Drawbar - Shank is 15/16

Green Acres

Equipment
L3301 - International Utility 340 Need Parts for it!
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
Drawbar has shank hole of 15/16 - measured and confirmed. NO shank ball found that size???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can use a bushing to size it down to 15/16 to 3/4. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Be hard to drill 15/16 to 1". May need to find a reamer. Something else is to run a tap for the 1" threaded ball. Nut on bottom and that baby will never loosen. A step drill may open it up, just need cutting fluid to make it go a little easier. If it can be removed and clamped in a drill press then a 1" bit may do it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I enlarged a hole in a situation similar to yours. Use a holesaw.

First, use the holesaw to drill a small piece of 1/2" plywood. Clamp the plywood onto the bar with its 1" hole centered over the 15/16" hole. Next, I used a battery drill (to eliminate a shock hazard) and with a small constant stream of water drilled right through. The water keeps things cool and gets rid of the cuttings.

This was on a piece of steel about half as thick as yours, but no reason it won't work.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
You got any friends that work in a machine shop it would take about 5min to drill on a milling machine

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Assuming it's not a metric mis-match, the hole in the drawbar got punched with a 'dull' or worn die.

Try feeling 'inside' the hole on both sides with your fingernail or pointed hook and see if perhaps there's a tiny ridge at each side on the 'inside'. The inside diameter of the hole may be closer to 1-in than you think.

I've run across something similar once and was able to use a hand grinder to knock off the top burr and a coarse rat-tail file to get rid of the internal ridge. The fit for a 1-in shank was tight, but worked.

I knocked the sharp edge off the end of the shank, oiled it, and whacked it with a larger sledge and it went. Don't think it'll come back out anytime soon, nut or not.

Depending on your plans and expected towing load(s), a 3/4-in shank should work fine; I wouldn't even worry about a bushing. Make it up tight and use it (may need a washer on bottom for the nut to seat against the oversize hole).

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Green Acres

Equipment
L3301 - International Utility 340 Need Parts for it!
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
Thanks for all the tips. Stubbyie it is Metric 25mm - I will try what you did:)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Just happened to think: a Dremel with a cylindrical stone might also work for you. Try to keep the hole 'round' but probably not critical.

Around here there is on the market a very coarse grinding stone (more of a rock) called a foundry snagging stone. I'll bet there's a proper name for the thing but I don't know what it is.

Extremely coarse grinding stone, typically cone or cylindrical, with a threaded hole in the base, made to screw onto a hand grinder in place of the usual grinding disk.

I've seen some in smaller sizes: might find one ~1-in or so in diameter that could fit down into the drawbar hole and clean it out in about 30-secs. Wear eye protection due to coarse particles and clumps being shucked off the stone.

Often used by welders to clean up the inside lip of cut pipe.

I usually have to unscrew it from the grinder by grasping gently with a large pair of water pump pliers. Don't crush the stone face.

Relatively inexpensive; I think the last one I bought was $2-$3 for a 2-in dia cone. It's not a precision implement of destruction.

Good luck and please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.