Dual rear wheels on a BX

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
see if I can post this picture of a duel rear on a BX

20130629_160809 didn't work oh well that is the photo number.

it had duels on the front and rear!!

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I have no need for duals on my BX23S as I know how to drive it within 'design limits'. Had a 30 year old ST12 with rare duals/forklift, zero rear axle issues so I'm curious about duals on BX tractors. While some disagree, no one has yet to show proof of damage.
>>>>>>>>>>>

If you think it is a good idea, go for it....
Actually.... Now you got me thinking how to do a homemade frame to mount duals. I'm thinking something like 4 heavy wall tube spacers bolted between wheels with the holes provided for wheel weight mounting. And all thread rod.

Than the details of what kind of bracing between the 4 stand offs. I'm sure it is doable. Just the details of how... Time to get out graph paper and pencils..

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Take a one foot pipe wrench and see how much force you get then take a 4 foot wrench and see how much force you get, that's the same issue with duals.
Duals multiply the force on the axles tremendously, it's not a matter of weight it's a matter of torque. ;)
Just curious as to how adding additional wheels is more negative in terms of stress than say filling the rear tires with liquid? The weight and work required to make them rotate would be identical if not more right?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just curious as to how adding additional wheels is more negative in terms of stress than say filling the rear tires with liquid? The weight and work required to make them rotate would be identical if not more right?
It's not rotational force that's the issue, it leverage, the farther you move away from the bearing the more leverage you apply to those bearings and housing.

Think of it like a breaker bar, short bar not much force, long bar and you can twist off a grade 8 bolt in a second! ;)

The rears, Yea unless you push and abuse it real hard you're probably not going to ever have an issue, the front on the other hand, take apart a BX front drive and you'll see very quickly why it's a bad idea to turn the rims out, let alone add duals, very tiny parts in there for a front axle setup!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
This is the same concept as bowl in and bowl out rims. Many people (here included) do it all the time. No issues whatsoever IMO. This is just for the tears of course. Not seeing the point for the fronts.

farmer12071

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Jun 14, 2020
NY
A number of guys say the BX tractors can be tippy …. has anybody come up with a dual rear wheel mod ??
I have a Kubota BX25 and I have a set of duals on the back and on the front not for being tippy but for floatation I run mine through a lot of swampy ground with a 4 foot brush hog and anyone with a BX knows they are useless in any real mud because of ground clearence there is no clearence but with the front and back duals it floats on top and works great I have been 5+ years on duals without a single issue and have mowed hundreds of swamp acres no one else seems to want to touch. I made my spacers from well casing for rear they bolt on with the inner wheel which I changed from lug bolts to wheel studs a the spacers have a flange that the outside daul bolts to and on the front I used a set of old riding mower front rims and cut the outside bead seats off and drilled holes to matched the kubota weight holes in the rims and just used long carriage bolts it all works good. Only issue I have had and it is hard to say if it is from the duals or just a kubota issue because many have had the same issue it seems I have to do inner tie rods once a year I seem to get about 300-400 hrs out of them but not sure if that is dual issue or kubota issue since I have never ran my tractor without the duals.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
like this, "fill your boots" LOL.
There was a guy that put duals on the front and back of his BX some years ago. I saw a video on YouTube of the tractor in operation, and there was a thread either here or over at TBN on this same subject.

If I recall correctly he removed the duals after a while. I do not recall why, but do not think it was due to any mechanical problems.

If you are good with google perhaps you can find the thread(s) I am thinking of.

I recently bought a set of 2“ spacers that were quite well made from Walmart for $44 delivered. Went on a BX23S. And put a set of 1.25 inch spacers on my BX2200 that cost under $40 delivered, off eBay I think. Also quite well made.

I would follow the advice given above and try wheel spacers first. Since the wheel spacers are hub centric you could even reliably stack them if you wanted. I tried this on the bench and they fit together quite snuggly.

There is a recent thread here where the poster listed specific details on these wheel spacers, that are made for a Jeep but work perfectly on the BX series.

edit: Do not think it was Farmer12071 that I was thinking of... :)

2nd edit: I need to read threads more closely (thought I did). The video PaPow refered to is the one I remembered...:mad:

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Look lets look at this logically.
First off ANY tractor can be tippy if used improperly thats just a simple fact of life!
Secondly think before you do,, never cut across a hill side to side, many a BIG tractor has gone over like that too.
Thirdly go simple, fill the rear tires, that puts no weight on the axles but weight on the ground where you want it, or wheel weights, or both, ( I have both, and trust me my little BX has worked hard for her supper ) OH and check your tire pressure yep that means a lot as well.
Forth, and often the most over looked on all tractors, of all sizes,,,
THINK THE JOB THROUGH it is as simple as that. Many OLD TIMERS died because they got complacent.
What is the worst thing that can happen if I do A, B, or C.
Running a tractor is not rocket science like some folks would like you to believe, 95% is common sense, the other 5% is learning what your machine can and cannot do.
So end this mornings sermon

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yeesh, 400 Canucks for 2 spacers for my BX23s..... !!! I got mine for a case of brown pops and $50 for the 'blanks'.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yeesh, 400 Canucks for 2 spacers for my BX23s..... !!! I got mine for a case of brown pops and $50 for the 'blanks'.
Not sure what size spacers you ended up with, but I bought a set of 2 inch spacers for my son in law's new BX23S a month ago, and they cost something like $44 delivered. I think from walmart, could have been Amazon. (how quickly one forgets as the years add up).

The spacers were actually very well made. And could actually be stacked as they are hub centric, so if one wanted he could have four inch spacers for under $100.

These spacers are the ones sold for use on a jeep, but since BX wheels are lug centric they work fine.

Louisianna

Equipment
bx2200
Feb 11, 2021
illinois
My ex wife can be tippy - 12 years I have used my bx2200 and it hugs the ground like grass with mid mount mower installed - may install sign on back of tractor like on jeep - if you can read this turn me over - NO DUALLYS BAD IDEA - if using without mid mount add 200 pounds mid frame

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I got a kick out of the guys who said, "Duals aren't recommended, use spacers." If they took the time to read their manuals, they'd know spacers on a BX is a definite no-no.

Do I have spacers on mine? Yes
Have I ran duals on other small tractors? Yes
Have I broke stuff? Yes
Do I do what I do, and accept responsibility for what I did? Yes

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
Oh wow, that's pretty neat! I wouldn't put duals on the front for reasons already stated, but I wouldn't hesitate to add them to the rear if I had a set. Really interesting set up ... would make my BX25D a little more useful putting in this forest road to my back-40 through a swap! The stabilizers on the back-hoe mostly get used for lifting the back of the tractor up off the ground so I can slide boards under the tires. I suppose I could remove the hoe and make the tractor lighter - but then if I got stuck it would be harder to get out lol. Anyone sell this as a kit online?

edit - I found them online ...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Oh wow, that's pretty neat! I wouldn't put duals on the front for reasons already stated, but I wouldn't hesitate to add them to the rear if I had a set. Really interesting set up ... would make my BX25D a little more useful putting in this forest road to my back-40 through a swap! The stabilizers on the back-hoe mostly get used for lifting the back of the tractor up off the ground so I can slide boards under the tires. I suppose I could remove the hoe and make the tractor lighter - but then if I got stuck it would be harder to get out lol. Anyone sell this as a kit online?

edit - I found them online ...
Can you post a link to that kit? Thanks...

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
Can you post a link to that kit? Thanks...
Sure thing ...

" This dual wheel spacer adapter kit is designed for tractors with 26×12-12 wheels such as what are found on the John Deere 1023e, 1025r, 1026r, and many Kubota BX Series models of tractors. "