engine heater

2nbob

Nov 21, 2009
Colorado
I just purchased a L245DT with 895 hours. Previous owner said it was a hard start when cold. Whats best - a engine block or radiator hose heater? Whats the pro and cons of each. Are block hearters even available? This machine will be a snow mover. I have been using a Ford 2n for years. This appears to be a great site!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'm not famaliar with the block heaters but I have an L235dt and it's not too difficult to start in cold weather. Sometimes takes 2 glow plug cycles. Ck all your glow plugs and make sur there're working.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. I had a block heater in my B7200 and it sure makes a difference. Even at -25 -30 the old girl would fire up no problem.You still had to use the glow plugs , but only for about 10 to 15 seconds. It just seems to be a lot easier on the engine . :D Dusty

2nbob

Nov 21, 2009
Colorado
How do you remove the plug and which plug to you remove for the heater? How difficult of job is it to install a block heater? Thanks for the help.

hav24wheel

Equipment
L275
Oct 13, 2009
ND
I put a circulation heater on my 84 L275. I got it last year, and the previous owner would use either to start it. I don't like using that stuff. And that thing is a hard starting tractor. I plug it in for a hour, and it starts really easy now. With that type of heater, I hooked it into the lower radiator hose and "t"ed it into the bypass hose by the thermostat. It heats the block and the radiator up to around 100*

bleecker

Equipment
l245
Oct 15, 2010
new york
Hey hav24wheel, can you describe where you "teed" the line. I've been hearing about the bypass hose but where is it? Is it bypassing the water pump? I have a L245DT and don't thing I have a bypass hose. Manual doesn't show one.

Thanks

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The proper placement for the kubota block heater on the 4 cylinder "L" and all "MX" models is on the right side behind the hydraulic pump. (yes you must remove the hydraulic pump to install it!) It will fit in the frost plugs on the left side of the engine but they are not fully open ( there is just a slot behind the plug) so Kubota don't recommend you put them in there. Some dealers are though and I've heard they work ok the heater may burn out prematurely though because of the restricted flow to it.
Ed

sdo

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 20, 2012
Princeton Canada
I have just purchased a L245DT and will be installing a block heater.
Does any one have a photo of the proper location?
Is it the rear frost plug on the right side, or the centre one?
The post above says you have to remove the hydro pump, do you mean the just the pump (would help expose the rear frost plug) or remove the hydro pump drive housing (would expose the centre frost plug)?

I have also found that Zerostart calls for a 3/4" NPT tread in heater for "L" series tractors, but my L245 does not have screw in plugs.
The Zerostart catalog makes reference to a 30 mm and 35 mm non screw in heater for other Kubotas, I have measured the plugs on my engine and I come up with 1.25" or around 32 mm. I have ordered the 35 mm unit and will see if it works.

Thanks