Engine Locked up on L3200

flipnout1

Equipment
L3200
Jun 16, 2022
My tractor was serviced by the dealer. I was bush hogging the next day and the engine locked up. Turns out the mechanic didn't tighten the drain plug and it fell out while I was bush hogging.
Dealer has started tearing down the engine and found an idler that had frozen. The cylinder walls all look good with no scoring. He wants to replace that and call it a day. Thoughts on that approach versus a total rebuild or replacement

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I would want to have a good look at the main and rod bearings. Also the rocker shaft and bearings. They don't need to make it better than it was, just as good as it was. Is it turboed, if so then it needs to be looked at also.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My tractor was serviced by the dealer. I was bush hogging the next day and the engine locked up. Turns out the mechanic didn't tighten the drain plug and it fell out while I was bush hogging.
Dealer has started tearing down the engine and found an idler that had frozen. The cylinder walls all look good with no scoring. He wants to replace that and call it a day. Thoughts on that approach versus a total rebuild or replacement
If tractor has 1000 hours or more.......maybe just fix it?
If tractor has less than 1,000 hours.......replace the engine!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
IF they took the credit for loose bolt........

then you should take a new engine - fixing the old has too many inherent flaws that are unseen at this time and may show up later!

Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Time for a full tear down, lack of lubrication causes a host of issues.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What does the dealer mean by a frozen idler? That seized the engine? What idler?

May be obvious to others, but if that’s his analysis of it seizing with no oil in it, I’m not getting it.

An engine locked up from sitting 10 years is one thing. Running it without oil to that point is a whole ‘nother story , IMO.

Spun bearings or other problems others mentioned are first to come to mind…not an idler….whatever idler that is…like changing a seized power steering pump if I run my truck without oil…..

I’m not as smart as I used to be. Just ask my wife….;)

Last edited:

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Ummm, no. That engine needs a complete teardown. I’d be pushing for a new engine.

Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I would trade the tractor expecting the dealer to give you the value of your tractor before the seizure.

Otherwise, every time it makes a funny sound you will be stressing that this could suddenly get worse.

Let the dealer deal with a future owner when it comes to reliability.

Dave

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1st we all assume the dealer is picking up 100% of the cost of repair......
2nd, unless it's a total teardown, I assume you'll get a 1 year warranty,100% on the engine
3rd, what's the 'idler' ? and as others have said a LOT of stuff can go wrong from no oil !

this could be a real bad 'hornet's nest' or fairly 'simple', sad the 'low oil' sensor didn't shutd own the engine PDQ.???

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
1st we all assume the dealer is picking up 100% of the cost of repair......
2nd, unless it's a total teardown, I assume you'll get a 1 year warranty,100% on the engine
3rd, what's the 'idler' ? and as others have said a LOT of stuff can go wrong from no oil !

this could be a real bad 'hornet's nest' or fairly 'simple', sad the 'low oil' sensor didn't shutd own the engine PDQ.???
Not all engines have a low oil sensor in them.

flipnout1

Equipment
L3200
Jun 16, 2022
Thanks guys, I'm going tomorrow to look at it and talk to them. I was also wondering what idler so I'll see what he's talking about tomorrow and report back. I just got the news today so am trying to understand the implications of his offer. I agree that no oil affects all things in ways that may not be obvious at first glance without a complete teardown. And this is on a low hour tractor. The dealer has accepted that they made a mistake so I'm pretty sure they will make it right.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Low hour like still under warranty low hour?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
An engine lacking lubrication to the point that it seized needs to be completely torn down and evaluated and I would personally want to see the parts.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
If you were running PTO speed bush hogging when it pulled down and stopped. Its hard to believe it didn't spin a rod bearing at the least. I wouldn't want a tractor with two hundred hours on it to have a turned crank. I would want a complete new engine or just sell him the tractor for market value with a good engine and you can buy a new one. When I was a kid my folks had a truck stop, service station and that happen to a customers truck the lube guy got call away and forgot to tighten the plug. Plug fell out on the road lost oil and spun a rod bearing. My dad bought the truck from the customer. Pulled the engine turned the crank overhauled it and the truck ended up in my dads fleet. Customer was happy and kept doing business with us until my Mom sold out a ton of years later.

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
New engine.
Doesn't matter what the parts look like.
They have oil in the crankcase for a reason.
Did the oil light come on?

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I would except nothing less than a new engine! Not your fault you paid good money for them to service your almost New tractor and lose an engine due to their mistake. Yeah it happens and somebody has to make it right.. as in completely as good as it was.

I would not want a rebuilt engine in an expensive piece of equipment like that, totally rebuilt or not.. Unless it was covered by a warrantee for a good number of years.

Don't settle for less than you know you had!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
friend sent me this link...

start around 3.15 for his 'rebuild' of a water logged diesel engine (Isuzu ? )