Dumb Kids !!!!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well one of the grand kids was here and said Im almost out of gas can I have some till I get paid tomorrow,,,, well what are ya gona say right,,,, Sure the cans are in the garage,,,,, all quiet and she comes back out and says there was only about half a can and I thought :confused: mmmmmm there was 3 full cans I keep for the gen set,,, I cycle each one of them out about once a month,, even with the Stabil I mean fresh gas is good and the truck uses gas much faster then the gen set so use the old up,,,, anyway,, I said where did you get the gas from,, well the yellow can by the tractor:D,,,,DUHHHHHHHH ahhuummm that was diesel fuel :eek:,, oh is that why it smelled funny? SO let me ask this with a 10 gallon tank with about 4 gallons of diesel and filled with MY GAS,, how much do you think it will much up things????

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You're going to have to drain it, I believe. An older diesel engine can handle a little gas in the tank, but not vice-versa. Lucky that the tank was so empty- probably the easiest thing to do is to drop the tank and drain it out, then clean it.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Diesel won't vaporize in a gas engine and gas engines can't burn liquid. What's worse is the diesel is heavier than gasoline. It will settle to the bottom of the tank and that'll be what the fuel pump picks up. I would unplug the battery just to make sure it stays out of the fuel system til you drain the tank. Should fuel get up into the injectors it can get expensive to pay someone to take the whole system apart and clean the diesel out of it. It likely won't run at all so it won't destroy the engine but you're going to have to drain the tank and dispose of the mixture.

You might be able to get away with siphoning it out and refilling but I'm not sure. If you do try siphoning it I'd jack the front of the car up and set the jack stands so there was a slight slope towards the fill cap and attempt to get the hose down into the corner of the tank.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Diesel won't vaporize in a gas engine and gas engines can't burn liquid. What's worse is the diesel is heavier than gasoline. It will settle to the bottom of the tank and that'll be what the fuel pump picks up. I would unplug the battery just to make sure it stays out of the fuel system til you drain the tank. Should fuel get up into the injectors it can get expensive to pay someone to take the whole system apart and clean the diesel out of it. It likely won't run at all so it won't destroy the engine but you're going to have to drain the tank and dispose of the mixture.

You might be able to get away with siphoning it out and refilling but I'm not sure. If you do try siphoning it I'd jack the front of the car up and set the jack stands so there was a slight slope towards the fill cap and attempt to get the hose down into the corner of the tank.
If it can be siphoned- I tried to siphon the gas out of my wife's Windstar, and the hose wouldn't go all the way in to the tank. I don't know what blocked it, but it was effective.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
less than 50% diesel wont harm the engine, whether it runs, or runs right is a different story. once had a buddy fill his car clear up with diesel say 15 gals in a 18 gal tank drove it all the way to work ~30 mi. got off work and it wouldn't start back up. while the motor was hot it ran just fine, this was back in the carbuerator days. can't say for sure what it might do as far as sooting up the oxygen sensor etc,

Last edited:

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
Depending on the make/model of the car, it probably has an electronic fuel pump. So let the pump push the fuel out of the tank and into a can, you can get a few feet of hose and a coupling for a few bucks. I drained all the gas from my Bronco to run my genset a couple years ago, right after a tornado took out several towers and high voltage powerlines that fed the Northern half of my state:mad:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Crawl under the car look along the frame rail and somewhere is a fuel filter. Undo the fuel line just before the filter and that should get the sloppy mix of gas/diesel out.

I can't count the number of times grown ass adults have pumped diesel into their gasoline cars from the gas station. How in the hell they did that since we all know the diesel nozzle is alot larger then gas. And the handle is green or yellow in color to denote diesel. I've hauled many gas bangers to the dealer for them to drain out diesel when I was driving tow trucks!

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Well, I have done this myself and lived to tell about it.
The '81 Suburban never even missed a tick.

What make/model vehicle did the mixture go into?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wellllll its a Honda accord a 98 or 99 I think with about a zillion hard miles on it. I have heard this car coming in the drive way just bangin away and theres no oil on the dip stick fill the oil and the damn thing purrs like a kitten.. she started it up and drove home but maybe getting it started was the left over gas and it was hot enough to vaporize the diesel/ gas mixture, cause maybe its thinned down enough I dunno,, I guess we find out tomorrow when she heads out to work

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
If it continues to run, the best course of action might be to keep the tank full of high-test fuel for a while, refilling it at every opportunity:

The solution to pollution is dilution!

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
This happened to me a few years back in my company car, it was a 2006 ford escape. The station has diesel in the unleaded tank. I drive it about 20 miles with no problem but when I went to start it the next day, no go.

Had it towed to the local ford dealer, all they did was drain the tank and refill it with gas. I actually saw them driving around town not long after it got dropped off.

I want to say that the mechanic said it wasn't as bad as running gas through a Diesel engine. ???

The station paid for he repairs, guess that doesn't apply here.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Crawl under the car look along the frame rail and somewhere is a fuel filter. Undo the fuel line just before the filter and that should get the sloppy mix of gas/diesel out.

I can't count the number of times grown ass adults have pumped diesel into their gasoline cars from the gas station. How in the hell they did that since we all know the diesel nozzle is alot larger then gas. And the handle is green or yellow in color to denote diesel. I've hauled many gas bangers to the dealer for them to drain out diesel when I was driving tow trucks!
Not all diesel nozzles are large, and some stations have green handles on every hose. I know one station that has an extra large nozzle and pump (it pumps FAST) for large trucks, and a pump with a smaller nozzle for autos. Both of their diesel pumps have green handles, the rest black. A person has to be careful and watch what they are doing. I also think that if they aren't used to pumping diesel (such as if they had borrowed a diesel vehicle), or if they own both gas and diesel, they get confused or forgetful.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The station paid for he repairs, guess that doesn't apply here.
Some how I figure I 'll wind up with the bill anyway,,lol,,,Well no call this morning, so I called her she said it started up but was running really rough I told her to put 98 oct in and hopefuly that will help,but she headed out and got to work, so maybe there wasn't as much fuel as I thought,,, But I figure its still gona cost me,,:(