Electric quit

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
A week or so ago with the great help from folks on the forum I replaced the copper washers to fix an injector leak on my L295DT. I was running the starter several times about 10 to 15 seconds at a time to prime the system. The starter was turning over reasonably well. Then on the 4th try the starter stopped and no electric of any kind.

Checked battery it was nearly full but put a final charge to bring it up. Still no electric of any kind. Is there an overload fuse or some main fuse that could have blown? Thanks again
Randy

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
If you have checked both ends of the battery cables the next place to look would be the main fuse located on the firewall. Most of the time they are not blow just lose. Also check your glass fuses.
Good luck Lance

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
Checked battery connection Good. checked fuse at panel look good and have power to both sides as switch is turned. Switch seems good. I used to get a low oil light and charge light on when switch turned to on. Then they went off when tractor started. Now they are off. No juice to glow plug either when I turn key to the left.

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
Cleaned off the fuse area with contact cleaner. I did notice that the fuse terminal 2nd from bottom had 11 volts instead of 12+. Trying to figure what each fuse is to.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have marked up a L295 wiring diagram to show the wires, fuse and switches involved in a no crank situation.

Starting from the main battery terminal on the starter, there is a heavy gauge red wire that is the main power supply to the main switch and the rest of your machine. There is a 40 amp fuse separate from the glass fuses.

The main output wire from the alternator connects downstream of this fuse.

The main switch feeds the start switch with no fuse involved.

The wire I have marked in green is the circuit which triggers the starter. There is a safety switch in this circuit. Likely on the clutch pedal but I am not certain.

If this switch has failed your engine will not crank.

All glass fuses have nothing to do with the engine cranking.

Dave

Attachments

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Checked battery connection Good.
Did you check/clean/tighten the B+ connection at the starter and the B- connection at the frame? WITH THE TRACTOR IN NEUTRAL, does the starter work when you CAREFULLY jump the 2 starter terminals? Large is B+ ... Small is solenoid energize.

Last edited:

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
Thanks Dave for the wiring diagram. I have 12.75 volts at starter, both sides of the thermal fuse, the main switch on all lugs as key is turned, the starter switch for both the glow plugs and starter as switch is turned. The clutch pedal switch tested good.
Still no glow plugs or starter. Scratching my head.
Randy

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks Dave for the wiring diagram. I have 12.75 volts at starter, both sides of the thermal fuse, the main switch on all lugs as key is turned, the starter switch for both the glow plugs and starter as switch is turned. The clutch pedal switch tested good.
Still no glow plugs or starter. Scratching my head.
Randy
Measuring voltage can be misleading. A high resistance (poor) connection can allow enough current to flow to be able to measure voltage but as soon as the circuit has to deliver significant amps the poor connection breaks down.

Try and follow the Positive and Negative voltage drop tests in this attached document from DENSO.

http://densoautoparts.com/Portals/D...s/file/DENSO Starter troubleshooting tips.pdf

These two tests will tell you almost all the time where your problem lies.

Dave

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
I tried the system voltage drop test and voltage dropped from 12.71 to 12.56 with the load tester. These readings were with the black lead hooked to the negative terminal. When I ground the black lead to the frame I get 2 or more volt drop in both sides.
Additionally the voltage at all the points from main switch to starter switch drop significantly when black lead hooked to ground. I made sure to grind paint off at grounding location.
I also get 12.7 volts at the light terminal at the main switch but no lights. I cant remember if lights came on without engine running or not.

I have voltage to the terminals at the glow plug indicator but it does not glow. Again all these voltage reading are reduced when grounded to frame.
Thanks again
Randy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I'm understanding the results of your tests, it sounds like you have a ground connection / cable issue.

This is where a simple test light can help you out.

First at the battery connect the clip end to positive and probe the battery and then the frame, than any other metal around it, you should get a light everywhere metal that you touch the probe.

If that's good go to the starter and clip the wire to any clean metal and probe the battery + connection at the starter, then move to the feed wire back to the dash.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This sounds similar to a the problem I had with a Volvo SternDrive Starter. It would occasionally stop on a dead-spot on the armature/commutator. If I manipulated the starter to rotate to ANY other position, it would work fine for several starts...until it landed on that particular spot on the commutator again. (It was one dead coil on only one pole of the armature.)

Complete replacement of starter.....or armature....or rewinding the armature would have repaired it. (Cheaper to buy an aftermarket from AutoZone than to buy or repair that original Bosch starter.).

Is your solenoid engaging? If not, then it may be onoy that solenoid.

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
Got it. Thanks
Glow plugs culprit appears to be corrded switch terminal. Starter Culprit was corroded terminals on clutch switch. Switch was good. The temperature gage and oil and charging lights was the fuse block. Fuse was good but just not getting contact on the down side of the terminal.

My question is why this all happened while half way though starting the tractor. Oh well
Thanks again
Randy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My question is why this all happened while half way though starting the tractor.

Because your lucky? :rolleyes: :p :D

Glad you got to the bottom or top of it!
Not the time of year we want issues like these! ;)