Electric Cars - 12 minutes worth watching

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
This administration has definitely put the cart before the horse. Some common sense would go a long way in figuring out the gradual shift to electric vehicles

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
John Stossel is a VERY interesting character, a bit eccentric, drives a VW beetle convertible..... and is an all around nice guy.
He lives near me, and is a good friend of my son.

Last edited:

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
We live on a planet with a finite amount of oil. We have to do something eventually. Many very valid points were raised in this video, but, no suggestions on a better way to go.

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I didn't have 12 minutes, but isn't the solution to go hybrid in the mean time?

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just learned yesterday that the local power company co-op will loan customers an electric car for a few days at no charge (no pun intended). Either a Tesla Model Y or Rivian R1T. Sounds interesting.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I had a Chevy Bolt that was a great commuter car as I worked 58 miles away(one way)((4 day work week)). I just plugged it in every night(installed a Chargepoint 220 volt 80 amp charger in garage) and in was nice and warm to drive to work. No longer had a $400 a month gas station bill and the electric bill only went up about $130 a month.

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a Chevy Volt as my daily. In a nutshell I've had it for just over 5 years now. Bought it new in 2018. Have lost about 1 mile of range in the battery since it was new. Super cheap to drive and I can go anywhere. The battery is good for about 50-55 miles and then the gas motor kicks in. It averages out to $0.041 a mile to drive. The money I save goes to stuff I want rather than to the oil company.

Reactions: 3 users

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
After EVERY government vehicle (police, fire, ambulance, school bus, every form of transportation a government official uses, etc.) has been switched to electric I will worry about mine. In the meantime I will stick with our hybrids, and Diesel.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I now have 7 k miles on my Lightning. Never had to use a fast charger. Just charge at home. About the same as paying one dollar for a gallon of gas with cost of home charging.
For any long trips, we take our ICE Vehicle.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
After EVERY government vehicle (police, fire, ambulance, school bus, every form of transportation a government official uses, etc.) has been switched to electric I will worry about mine. In the meantime I will stick with our hybrids, and Diesel.
Yep. Rules for the peons. Not for the elite. Shoot, the government diesels don't even have the same emissions systems that you and I are forced to have.
For those saying how inexpensive it is to run your EVs and charge them at home....just wait. The utility will be raising rates yet again and again and again to build the infrastructure needed once 80% of the peons go electric when they mandate it be so. Hell, Pepco already told DC not to go all electric for new construction or risk blackouts. They can't support it. So DC backed down. Going electric is not efficient nor feasible in the next 50 years. At least.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Once everyone is on EV, it's easy to raise more tax revenue by simply upping the cost to power them. Yep, they can figure out who is using an EV simply by requiring you to add a meter that they can read to your power circuit.

This has little to do with climate and much to do with control.

Reactions: 3 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I would bet you would also be complaining if the police cars cost $60k each and the town/city had to double your taxes to pay for them. As for a fire truck REALLY? Being a diesel tractor forum you do realize the diesel engine also powers the PTO which in turns powers the water pumps. As for electric vehicles being more cost effective, yes they are examples are a Madison WI private taxi company all Model 3 Teslas, Sparta WI(small town of 30k) private company only run Prius cars, mostly 200k-300k on them. Several cities have either bought Tesla's, Bolts, Volts, Kia's or whatever, but the general population then has a fit over the price not realizing the big picture of less maintance on them is actually a cost savings. Oh and side benefit it is better for the environment unless we all start taking the train or a bus.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I'm sure each police cruiser already costs well over 60k, I think the main argument I see is being forced vs still having a choice. If the EV or hybrid fits your budget/lifestyle go for it they certainly have their place for SOME individuals. I am however in extreme opposition of being forced into just about anything by either local, state or federal governments.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Prices for a new 2022 Ford Police Interceptor Utility currently range from $41,325 to $59,175. This is from truecar. And from Inside EV's

We’ve covered stories about several police departments switching from older gas cars straight to Teslas (usually Model 3s), but now we’re starting to hear about the benefits they offer over ICEs. Aside from from the performance and no tailpipe emissions, it turns out a Model 3 is considerably less of a financial burden once purchased.

Yes, EVs are still more expensive to buy outright, but according to The EV Club of Connecticut, they are actually cheaper to run and maintain in the long run. It analyzed data from the Westport Police Department, which purchased its first Tesla Model 3 in late 2019 and it entered active service in January 2020.

The police department’s existing fleet consisted of Ford Explorer SUVs that cost around $37,000 to buy, compared to the Tesla Model 3’s $52,290 acquisition price. That’s a $15,290 difference, but based on information supplied in the source article, the Model 3 ended up saving them money.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Local city could have bought 250 battery buses to replace ALL of the diesel, EVERYONE could have access to them and 3/4 of a billion$ saved for other projects. City dictator, er, father, demands an LRT (new school streetcar ) thatless than 1% of the taxpayers can use, yearly costs are huge, and when ONE switch failes in winter the entire LRT system is down have to use diesel buses ! unless city sells them off like the snowplows they did.....
I looked at Lightning,even with my discounts, I don't need a 4 door,open trunked vehicle that cannot get to my SIL's place on a single charge.Actually did the energy analysis (have the data) and even with turning off all loads(radio,heaters,USB,wifi,A/C,infoscreen,defrost,nav tools, etc.),no passengers, no cargo, no trailer still can't go the distance.
Anyone who doesn't need a fast charger, doesn't USE a vehicle at least not like the rest usually do. You can't be driving to work unless real close. Getting 50 miles on a battery,doesn't get 99% of the commuters where I live to work,oopsy. I'm waiting for the traffic jams on the QEW or 401 caused by 2 or 3 EV's losing their power.
EVs and hybrids have a very,very,very tiny segment in 'transportation' .
As for true costs, while slightly cheaper to run, you MUST include purchase price AND battery replacement costs when you compare to ICE cars. What's never,ever reported in 'tests' is the PITA wait at the charging stations while you make a trip. Gas fillup....10 minutes. Battery fillup, hours......

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Nothing in the universe is static. Nature will do it's own thing long after we are gone. The natural order is we are born, we consume all our locally available resources, we pollute, and we die. Modern technology has allowed us to expand what "local" means. The more we consume - the more we pollute - the cycle gets shorter. It's been like that for ten thousand years. It will be like that as long as human culture exists.

The issue is we have a consumer culture and our north american lifestyles are unsustainable. Period. Electric cars and "carbon taxes" won't change this fact.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Until I hit that deer with my Bolt(12 points equals 20K in damage) I never charged it anywhere but at work and home, in the middle of a Wisconsin winter I could go to work and back with no worries about the battery going dead and that was 116 miles a day. Why must you include the battery replacement cost when comparing? Do you include the price of a fuel pump or the cost of the engine? Yes, some of the costs are different, but I still have the car charger in my garage(Chargepoint 80 amps) that is good for any other electric vehicle out there. Yes, my brother has charged his Model 3 here, not because he had too just its easy to plug in while eating supper and hanging out.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
Don't forget gas tax. The revenues will go down sharply and they will have to tax you on the amount of miles you travel. Someone has to pay for the roads. Here they do yearly inspection so can see how many miles you traveled and then bull you accordingly

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Say it with me folks....... Law of Conservation of Energy.

The guy in the video should have pointed this out, but I don't think it matters anyway.

To get a vehicle "X" number of miles requires you OR the power plant have to burn "Y" amount of fuel to generate "Z" Joules of energy. You choose the fuel, it don't matter........It's quite literally a "zero sum game".

There is no free lunch in physics.

It's all about bamboozling the people to get more control/power/money.
1680094176719.png

Last edited: