Electrical damage caused by rodent 2004 Kubota B7610

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
with the correct tool the internals of the plug can be removed and you could solder and replace the wires without a new plug or harness

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
with the correct tool the internals of the plug can be removed and you could solder and replace the wires without a new plug or harness
Where there is a will, there is a way!

It looks like even in the worst case you have enough copper sticking out of the plug to solder to. You could solder wires to these stubs and connect them to the existing wires using butt connectors. Using heat shrink tubing for insulation after soldering.

Of course if you can get the pins out of the plug, solder on new wires, and out the back in, that would be preferable.

Once you price a Kubota wiring harness this option will look more MUCH more favorable than you might think at the moment. ;)

Getting the pins out and back in is the obstacle. Do one at a time or keep good notes and picture.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Usually with a very thin (jewellers) screwdriver or dental pick you can carefully depress the sliver of 'pin' as you gently pull on the wire, to remove the pin.You'll probably have to gently press the 'retaining sliver' out a bit before you reinstall later.
do this ONE at a time. Now cut off the stub of wire, solder say a 6" length of new wire (kinda colour coded NOT all 'red' wires...),reinstall the pin. Repeat for the rest of them.
Now,trim off the harness end of a wire, solder/heatshrink/tug. Repeat for the rest.
Once you've confirmed ALL wires function properly THEN wrap in black electrical tape.

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
I would recommend replacing the entire harness if you can get it

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would recommend replacing the entire harness if you can get it
The seasoned members of the forums realize that the green that it takes to replace rather than repair doesn't grow on trees. This is why we try to help each other to save some green, so we can afford to buy more orange.

Reactions: 3 users

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
So for the heck of it I checked the parts catalog on Messicks. It looks like the harness is p/n 6C190-55460. At a cost of $1200, like others have said, you probably better off trying to fix it.

• Wow

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I have repaired far worse when restoring vintage ham radio gear. Someone with decent soldering skills can use a small amount of wire and heat shrink tubing to repair that in a few minutes.

NOTE: A decent hot air gun is much better for heat shrink tubing when working near the plug itself. Trying to use a match, candle, or other open flame near the plug housing can create a much worse repair situation.

This Kyoritsu RA-003B commercial/marine receiver (another finely designed and built Japanese product) had extensive rodent damage to its wiring when I acquired it. Some significant wiring work retained the existing harnesses (which aren't available at any price being long out of production) along with a replacement decoder IC resulted in a receiver working just like it did when it rolled off the production line in Japan.

Rodger
RA003B top view.JPG
Kyoritsu RA003B.JPG

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So for the heck of it I checked the parts catalog on Messicks. It looks like the harness is p/n 6C190-55460. At a cost of $1200, like others have said, you probably better off trying to fix it.
Suppose any of the salvage yards might have a used harness?
It is an 18 year old tractor.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That doesn't look all that bad to me, there is wire extending out of the connector for all the wires. Some solder, wire and shrink tube will fix that up no problem. I've successfully fixed much worse messes than that.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
That damage is very repairable. Take your time. Clean wire, soldered joints, marine heat shrink tubing. Quality work will make it good as new.
Last time I cleaned out a rats nest, I twist-tied some sandwich bags with d-con and dropped them in there.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
AS others have stated; take your time. You will use more time troubleshooting a error, than you will double/triple checking your work, one step at a time. Take notes, pictures, make little diagrams as needed. This is not complicated work, just very time consuming.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
If you opt to re-pin the connectors.........check out this YouTube

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Yes I completely understand but it never pays to go cheap. What else did they eat :)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes I completely understand but it never pays to go cheap. What else did they eat :)
More importantly what will they eat again? It would be full hardy to spend $1200 on a wire harness when a simple repair will fix the issue.

I have read that new wiring insulation is made with a soy based product that attracts rodents. New wiring harness might even be more tasty!

No question what I would do… :)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think you should be able to bill the government for the damage. Wildlife belong to the government, kill a deer without a permit and you get to find out. So, since the mice are not your pets, but wildlife, you should be able to send the government a bill for the damage their animals did to your tractor. If your dog got out and bit someone, you would have to pay for the damages.

We need to hold the government accountable for the actions of their creatures. :p

• Haha

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
More importantly what will they eat again? It would be full hardy to spend $1200 on a wire harness when a simple repair will fix the issue.

I have read that new wiring insulation is made with a soy based product that attracts rodents. New wiring harness might even be more tasty!

Both soy and peanut oil have been used at times as part of the insulation base mix but even with old fashioned petroleum based insulation, mice love to chew.

Rabbits are even worse so it is good that they don't attack tractors. I used a kevlar based guy material for one of my ham radio antenna towers and I came out one spring day to find two of the three guys hanging loose from the rabbits chewing through it.

I replaced the first few feet of kevlar with regular EHS steel strands to defeat bugs bunny and friends. Rabbits need to gnaw to keep their teeth ground down and apparently one or more of them thought my expensive synthetic guy "wire" was the perfect dental floss :(

Rodger

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada

Kubota does not use that type of wire, its was mostly found in the automotive industry but not limited obviously