Dump Trailer finally finished

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
I finished my steel dump trailer couple weeks ago, and just finished installing my aux. hudraulics on the rear of my 2012 BX25, thanks to Princess Auto, supplied the twin valve and hoses and fittings. I plumbed it in series in the backhoe/3pt hitch circuit, simply jumpered into the existing lines with quick-fits couplers. I was told about this method by my local Kubota dealer, rather than having a valve body hard-piped on the tractor at big dollar cost.
The dump box on the trailer is 48" X 54", long enough to let me dump a loader bucket into it without spilling the ends. I built the frame from 2" X 2" box steel, with a manual tip feature in case I am tinkering without the tractor, but my most pleasing feature is the scratch-built hydraulic hoist, built from a photo in the Princess Auto catalog, using a 2.5"X 12" stroke cylinder. Paint is International Orange, very close, if not a perfect match to the Kubota colour.
Today I loaded it up with wet sand to rounded full, and brought it to our backyard playground. At dead idle, the hoist raised thebox of sand slowly, and by raising the RPM just a tad, raised it fully in approx. 6 seconds. I could not be more pleased with it.
I used 13" Honda car wheels, but I reversed them backwards to give me an extra 6" wider wheelbase for stability. I'll be wire cup-brushing them to paint the inside (now outside) of the rims later this week.
-Now to plan my winter cab.
Any questions or comments, fire away.

Attachments

motmow

Equipment
L2350DT, JD 1070, L245
Jun 13, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Nice! I'm tempted to build a 5X8 so that I can run up the street to get a yard of rocks every now and then.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine

You have an L2350 and you need a 5x8 trailer to hall a yard of rock:confused:
LeTourneau L-2350 :p :D

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
Very nice can this be taken on the street.
The trailer could be made to run behind my truck, however I did not wire it for lights. It is only intended for yard/pit use. $30 could certainly buy the tail/signal/brake light kit, and then simply attach a licence plate to the tailgate.
But no, I won't be doing that, I've already built an 8' X 5' tilt trailer for my last smaller tractor, then after buying the BX25D, I added a second set of torsion flex axles, and lengthened it to now be 12' X 5', with 4 Honda 16" mag rims. It still tilts when driving up onto the tail ramps, and is long enough to hold the tractor with front loader- and any attachment I choose, either the backhoe, tiller, or the Kubota rear snowblower. I added a 5000 lb. screw jack from the tongue to the tilt bed, so I can force a tilt without any weight, for when I want to load my motorcycle or something lighter. This crank jack will raise the front of the trailer bed 16", more than enough to make a level match at the tail gate/ramp.
Now with two sets of 2000 lb. torsion flex suspension axles, have lots of carrying capacity for my gem of a toy, and handles steady as a rock on the road.
I can post photos if anyone wants to see the job.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Excellent work, and yes, pictures, please!

I would be VERY interested in any pictures/details of the hoist.

I built a dump trailer with the cylinder directly connected between the frame and the bed because A) I didn't know any better and B) it's what I had laying around in the junk pile.

It works okay but doesn't lift much. That's mostly due to the cylinder bore size and now I want to build a scissors hoist and use a MUCH bigger (in terms of bore size) cylinder.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
Re: Dump Trailer finally finished//Now Dump Trailer #2

After finishing my hydraulic hoist Dump Trailer for my BX25, I hinted to my Son in Law that he needed one for his B2610 with FEL. --So I began building his last month, didn't do the Hyd Hoist thing, but build it with a very tender touch tilt, and ensured it was longer than his 60" front loader bucket. I used 3"heavy wall angle for the frame, standard 2000 lb axle with 4"X4 stud hubs which take 14" Honda car rims. The box is framed as shown, with 1/16" sheet steel floor, front and tailgate. I cheated and used 1/2" ply for the sides, and pressure treated 5/4 X 6" decking lumber for the sacrificial top sides, which can be easily replaced if damaged by the bucket. I made the tailgate have a latch lever same as a dump truck would have, just to be cool- but it does work well. A trailer tongue jack was mounted to enable him to unhook and load the trailer, then simply back under the hitch again to deliver the load.
Box dimensions are 48" wide X 66" long. He's a happy man now.

I'll be starting my Winter Cab next.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Gregger, I wish you would do two things:
A) Move to Arizona.
B) Go into production.
Fantastic workmanship & design!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would set up dump lever so it can be operated from seat. Tug on a rope and drive away.

Very nice. Just what i need right now. Picture following a combine to catch the chaff out the back. Biomass for pellets. Would need a cab or a good respirator.