Early but figured I would ask now about mower deck

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So yeah, we've got wind howling at 50+ mph -10 wind chill so lawn mowing is still a ways off. But, wanting to get my ducks in a row. One thing I have noticed while mowing with the Kubota is if there is a slight dip or sway in the soil it will scalp the grass (mostly on the center "front") blade position. The anti scalp roller is in place and not damaged but seems useless to me. Is there a larger one or an adjustment to the deck somehow that will stop this annoyance. FWIW I had kind of the same thing happen on my old Honda tractor but never on my Simplicity or my Allis B series. Of course they used that large roller to follow the contour of the ground and never scalped. While the Honda and Kubota simply "hang" under the machine

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you have a suspended deck.

the wheels don't ride the ground all the time, rather, you're supposed to drop the deck to what cut height you desire, and adjust the height of the wheels so that they are 1/4 to 1/2" between teh bottom of the wheel and the ground. Normally this takes care of any scalping, UNLESS it's a little berm right in the middle where there are no wheels. If it's on your G2160, keep in mind that the G2160 is an oudated deck design. they cut decent, but not great.

also make sure the deck is level side to side and front to rear. You can pitch the deck down in front up to about 1/4" and it'll make it cut easier, but not better.

if u have a bent blade you will see this scalping happen much more! Also happens more on the 60 and 72 decks than the 48 and 54 (which deck do you have?) 72" didn't come on a 2610, just 48 and 60 I think. maybe a 54? I don't remember. I had one with a 48" rear discharge. Liked it but hated the power steering with a passion. The one thing I really liked about it was that I could back up to the neighbor's fenceline and dump clippings quickly and go back to mowing. Fast mower. Traded it for a G1900 which I liked a lot better.

what cut height? If you are below 3", it's likely too low. I don't like to go much lower than 3" for any grass.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
It's the 60". Yeah I realize it's the suspended design. I never owned that type until I bought that little Honda 4514HST. It was a 42" deck and did the same (only less) than the Kubota. Truth be told I don't like the 60" deck. Just too large and unwieldly for me to handle for servicing and my yard conditions (lumpy irregular ground, culverts and so on). I keep it at max height or one click lower BTW. It seems the worst scalping is coming from the center (front) blade. It has all new spindles and bearings and new blades as well. So nothing bent or hurt under there. It's even side to side and I have the side scalp wheels adjusted per manual like you said. It just seems the front wants to "dig" a bit on uneven ground. So I wondered if there is a front to back "tilt" adjustment as there is side to side.
The decks were one thing I really liked about my old Allis B and my Simplicity Sovereign. They never scalped even if you cut down to putting green height.