Emergency /turn signal lights not operating on M7040?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Anyone had their emergency/turn signal lights stop operating but fuse tested GOOD? I heard a loud click after one flash then no lights. Flasher is $78 so I'm not wanting to buy unless necessary. I know I can check flasher supply wire for voltage but I must remove dash to access the wire.
Thanks Jim

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Anyone had their emergency/turn signal lights stop operating but fuse tested GOOD? I heard a loud click after one flash then no lights. Flasher is $78 so I'm not wanting to buy unless necessary. I know I can check flasher supply wire for voltage but I must remove dash to access the wire.
Thanks Jim

I have had flashers go bad back in the day - not on the tractors....but on old cars!

Based on what you are describing - it does sound as if the flasher unit has given up the ghost!:(

Take a bulb out of the light if you can get to it ......check that, just to say it is ok (had a trailer one time - and both brake lights were shot - thought that was odd - spent hours chasing wires, when i should have checked bulbs first)

So - both the turn and flashers are on the same relay? That would make sense.

Wonder if something got chewed up under dash. Looks like that is where you will have to head to get to the problem:(

Let us know what you find! :)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Dear TxJim:

From your description it sounds like the flasher is a mechanical type and for whatever reason the internal bimetal contact made contact and arc-ed or welded itself into the 'off' condition--or simply fried the contact point(s). Flaser units have finite lives unless they're solid state. A little water intrusion or condensation doesn't help either.

Check the fuse with a meter instead of visually. Or just change the fuse. I've had a rare fuse that checked good using an ohmmeter but showed such a high resistance it wouldn't pass current. 12-vdc test light may also be beneficial to test the fuse using the tractor battery directly.

May need a wiring schematic. Does everything else work? Might there be a secondary or main fuse also involved?

I don't know your machine but since you've got to get it apart to get to the flasher unit for replacement, I'd be inclined to take the old unit to a good parts house and see if an old Ford flasher unit might look similar or be made to fit. May have to figure out a connection (I'd leave the OEM female socket intact) and / or mounting method. Consider it a challenge before spending $78 for OEM. And by the way try online vendors for possibly better price.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
TX Jim
I have a M7040 along with a Workshop Manual.
I have not bothered to learn the Kubota model designations which show if it has a cab or not .
Could you post a picture identifying which lamp(s) are not working and I will look for material that might be helpful in my WSM.

My 7040 has yellow lights at the roof corners of the cab plus at the rear ones on the fenders.

On my tractor the turn signals are operated by a stalk on the right side of the steering column and the 4 ways have a red button on the dash. What were you using to activate the lights

Dave M7040

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Probably removing the dash is the next step (never a pleasant task).

Once you find the flasher you can find out if the feed wire is hot. Then short it to the lights and they should light up.

If that is it, then the flasher is suspect. But sometimes a generic flasher from an auto parts store will work just fine. Just make sure there are the correct number of inputs (hook-ups).

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Here is a page from my 7040 WSM concerning the flasher.
It does not look like any automotive unit which are usually 2 or 3 terminal units.

If more pages will help just ask

Dave M7040

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Dear TxJim:

Check the fuse with a meter instead of visually.
Being as I'm a former dealer service manager for over 12 yrs I did check the fuse with a VOM. I guess when it rains again so I can't cut hay I'll pull the dash panel out and check flasher with a VOM.
Thanks for reply,Jim

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Dave_eng
Thanks for your post. That will save me from looking in my WSM which I haven't had time to do.
Jim