Electric Cars - 12 minutes worth watching

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The problem is a BEV should have the same range as the ICE it replaces. we all EXPECT that as the MINIMUM.....cheaper to run would be a bonus....

curious as to what a set of batteries for a golf cart cost, and usuful years from them ?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The problem is a BEV should have the same range as the ICE it replaces. we all EXPECT that as the MINIMUM.....cheaper to run would be a bonus....

curious as to what a set of batteries for a golf cart cost, and usuful years from them ?
Sams Club has them for $119.88 each, the number you need depends on your cart. Life would be the same as a car battery.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh.. if 4 batteries... $120*4 *1.3*1.13 so over $800 Canucks (need 4 'core charges' though..)
Assume they last 5 years , 'good' for a car battery here, so $160 per year battery cost + recharge costs.

acruxksa

Equipment
LX2610, lx2963, bb2572
Jan 15, 2024
Anchorage, Alaska
We live on a planet with a finite amount of oil. We have to do something eventually. Many very valid points were raised in this video, but, no suggestions on a better way to go.
Yes and no. Peak oil was predicted to happen 20 yrs ago. It's even farther away today than ever. The only truth that I have figured out in my life is that we consistently underestimate the enginuity of the past and the future. Oil will be around for another 100+ years simply because we will get better at finding it and better at using it.

That being said, I'm a rare bird in that I'm pro oil (Born and raised Alaskan) but own an electric car and hybrid truck. (also a 20yr old Chevy and 40yr old jeep) I've put both through their paces for the last 2 years and have some insight on the matter. First and foremost.........there isn't enough refined copper on the planet today to run the wires necessary for an all electric vehicle eco system. Fact! Second, electric cars ONLY make sense today as a second or third vehicle, not as an ONLY vehicle. Third, they are 1 or 2 decades away from being viable in northern states and any push by California to make them required is an outright attack on anyone who lives in a location with less than moderate year round temperatures.

We've had an all electric vehicle for 2 years. It's perfect for my wife %90 of the time. However, the range decreases by over %25 in the winter when you factor in occupant heat and winter tires. This is a BIG deal in Alaska where it's 370 miles from the largest city to the second largest city and there are only 2 fast chargers on the route (which may or may not be working ;) ) people die on this road.......thankfully not as frequently now as in the past.

That being said, I love my Ford f150 power boost (bought so I could charge my wife's car in an emergency, but turned out to be far more useful than originally anticipated. 7.2kw onboard generator).
And my wife's all electric audi etron, bought because her 2016 Volvo xc90 had an engine failure and replacement at 53k miles, then a turbo failure and replacement at 58k miles and Volvo charged us almost $10k for repairs And kept the car in the shop for over 4 months.......2yrs and 2months 28k miles on the etron and only $400 for a checkup and new wiper blades. Best part of it is that my wife leaves the garage every morning with a full charge......that and it only cost me about $300 to change 20 60w fluorescent bulbs for 20 11w bulbs which covers 1/4 of the cost of charging her car every day.

Tldr; electric vehicles are not ready for prime time, but do have a place in some circumstances.

Long first post ;)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I replaced my 4-12v "Club Car" batteries last Spring.
$1,200 with core charge applied.
Previous owner batteries that I took out, were 7 years old.

Cart is stored for the Winter, so is now connected to a 48 volt maintenance charger.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sams Club has them for $119.88 each, the number you need depends on your cart. Life would be the same as a car battery.
"$119.88 each"....... Not quite!

NEEDED: Trojan T-1275 - 4 of 'em-- at least $1200 (+tax) total, anywhere you look!
Any other battery type/size/brand is simply a POOR CHOICE!
Lithium would be best, but THEY are CRAZY expensive!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The battery pack for F150 lightning is about $23K, about 1/3rd the cost of the whole truck. No way battery will last 8 years,that's 8 REAL years, here in southern Ontario.
A lot of insurance companies are rewriting 'policies' about parking EVs in attached garages,shh, it's supposed to be a secret....
No one ever looks at cost (true cost) to get the lithium for the batteries let alone the impact when a battery making plant has a 'booboo'. Ontario is set to have THREE plants here 'soon',for sure one WILL have a 'meltdown' or worse.... 'spill on 401'..that'll shutdown ALL traffic from Windsor to Toronto.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: ...... to change 20 60w fluorescent bulbs for 20 11w bulbs which covers 1/4 of the cost of charging her car every day.

the math doesn't make sense to me

changing 1 light saves you 60-11w of energy ,call it 50 watts. So 20 x 50 = 1,000 watts ( 1Kw).
'1/4 cost every day...'... means you're only putting in 4Kw of energy into her car ? That'd be a 120/15 circuit running for less than 3 hours .

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
The battery pack for F150 lightning is about $23K, about 1/3rd the cost of the whole truck. No way battery will last 8 years,that's 8 REAL years, here in southern Ontario.
A lot of insurance companies are rewriting 'policies' about parking EVs in attached garages,shh, it's supposed to be a secret....
No one ever looks at cost (true cost) to get the lithium for the batteries let alone the impact when a battery making plant has a 'booboo'. Ontario is set to have THREE plants here 'soon',for sure one WILL have a 'meltdown' or worse.... 'spill on 401'..that'll shutdown ALL traffic from Windsor to Toronto.
Here are some actual battery replacement costs:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
"$119.88 each"....... Not quite!

NEEDED: Trojan T-1275 - 4 of 'em-- at least $1200 (+tax) total, anywhere you look!
Any other battery type/size/brand is simply a POOR CHOICE!
Lithium would be best, but THEY are CRAZY expensive!
Our Clubcar uses (6) 8 volt Trojans which cost $920 installed with all new 4 ga cables all most 2 yrs ago. We seem to get 7-8 yrs out of these. Check water regularly & hookup charger at every use. If weather is half decent my Wife uses it everyday around our Acerage.
I'm also pro oil. Let the technology develope WITHOUT govt forcing us to an inferior technology that could be much better. Lithium batteries should get much more affordable in a few years with the oil/gas well saltwater extraction method . Big problem with the saltwater is not all wells have enough lithium to go after. Just one county over fro me the wells there are extremely rich in lithium where the well we own interest in across the road has zip.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
We live on a planet with a finite amount of oil. We have to do something eventually.
That's what the Fake News wants us to believe, but not according to this scientist.

According to him, CO2 is not responsible for "climate change", but is actually a good thing as well.

Unless you have a TCN membership (Tucker Carlson Network), you should watch it now, before YouTube bans it.

Edit: Here is the link to his research if anyone is inclined to prove him wrong.....Which is what real scientists do.

https://www.ceres-science.com/

Last edited: