EA vs Homestead

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The reason everyone orders the EA grapple is because they are up front about the weight and the materials used. The hardox and 450 steel is simply top shelf steel. And they laser cut the holes in it for weight. It's pretty much the strongest grapple you can get in the 200-something pound class. There's plenty of videos of people plucking logs by the end (which you should always be careful doing to avoid bending the tines) but no one has ever shown a Wicked grapple actually tweaked from doing this. And then there are the factory videos of them abusing the heck out of it and the tractor and it not bending. It's kind of hard to argue with that.

You can find quite a few examples of the Land Pride grapple getting tweaked and bent.

I'm sure you CAN hurt the Wicked grapple, but it looks like it would take some serious doing. So I'm about a month in on the (at the time) 5-6 month wait to get one. I want the strongest AND the lightest possible. Unless another company starts showing exactly what they are building their grapples and other implements out of and how, they won't make a dent in EA's reputation even if they have a great product.

Minthral, EA just told you 6 to 9 months now? Holy cow. That really is out there.
This "out of stock" , must pre-order, wait for everything economy, is looking a lot like Russia of the relatively recent past.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
EA fanboi here. Had the 55" on the LX, and got the 60" for the MX. Going today to pick up my box blade from freight terminal.

On your L3901, I would go 55", you wont hurt it and it will save you some lift capacity.
They work great for privet!
33B9535C-FB18-4DCC-9766-D04722D69A61.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: EA just told you 6 to 9 months now? Holy cow. That really is out there.

wow, that's just NUTZ !
Anyone that can wait that long, really doesn't need the implement for anything important.
By the time it does arrive, your family could have grown by another 'little one' !
Now sell the grapple for a few boxes of diapers:)

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
The reason everyone orders the EA grapple is because they are up front about the weight and the materials used. The hardox and 450 steel is simply top shelf steel. And they laser cut the holes in it for weight. It's pretty much the strongest grapple you can get in the 200-something pound class. There's plenty of videos of people plucking logs by the end (which you should always be careful doing to avoid bending the tines) but no one has ever shown a Wicked grapple actually tweaked from doing this. And then there are the factory videos of them abusing the heck out of it and the tractor and it not bending. It's kind of hard to argue with that.

You can find quite a few examples of the Land Pride grapple getting tweaked and bent.

I'm sure you CAN hurt the Wicked grapple, but it looks like it would take some serious doing. So I'm about a month in on the (at the time) 5-6 month wait to get one. I want the strongest AND the lightest possible. Unless another company starts showing exactly what they are building their grapples and other implements out of and how, they won't make a dent in EA's reputation even if they have a great product.

Minthral, EA just told you 6 to 9 months now? Holy cow. That really is out there.
Homestead is clear about using Hardox 450 as well. It is on their spec sheet for the independence series and the pinnacle series.

https://homesteadimplements.com/content/Specification Sheets/Pinnacle/RG-P.pdf

EA gave me a lead time of 5-6 months on Monday when I asked and Homestead told me 6-8 weeks.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Homestead is clear about using Hardox 450 as well. It is on their spec sheet for the independence series and the pinnacle series.

https://homesteadimplements.com/content/Specification Sheets/Pinnacle/RG-P.pdf

EA gave me a lead time of 5-6 months on Monday when I asked and Homestead told me 6-8 weeks.
I was told 6-8 weeks also, ended up being 15 weeks. Still better than 6-9 months, well worth the wait, for what I think is an equivalent or superior product.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just read the story behind Jamestown Advanced Products who owns Homestead Implements and it's a cool story. EA has a cool story too and I think it's awesome that two American owned companies employing American workers are offering excellent products.

Homestead might be able to build implements faster for not so obvious reasons, but whatever model the OP buys I hope that he reports back and gives a review of sorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Advil

Jan 5, 2022
West Coast
The link to the sub-compact grapple from homestead was also interesting. It only opens to 29"... BUT it's 54" wide and only 190lbs! That puts it 49lbs lighter than the Wicked 55. That really could be the absolute ideal option for the smallest tractors.

I've got a L3901 coming and have a few logs to move bigger than 29" and some tough jobs to do so I'm sticking with the heavier duty Wicked 55 with a 36" opening. But Homestead's comparable 55" also opens to 39" and is only 300lbs. about 10lbs heavier than the Wicked. A total toss up in weight difference.

Would be nice to see some more videos of the Homestead grapples in action.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
advil's logs...
curious..so I did some math..
a 10' section of white pin ,10' long will weigh in at 1600#, probably twice what the L3901 will lift with the loader
sure be a shame to cut them up smaller..

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Matt, thanks for posting that video. I don't know what size DOM tubing Homestead uses in their grapples or whether the use shown in the video could be considered to be excessive but it sure is disappointing for the owner. Homestead's response to his situation is probably the most disappointing thing of all. Basically offering him a replacement lid for $870 which still doesn't address the issue.

I like the center hinge in the Wicked 60 and larger grapples from EA.

I've got four EA implements and would buy from them again and again.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Matt, thanks for posting that video. I don't know what size DOM tubing Homestead uses in their grapples or whether the use shown in the video could be considered to be excessive but it sure is disappointing for the owner. Homestead's response to his situation is probably the most disappointing thing of all. Basically offering him a replacement lid for $870 which still doesn't address the issue.

I like the center hinge in the Wicked 60 and larger grapples from EA.

I've got four EA implements and would buy from them again and again.
Lol, homestead pretty much got raped in the comments. Saying his use was “abuse” in their eyes.

Looked like normal operation to me.

I wonder if it’s even DOM? Could be black shit pipe, chain link fence rail? Who knows. IDK, I haven’t ventured to their website to look.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Lol, homestead pretty much got raped in the comments. Saying his use was “abuse” in their eyes.

Looked like normal operation to me.
I thought the same based on the types of trees he was pushing/pulling on. Nothing excessive as far as I could tell. Nothing like the abuse Ted subjects the Wicked 55 to in this video.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I'm also in the market for a grapple for my L3301.

The pinnacle series is a better comparison. 375 LB 60 inch AR450 steel grapple. Looks good actually. Lead time of 6-8 weeks...

I just called today about EA grapple. Lead time is 6-9 months atm. They recently increased prices by as about 10%. Their 55 inch 200 LB grapple too light duty for L series (IMO). Their 60 inch beefed up version is good and $3300 is reasonable for 400 LB AR450 grapple. They seem to be primarily targeting Land Pride as primary competitor and trying to 'best' their products.

So I live in NC and about 2 hrs from EA. I totally think it's cool what they are doing. They also pick up their phone and are reasonably friendly. End of the day, I think they got a bit of 'marketing momentum' going that is adding bias. There's plenty of content out there showing their 'wicked grapple,' but on seeing the actual thing build quality and in use, I can't actually say its any better than anyone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say despite EA trying and the aggressive marketing, I find the Land Pride grapple seems like a better designed product (simple thing about hoses rubbing still not fixed). If you have the opportunity, ignore the BS EA 'sales pitch' why theirs's is better and compare the two visually and in use.

Land Pride grapples are in stock at number of dealers in NC and only a few hundred more than the equivalent EA grapple. You can also 0% 24 month finance them (+some fees).

In summary, IMO 'how great EA wicked grapple' is way overblown and it seems people are drinking the cool aid. Look into other brands... don't think you'll be disappointed.

EDIT: Did a thorough comparison of EA and homestead grapple and honestly struggling to find where EA is better (aside from marketing).
My 60" LP unit cut a hose on the frame the first year I had it. You would think LP having made them for so long would have figured that out by now. Also, NOT covered under warranty.

My LP will stay slightly more open on the opposite side I just used. Every time, unless it is something small/uniform/light. Basically bends every time it is used.

My LP has had to be welded twice now (for known weak pivot points).

I do not own an EA grapple.

I did own and wear out a LP boxblade as well as a frontier boxblade before buying an EA extreme duty box blade that is wearing well to this point.

My only caution with EA would be the leadtime. If you can wait, I would.

Interesting question why is the wait so long? They have added capacity, they have added a shift etc. Production is through the roof.

A. because they have a ton of orders because a lot of people are happy with their product/quality.

So in essence the biggest gripe about EA is the leadtime which is long because they make great stuff and a LOT of people want it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Interesting question why is the wait so long? They have added capacity, they have added a shift etc. Production is through the roof.
I was talking with Neal Messick recently and he mentioned that a lot of fabrication companies are having a hard time finding and keeping welders. This has affected their ability to stock some products. I seem to remember EA mentioning something similar.

I was a welder/diver in a past life and welding was a good career. There were some crap projects, but for the most part I enjoyed it. I made good money and it's skillful work where the good ones get called back time and time again. When I changed careers and went back to university I used to get calls all the time asking me if I was available for work. I did continue to work as a welder through my college years but I was able to pick and choose what, when and where.

Good welders are making $25 to $30 an hour in fabrication shops these days so not sure why they're hard to find and keep. Perhaps there simply aren't enough good ones around.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I wonder if it’s even DOM? Could be black shit pipe, chain link fence rail? Who knows. IDK, I haven’t ventured to their website to look.
This note from Homestead was posted on another forum, from Aug 2021:

As the world continues to navigate unprecedented interruptions in the global supply chain, Homestead Implements is not immune to challenges. A critical portion of our popular Pinnacle Series Grapple design became progressively more difficult and more expensive to purchase through supply chain interruptions. To avoid delaying orders further, we tasked our engineering and purchasing departments with finding a replacement part, and they delivered!

Little did we know, a stronger, more robust, and more heavy-duty implement would be the final result! The new, 7/32" thick schedule 80 super heavy-duty piping for the top lid of our grapple provides a tangible increase in functionality and strength while adding minimal weight to the bottom line. Lift boulders, limbs, tree trunks, and more with no visible flex in the top lid. The Hardox 450 steel teeth provide superior resistance to wear and tear with impressive grip strength.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Sounds like A500B structural steel pipe - 58 KSI tensile strength.

Dan
More like A53 with a Ys of 30,000 psi ... not even close to DOM.

EA replaced the DOM in the lid on the Wicked 55 and replaced it with a folded piece of Hardox. Not sure about the Wicked 60 and 66 models.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
More like A53 with a Ys of 30,000 psi ... not even close to DOM.

EA replaced the DOM in the lid on the Wicked 55 and replaced it with a folded piece of Hardox. Not sure about the Wicked 60 and 66 models.
My 60 has the bent hardox.
FF825889-80E6-4F40-9C45-3AEACBEBC543.jpeg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My 60 has the bent hardox.
View attachment 74009
Very cool. That Hardox channel is incredibly strong in the direction that it needs to be. I'd be more than happy if my Wicked 60 had shown up with that new feature but I'll make do with the DOM for the next 30 years! :ROFLMAO: I do like the serrations on the channel ... functional and cool looking.