EA vs Homestead

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I am guessing this is the new Ford Chevy argument. If you have one you find any reason to discredit the other. 30k tensile strength and you think you can break that with a 33 HP tractor?? If you do, you are abusing your equipment waaay more than I do. I have the Homestead Pinnacle root grapple, I have moved logs and boulders heavy enough to float back end with filled tires and backhoe, so, not being gentle. What I do not do is "ram" trees to push them over, that is what a chainsaw is for. Imho, the Homestead is equal to the EA, although I have no experience with the EA. As with any equipment, proper usage is key. I hope the OP finds what he needs. Sorry, had to vent, the EA users seem fanatical. Cheers, all, stay safe.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Imho, the Homestead is equal to the EA, although I have no experience with the EA.
So if you have no experience with the EA how can you possibly make a statement about parity? That's kind of ridiculous. I have an EA grapple as others do too, but non have claimed that EA is better than Homestead. We've discussed facts such as the material used, the cost, lead times and videos showing success and failure. It's up to the individual to figure out what's best for them. Why get so bent out of shape? Oh, you're a Homestead owner so that's to be expected. :ROFLMAO: Just a joke so don't take it to heart. As I've said before, most of us would be happy with whatever we buy ... until such a time as we break it.

Homestead appears to be a good company but their response to the damaged grapple wasn't the best. That's the biggest issue here for me. Constant improvement is a good thing and they deserve credit for improving the grapple if that's what they've done.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I was very clear about having no experience with the EA, many claim the EA is better than anything. I like my Homestead, it is a solid piece of fabrication. Take your pick and good luck. Always someone trying to create drama. It is just steel.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was very clear about having no experience with the EA, many claim the EA is better than anything. I like my Homestead, it is a solid piece of fabrication. Take your pick and good luck. Always someone trying to create drama. It is just steel.
What drama? You're the one with all the opinions whether it's about EA owners, how to properly use a grapple or products you have no experience with. You like your Homestead. Good. That's one data point for someone who's keeping track. No one else in this thread has explicitly stated that A is better than B, or that A is equal to B ... except you. We're all just presenting data as it appears and letting the chips fall where they may. You're free to post links to videos that show how EA grapples are overpriced garbage.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
So that video of the guy bent his grapple, well , he ABUSED it !! Plain and simple. If I was the MFR and saw his video, sorry, ZERO wearranty...OBVIOUS ABUSE.
Humour me guys, but isn't a GRAPPLE supposed to be used to grab and carry stuff NOT be ABUSED as a wanna be bulldozer blade ??
I'm sure I saw it posted here that 'we' shouldn't use our tractors as BULLDOZERS, probably cause loader frame geometry isn't the same as bulldozer blade mechanicals....

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So that video of the guy bent his grapple, well , he ABUSED it !! Plain and simple. If I was the MFR and saw his video, sorry, ZERO wearranty...OBVIOUS ABUSE.
Humour me guys, but isn't a GRAPPLE supposed to be used to grab and carry stuff NOT be ABUSED as a wanna be bulldozer blade ??
I'm sure I saw it posted here that 'we' shouldn't use our tractors as BULLDOZERS, probably cause loader frame geometry isn't the same as bulldozer blade mechanicals....
He damaged the grapple lid pulling not pushing so what are the "bulldozer" comments about? And it's nothing more than opinion that he abused the grapple. Where is the damage on the EA grapple shown in the video link where Ted is probably abusing the grapple compared to what most of us would do?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: He damaged the grapple lid pulling not pushing so what are the "bulldozer" comments about?

very early 6-10 minutes)in the video ,he's PUSHING a tree down(takes several tries at it), maybe 8-10" round..that to me is 'bulldozing' NOT 'grappling'. He even says 'well I bent the frame',trying to pull a stump out. We only get to see a few minutes of the 8 hours he says he used it.

It's clearly NOT the correct implement for tree removal, a grapple is designed to grab and carry LOOSE materials, not extricate trees out of the ground. THAT requires something better suited for the task like a bulldozer, excavator,hand shovel, etc.
It'd be interesting to hear what grapple manufacturers say on HOW to use their grapples

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
very early 6-10 minutes)in the video ,he's PUSHING a tree down(takes several tries at it), maybe 8-10" round..that to me is 'bulldozing' NOT 'grappling'. He even says 'well I bent the frame',trying to pull a stump out. We only get to see a few minutes of the 8 hours he says he used it.
The damage shown is clearly from pulling on a tree root, branch or stump. Look at the direction of the bend in the lid. He didn't crush the lid in while "bulldozing". He bent the lid out while pulling. EA extends the DOM tube through the outer frame so you can see the wall thickness of the tubing (on the old design). The fact that Homestead mentioned upgrading the lid to Sch. 80 pipe is indicative of the design not being strong enough ... initially at least.

Homestead's upgraded grapple might be a whole lot stronger. I don't know if the one shown in the video was a pre or post upgrade but we should all want lots of quality choices. I hope that Homestead continues to improve their products and their customer service.

Last edited:

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
He was CLEARLY abusing it as you can see in the video. Homestead has a different 620 LB 'utility grapple' that's for 60+ HP tractors. He was using the 'compact tractor grapple' for under 60 HP tractors on a utility MX tractor with 55-65 HP (not sure which model he has). He was a the limit of the grapple... it only weighs 300 LB and should have gotten the utility grapple properly sized for the tractor. He is bulldozing pretty huge trees, but he did the damage pulling a 6+ inch tree stump in the ground:

What do you think would happen with the 200 LB wicked 55 grapple if you tried to use it on a MX6400 like that? EA also posts on their page not to use the top lid like that... its for grabbing loose material or racking. This isn't a 1000 LB skidsteer grapple that can be used for bulldozing large trees...shrubs and saplings sure.

Fact is he was able to clear up some really huge trees without damage despite 'abusing it' on such a tractor. If you're using it on a smaller tractor, you'd never have a problem. If that MX could do so well, a tractor half the size / power wouldn't be enough do damage it.

I do agree that homestead should have replaced the lid as it's their fault they sold him an undersized grapple. This is a grey area though... the tractor is at the upper end of what they support and it would have worked fine IF HE USED IT WITH CARE. At bear minimum, he didn't buy an oversized grapple...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What do you think would happen with the 200 LB wicked 55 grapple if you tried to use it on a MX6400 like that? EA also posts on their page not to use the top lid like that... its for grabbing loose material or racking.
I don't have to think, I can watch the video of Ted doing just that with the 239lb Wicked 55. Go back to my post #32 and watch that video.

I've said this so many times but EA is the ONLY company that I'm aware of making these sorts of videos where they abuse their own equipment. Why is that

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I don't have to think, I can watch the video of Ted doing just that with the 239lb Wicked 55. Go back to my post #32 and watch that video.

I've said this so many times but EA is the ONLY company that I'm aware of making these sorts of videos where they abuse their own equipment. Why is that
Ya I've seen EA videos of them testing on an oversized tractor. And he actually showed how he DID bend tines a little bit with disclaimer it was testing on larger tractor. HOWEVER he didn't intentionally use top lid to bulldoze or pull stump etc. They state NOT TO DO THIS on their site as well.

If you buy ANY light weight grapple, stick or on an oversized tractor, and use it improperly, you WILL damage it. This goes for homestead, EA, land pride, and any other brands. Thus the problem here isn't homestead specific, though how they handled the customer service part is on them...honestly they could have just said 'we don't sell grapple lids, but you can buy a whole new one' like land pride probably would have. Knowing that you can screw up a ~3k grapple and get it fixed for $850 (delivered) isn't all that too bad. If anything breaks, it will be the lid on these.

I guess with EA, you'll be waiting 6 months for a new lid (even if they offered this)? I guarantee if you call EA saying you bent your grapple pulling out a tree stump using an oversized tractor, they're not going to be like 'oh NO PROBELM... we'll send you a new grapple right away!' They'll say you must pay for a new one or at least repairs...otherwise they wont stay in business too long.

Surely nobody here is thinking 'let me wait 6+ months to an EA grapple because it wont bend when I abuse it.' Your best bet for that is not a magical EA grapple, but common sense on how to use it. An oversized grapple from any brand will help, but only so much...of course there is a question of 'how overbuilt'. Problem with grapples is everyone wants the lightest weight, yet the strongest...there is a balance and a point where you can't have both...you can get a lighter weight grapple and it will work fine just as long as you don't abuse it or can get a heavier one that lifts less, but is more resistant to abuse. Clearly the person in the video didn't have that mindset... he got a really light weight grapple and went to town with it, then got struck with reality. ...again it should have been communicated to him better by homestead, though they do (like EA) clearly point the risk on their website.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Ya I've seen EA videos of them testing on an oversized tractor. And he actually showed how he DID bend tines a little bit with disclaimer it was testing on larger tractor. HOWEVER he didn't intentionally use top lid to bulldoze or pull stump etc.
Maybe you should watch the video all the way through as well as other EA videos where they test the Wicked grapples.

Travis mentioned the "Homie" grapple that was referenced by @Matt Ellerbee during their factory walkthrough video that was released today. EA is really on it. They discuss how the EA grapples will handle the abuse.

Yep, currently the best implement company ... no question about it. Other companies are going to have to up their game.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Maybe you should watch the video all the way through as well as other EA videos where they test the Wicked grapples.

Travis mentioned the "Homie" grapple that was referenced by @Matt Ellerbee during their factory walkthrough video that was released today. EA is really on it. They discuss how the EA grapples will handle the abuse.

Yep, currently the best implement company ... no question about it. Other companies are going to have to up their game.

Yea whatever continue to drink that cool-aid. Freedom in America, so why not. Impressive marketing for EA to get people like you in their fan club. LOL 'best implement company'... WoW...

Go bend one of their grapples via abuse and call them to see if they send you a new one. Looking forward seeing the report back.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yea whatever continue to drink that cool-aid. Freedom in America, so why not. Impressive marketing for EA to get people like you in their fan club. LOL 'best implement company'... WoW...

Go bend one of their grapples via abuse and call them to see if they send you a new one. Looking forward seeing the report back.
Impressive marketing, not really. Great products and exemplary customer service ... heck yeah. Since I actually own four EA products I probably am drinking their Kool-aid and loving it. I also have Land Pride products with no complaints there either. The more options we have the better, and it's good to know that I'll never be in a situation where you're on a waiting list ahead of me ... I really like that. Hmmm ... what should I order next from EA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: He didn't crush the lid in while "bulldozing". He bent the lid out while pulling.

OK.. to me 'bulldozing' is a term where a big, heavy, powerful machine is USED to do 'ugly' work like tree removal. Last dozer I ran had a 30T winch on the back and made very short work of tree removal.

re: He bent the lid out while pulling.

Please explain How and WHY ,pulling back on a grapple is proper use of the grapple ? Where does it say in ANY 'grapple' literature...something like 'designed to PULL tree strumps out of the ground'.

he's using, really ABUSING, the wrong tool for the job he's trying to do. Anyone can clearly see that in the video he posted.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
re: He didn't crush the lid in while "bulldozing". He bent the lid out while pulling.

OK.. to me 'bulldozing' is a term where a big, heavy, powerful machine is USED to do 'ugly' work like tree removal. Last dozer I ran had a 30T winch on the back and made very short work of tree removal.

re: He bent the lid out while pulling.

Please explain How and WHY ,pulling back on a grapple is proper use of the grapple ? Where does it say in ANY 'grapple' literature...something like 'designed to PULL tree strumps out of the ground'.

he's using, really ABUSING, the wrong tool for the job he's trying to do. Anyone can clearly see that in the video he posted.
I don't have a need to do what the Homestead owner was doing but I don't think he was being excessive with the grapple.

Check out another EA video showing the Wickeder 55 in action. Go to the 5 minute mark and see how Ted tests the lid and tell me that the Homestead guy would have bent the lid on a Wicked 55.

As Ted says, "We're not scared to pull on our lid".

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I don't have a need to do what the Homestead owner was doing but I don't think he was being excessive with the grapple.

Check out another EA video showing the Wickeder 55 in action. Go to the 5 minute mark and see how Ted tests the lid and tell me that the Homestead guy would have bent the lid on a Wicked 55.

As Ted says, "We're not scared to pull on our lid".

I LOVE the marketing... it's clever.

The force of 'gently pulling' using a chain dangling on an excavator boom to the end of tractor loader (while weight is shifted to rear as the tractor is lifted) is NOT the same as a tractor in 4WD jerking or ramming a stationary object.

Same concept that it's easy to hammer in a nail, but difficult to drive it in with force.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I LOVE the marketing... it's clever.

The force of 'gently pulling' using a chain dangling on an excavator boom to the end of tractor loader (while weight is shifted to rear as the tractor is lifted) is NOT the same as a tractor in 4WD jerking or ramming a stationary object.

Same concept that it's easy to hammer in a nail, but difficult to drive it in with force.
The chain is exerting a point load on the lid rather than a distributed load which greatly increases the chance of buckling an inferior lid. Also, if the object is fixed in the ground you're not going to get the kind of momentum you can get with a chain connected to secure object because the tractor isn't able to move rearward before the load increases. Ted pulls on the lid both in line with the loader/lid and perpendicular to the lid.

But once again, EA is the only manufacturer regularly showing these sorts of tests. As Ted says in the video ...

"I've read on some grapples that look similar to this and it says no pulling allowed, no back dragging
allowed, and that's what a rake grapple's for so I don't really understand that. As far as we're concerned you can do pretty much do anything you want to with this."

wicked55_test.jpg

Last edited: