EM Light on Kubota MX6000

davemc

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Jan 9, 2022
USA
I have a Kubota MX6000 with about 170 hours on it.

Today I was using it to mow about a 10 acre field that was not planted this year and had grown up in weed about 6-7 feet high, and very dense. There was a lot of weed seeds in the air. About half way through, I stopped and cleaned the radiator and AC screens, and blew out the radiator and AC with compressed air and got things pretty clean.

Near the end though, the EM light came on the dash, and the temperature needle was near but not in the red zone.

I have cleaned the screens again and am waiting on the engine to cool down before I restart it.

Also, I noticed that the translucent radiator fluid reservoir, which is usually only about a quarter full, was way past the full mark.

Anybody have any idea what is going on with the EM light and why the radiator fluid reservoir appears more full than usual?

Thanks

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
You may be pushing the MX6000 pretty hard…

When was the oil changed? What weight used?
When was the air filter shaken out?
Mower blades sharp?

I make the humble suggestion that instead of the HH164-32430 Kubota oil filter
(Wix 51307, Autozone S7328) (just under 4 inches long), you use either

a Wix 51515 oil filter, (a little over 5 inches long)
a Wix high flow 51515XP, (has a reinforced center to prevent filter elements from collapsing)
or the ginormous Wix 51773 (just under 7 inches long)

davemc

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Jan 9, 2022
USA
You may be pushing the MX6000 pretty hard…

When was the oil changed? What weight used?
When was the air filter shaken out?
Mower blades sharp?

I make the humble suggestion that instead of the HH164-32430 Kubota oil filter
(Wix 51307, Autozone S7328) (just under 4 inches long), you use either

a Wix 51515 oil filter, (a little over 5 inches long)
a Wix high flow 51515XP, (has a reinforced center to prevent filter elements from collapsing)
or the ginormous Wix 51773 (just under 7 inches long)
I have changed the oil once, at the first recommended time interval. According to my manual, next oil change isn't until 400 hours.

I haven't checked air filter lately, probably need to.

My mower blades are probably not very sharp... most of the hours on my tractor have been with the mower, and some of the stuff I have mowed has been pretty rough.

'Is there anything to do right now but let the engine cool down? I turned the tractor off and left it in the field when I saw the EM light.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
The radiator surge tank will have a higher level as engine temperature increases because the coolant is expanding, that is normal and the reason for that tank so that the coolant is retained in the tank rather than being expelled to the ground. As the engine cools, the fluid will return to the normal cooling loop and the tank level will drop. It is good for the environment and prevents air from being drawn into closed cooling loop.

I have not seen this type of high coolant temperature leading to potential emissions system warning on other Tier IV DPF/SCR equipped engines but Kubota wouldn't be using it if they did not see a link between high operating temperature and potential damage to the emissions system even though the coolant temperature is below the maximum safe threshold for the engine. When it comes on, you need to make sure the screens and cooling stack (radiator, A/C condenser if applicable for your model, hydraulic cooler, etc.) are all clean and if they are then you need to reduce the operating load on the tractor by reducing forward speed when the implement is putting a heavy load on the tractor such as tall grass to avoid triggering the warning again.

Quite a few Tier IV (and earlier) diesel engines will automatically reduce power developed if temperature in the exhaust system goes too high; I haven't seen the service manual on Kubota as to whether they are basing this EM warning on direct measurement of anything beyond the engine coolant temperature or if it also includes temperature sensors in the exhaust/emissions system.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have changed the oil once, at the first recommended time interval. According to my manual, next oil change isn't until 400 hours.

I haven't checked air filter lately, probably need to.

My mower blades are probably not very sharp... most of the hours on my tractor have been with the mower, and some of the stuff I have mowed has been pretty rough.

'Is there anything to do right now but let the engine cool down? I turned the tractor off and left it in the field when I saw the EM light.
Which light are you referring to? Is it #18 below? Are you getting a code too?

mx6000_instrument_panel.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You might want to check the fan belt and make sure that the air filter and radiator and/or condenser screens are clear. If the belt's loose it might not be spinning the fan up fast enough.

I was cutting some thick stuff with a flail mower a couple of weeks ago. It was 95F out and everything was hot. At one point the engine lugged due to the load on the flail and I wasn't fast enough to disengage the PTO. The engine stalled and I couldn't get it started for a couple of minutes. The needle on the temperature gauge was close to horizontal (normal) position. I don't remember seeing any warning lights staying on though.

davemc

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Jan 9, 2022
USA
To mcmxi: Yes, its number 18 in the schematic.

Update: I cleaned the screens and let engine cool down 2 hours. I looked under hood, and coolant level in the overflow reservoir w back down to what I am used to seeing. I cranked the tractor, and the EM light did not come on. I drove the tractor back to the house. Engine temperature gauge never made it above half way and the EM light did not come on during the drive home.

I will clean the radiators with compressed air tomorrow and check the air filter.

Someone asked about oil change, and I have changed the oil once at the first recommended interval. I dont remember what that was, but think it was 50 hours. I am now at 170 hours. From my reading of the manual, next oil change isn't til 400 hours. That seems kind of long, especially operating in hot temperatures (it was low 90s this afternoon when I had my problem.

Am I ok waiting til 400 hours for second oil change?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the manual outlines oil change intervals

If I remember right, it specifies 400, but then in footnotes elsewhere it says that in different conditions you should change it sooner. So you'll wanna read into it a little more.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That 400 hours is probably transmission fluid not engine oil

You probably are late on engine oil change but your manual will be the best guide or the dealer can tell you what interval is good for oil change

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia

Yep, 200 hours on oil. Capacity is around 7.5 quarts, using a Kubota filter.
Using the Wix 51515 or the two quart 51773 filter, I suggest the 2.5 gallon (10 quart) container…
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel Engine Motor Oil, 2.5 Gallon
https://www.walmart.com/ip/847530443

I suggest Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 if your use includes cold weather operation.
If hot weather only, Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. 15W-40…

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
After several days of rotary cutting, I had the same experience. Shut it down, cleaned the radiator screen and find, and removed the air filter and blew that out. No problems since.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For those of you saying 200 hours for the oil change, I guess you don't read the manual. It clearly states 50 hours and then every 400 hours. Personally, I'll change the oil more often than that, but let's stick with the facts as specified by Kubota.

The transmission oil filter gets changed every 200 hours.

service_schedule.jpg

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I was taught 50 hours for conventional oil,
100 hours for semi-synthetic,
and 200 for full synthetic in the military…

I would have a Blackstone Labs test run at 200 hours just before the oil change,
they will tell you how much TBN is left, so you will know if you can stretch the oil change to 250…

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would have a Blackstone Labs test run at 200 hours just before the oil change,
they will tell you how much TBN is left, so you will know if you can stretch the oil change to 250…
Spend $40 to possibly extend the life of the oil by 50 hours? Seriously?

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
More than just a TBN test, it also tells you the health of your engine…

Running on every 800-1000 hours or so is probably a good idea…
@davemc has a new MX6000 that has a factory warranty so all he has to do is standard maintenance, or if he's motivated then he can do more than specified, such as change the oil sooner than 400 hours. I wouldn't spend a penny sending oil samples out for analysis for these tractors. Put the money towards oil and filters. No need to over complicate this.