in a yellow bucket, thinking they are buying the right stuff.

However, if they are cautioned to read the label and ensure the product specifically meets Kubota UDT requirements, then they are far less likely to pour in something unsuitable.

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
After pricing the Kubota UTD and doing some comparison research, I recently went with Shell Rotella UTD.
I've also been using Shell Rotella motor oil in the B7200 HSTE--had about 20 gallons left from when I had a Volvo diesel car.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think what we ALL "know" - most anyone can make a label that says "meets or exceeds Kubota specifications"

My question is this - if you find a couple of gallons of XYZ that has the label on it saying it meets Kubota specs and use it and everything works well, you saved a few bucks in the short run.

Then again - you save the few bucks and 100 hours later, something is amiss in the hydraulics and HST systems. How much money did you really save?

Are there HST oils that are equal to Kubota's brew? I am sure they are and many use these oils. But damn if I would go to wally world or TSC and get some universal tractor hydraulic oil and stick it in my HST.

Then again - we all spend our time and money differently.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Despite some of the advice above, I would be VERY wary of discount tractor hydraulic oils.

My local Tractor Supply manager is a full time farmer. A real farmer, not a hobby farmer. She runs TSC in all of her Kubotas. Has for decades. No problems.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
At the time a B7100 was their current model Kubota was a lot more honest about UDT. I have posted this list before but I will post it one more time. Those are just a few of the dozens of products that were satisfactory alternatives to Kubota UDT. Over the years the names have changed a bit and the list is a lot bigger.

Dan

1654912471904.png

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
At the time a B7100 was their current model Kubota was a lot more honest about UDT. I have posted this list before but I will post it one more time. Those are just a few of the dozens of products that were satisfactory alternatives to Kubota UDT. Over the years the names have changed a bit and the list is a lot bigger.

Dan

View attachment 81609
There's a list very similar to this in my yanmars wsm that covers the power shift transmission. It happened to include hy trans and hy guard on the list as well as many that appear on your list.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There's a list very similar to this in my yanmars wsm that covers the power shift transmission. It happened to include hy trans and hy guard on the list as well as many that appear on your list.
M2C-134D was Ford's specification which probably predated all of them. At this point in time the newest OEM formulations (e.g. Kubota SUDT2, Case/CNH Ultraction, JD HYgard J20D) have gone to a synthetic base oil with slightly lower KV100, higher viscosity index, and increased ability to absorb water. All desirable but not essential improvements for use in an HST transmission. There are not a lot of third party equivalents for them.

Dan

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Actually, the list in the WSM for the B7100 HST is a bit shorter:

hydraulic specs from B7100HST_WSM_complete.jpg

Times change, products change and sometimes the manual is wrong (note the same page above identifies the hydraulic system as being "closed center type"!) Heck, even Kubota UDT changes from market to market -- The UDT Kubota sells in the US has substantially different properties than the fluid in Kubota Canada's pails. So a chart in an old manual may not be accurate any more. A better guide is the spec sheet of currently available products.

I am absolutely NOT saying that Kubota UDT is the only option. After considerable research, I personally am using Amsoil's product in my B7100 HST (for cold-weather performance reasons, obviously not price! <lol>). What I AM saying is that there are inferior, unsuitable discount fluids being sold to unsuspecting owners by chain stores and that the new owner of an HST machine needs to be wary.

In defference to 85Hokie's* observation, perhaps I should modify my original comment to say "Make sure the brand is from a well-known reputable manufacturer and the label clearly indicates it meets Kubota UDT specs."

*There seems to be a brace of Hokies in on this conversation. What the heck is a "Hokie" anyway?

Last edited:

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
My OEM manual for my 2022 BX2680 states basically CF through CI4 but not CJ4. Does that mean CK4 cant be used? No, API ratings normally cover past ratings. Then they throw in the greater than 15 ppm sulphur, which was a 2006 on road fuel federal requirement. Not sure what off road diesel sulphur content is or what hoops I would need to go through to even be able to purchase it. I don’t think they could make it more confusing. Not too impressed with the clairity of the OEM manual. They don’t need to reference 20 year old specifications, though still active, that have been superseded by newer specifications.

1654947213332.jpeg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Actually, the list in the WSM for the B7100 HST is a bit shorter:

View attachment 81617

Times change, products change and sometimes the manual is wrong (note the same page above identifies the hydraulic system as being "closed center type"!) Heck, even Kubota UDT changes from market to market -- The UDT Kubota sells in the US has substantially different properties than the fluid in Kubota Canada's pails. So a chart in an old manual may not be accurate any more. A better guide is the spec sheet of currently available products.

I am absolutely NOT saying that Kubota UDT is the only option. After considerable research, I personally am using Amsoil's product in my B7100 HST (for cold-weather performance reasons, obviously not price! <lol>). What I AM saying is that there are inferior, unsuitable discount fluids being sold to unsuspecting owners by chain stores and that the new owner of an HST machine needs to be wary.

In defference to 85Hokie's* observation, perhaps I should modify my original comment to say "Make sure the brand is from a well-known reputable manufacturer and the label clearly indicates it meets Kubota UDT specs."

*There seems to be a brace of Hokies in on this conversation. What the heck is a "Hokie" anyway?
Hokie i= Virginia Tech alum.

The lists of recommended transmission fluids provided in the Kubota manuals is representative but not exhaustive. There are way to many suitable products to list all of them.

The most reliable way to evaluate a potential lubricant of any kind is to read the actual product data sheet. The industry standard properties for a UTTO (e/g/ UDT) are pretty basic:

• KV100 ; 9.0-10.0
  • KV40: 45-65
  • Viscosity index > 130
  • Pour point: <-35C
  • API GL4 EP treat rate
If the fluid has those properties you are basically good to go in an application calling for UDT. They are not equivalents for SUDT/SUDT2 which is an improved cold weather formulation.

Here is the data for your Amsoil product. Higher viscosity than SUDT2 but lower VI. In terms of cold weather performance I would consider it somewhere in between UDT and SUDT2 and at double the cost.

1654949215253.png

Dan

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
SUDT2 is not available in Canada, only the Canadian version of UDT ("Premium UDT"). Which is different than the US version. MSDS with some specs here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachments/premium-udt-e-2012-pdf.22834/ No VI or -40°C kinematic viscosity listed though.

Interestingly, while the viscosity index of the Amsoil is higher than SUDT2, the pour point is lower. Comparable to Duratran XL at -50°C. But the lowest pour point of all is the (conventional) Canadian "Premium" UDT at -57°C. Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C is the same as Deere Hyguard at 7.1 centistokes.

In a real twist of irony, Kubota brags that Premium UDT meets J20D specs. <lol> It is also reassuring to know that Premium UDT performance is similar to Premium UDT.

Here is the unexpurged text from the Canadian Premium UDT labels:

Front label:
"Premium UDT Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid".
"Built to last".
"For tractor transmission and hydraulic systems. Compatible with wet disk brakes".

Repeated in French.

Part number 72000-03406.

Rear label:
"Kubota Premium UDT Hydraulic/Transmission fluid is a premium quality, Kubota approved tractor transmission and hydraulic/wet brake fluid incorporating the latest additive technology. Premium UDT provides high resistance to high temperature breakdown, excellent seal compatibility and anti-wear protection. Premium UDT meets the requirements of John Deere J20D. Performance is similar to Premium UDT with the addition of superior low temperature properties. Premium UDT is a winter grade Universal Type Tractor Fluid. For a complete listing of tractors which can use Premium UDT, consult your Kubota dealer."
"Trade-mark of Kubota Corporation. Used under license."
"Kubota Canada Ltd. 5900 14th Ave. Markham, Ontario L3S 4K4."
"Made in Canada."