engine dies when PTO is engaged

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ok so I see you have a pto clutch for sale in the classified section on here.... so what was the problem??

matrix$

Equipment
Kubota ZG127e
May 21, 2022
MD
Very old thread, but my Kubota ZG127e is having the same issue. Engine runs fine when PTO is not engaged, as soon as I pull it to engage it tries to start spinning but the engine just dies. Pulley at the clutch turns freely by hand when not engaged and all deck pulleys spin fine with tension removed. Any thoughts, questions, or answers very much appreciated.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Very old thread, but my Kubota ZG127e is having the same issue. Engine runs fine when PTO is not engaged, as soon as I pull it to engage it tries to start spinning but the engine just dies. Pulley at the clutch turns freely by hand when not engaged and all deck pulleys spin fine with tension removed. Any thoughts, questions, or answers very much appreciated.
Remove the deck belt from the PTO clutch, start the mower and engage the PTO. Does it stay running?

If it does, shut the engine off and raise the seat. On the top of the gas tank, you will see a fuel shut-off valve with a hose on it. Remove the hose and pull the shut-off assembly out of the tank. A pair of needle-nose pliers on top of the rubber bushing works well.
With the shut-off out, try to blow through the hose barb fitting. If the standpipe at the bottom of the valve does not have a screen, the shut-off is probably plugged with debris.

If it still dies you have an electrical problem, most likely the PTO switch itself.

Post back your results for the next guy.

matrix$

Equipment
Kubota ZG127e
May 21, 2022
MD
I will go do that right now and post a reply. Thanks for the quick response!

matrix$

Equipment
Kubota ZG127e
May 21, 2022
MD
I will go do that right now and post a reply. Thanks for the quick response!
So I removed the belt from the PTO clutch and started up. Let it run for a few minutes and then pulled up the PTO switch to engage the clutch- engine dies. Should I still check the fuel valve or is definitely electrical? I'm starting to think so at this point. I should add I just replaced the PTO switch a few days ago. Any thoughts welcomed.

matrix$

Equipment
Kubota ZG127e
May 21, 2022
MD
Remove the deck belt from the PTO clutch, start the mower and engage the PTO. Does it stay running?

If it does, shut the engine off and raise the seat. On the top of the gas tank, you will see a fuel shut-off valve with a hose on it. Remove the hose and pull the shut-off assembly out of the tank. A pair of needle-nose pliers on top of the rubber bushing works well.
With the shut-off out, try to blow through the hose barb fitting. If the standpipe at the bottom of the valve does not have a screen, the shut-off is probably plugged with debris.

If it still dies you have an electrical problem, most likely the PTO switch itself.

Post back your results for the next guy.
Also, just removed the fuel shut off valve. I was able to blow through and feel air come out of the end. The screen at the end of the standoff pipe is also still there.

Anything else you all can think of. I will have to take a look at she schematic and see what circuits are part of the PTO switch and see if it's electrical, but if you think of anything please post. I cant be the only one affected by this same thing. Thanks

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Also, just removed the fuel shut off valve. I was able to blow through and feel air come out of the end. The screen at the end of the standoff pipe is also still there.

Anything else you all can think of. I will have to take a look at she schematic and see what circuits are part of the PTO switch and see if it's electrical, but if you think of anything please post. I cant be the only one affected by this same thing. Thanks
You have an electrical problem.